Experimental - Triple Damage Feedback Thread

I’ve played 4 games so far.
1st game Brig (Healing) - We Won, I honestly had a little bit of fun so long as you focus 75% of your heals on the tank We had Reign. However if you are trying to team focus heal she is not recommended due to the lack of packs or more like there CD time

2nd Game Reign (Tank) - It hurt. Team Runs away, they don’t use shield for cover, everyone is focus on getting the kill rather than surviving and win the point.

3rd game Zar (Tank) - the new barrier for the team is good change, maybe reduce the charge rate for damage, rather than the damage itself. But The amount of Rage when you Shield your Ally and and everyone is spread out as they do because its DPS The just want Elims its a form of Bragging rights.

I honestly think the catering to dps in this new game mode is not a very good move. As a Tank/Support Role it’s more of a punishment for us, all because people wanna play DPS. The Role system is an Awesome system, if people cry because of the wait time for DPS it’s that’s there own problem, if you can’t play more than 1 role then you offer nothing to your team. you need to be adaptable.

3 Likes

As a doom main it was very fun shredding back lines left and right HOWEVER I do not want this to go live it feels too chaotic and unfun the 2 2 2 feel is just way smoother and methodical chaos shines on doom but I don’t want to lose more support mains just for shorter queues.

1 Like

321 lacks structure in games.
Hero’s are pushed out of the meta completely while some (Widow, Hanzo, Mei) are welcomed with open arms to never be countered.

I say it once and I’ll say it again, the amount of changes needed to make 321 viable does not justify its implementation.

2 Likes

When was the last time you got full deadeye off with 1 tank on your team

that’s what the changes are for. I can carry as aSolo Dva. but this would have been super broken in 222

I’m a tank player and I definitely disagree with you. Makes the game a bit harder yeah, but it’s also more fun and rewarding and you actually feel like a tank. It doesn’t restrict possibilities, it just closes some possibilities and opens up a myriad of new synergies.

2 Likes

I came back just to post this and flying away:

Playing the old d.va on its own actually felt good. I didn’t feel so useless anymore even though it doesn’t seems like a fair trade off for a missing tank vs an exta dps.

Pros:
-playing tanks feels impactful
-you get at least one of 2 healers to heal you in most cases
-no one can steal your main

Cons:
-losing the tanks pretty much guarantees losing the fight
-people using dps for tank replacements
-playing tank in an unconventional way
-tanks eventually getting bad reputation for playing overbuffed heroes
-potential bullying for not choosing the “correct” tank

Also get rid of the hero rotation. It is the worst thing that could ever happen to this game.

2 Likes

After playing this mode for a few good hours I can certainly say it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. At times it can be fun (key word being "at times) the changes to tanks are interesting. Could I see this as a fun arcade mode that pops up everynow and again like Mystery Heroes or No Limits? Absolutely. Could I see this mode becoming the way we play Overwatch in Quick Play and Ranked? Absolutely not!

Despite the mode being not as bad as I first thought its still an awful way to play Overwatch. It brings back nightmares of having to solo tank before 2/2/2 hit live. So what if I can now do 90 damage per swing as Reinhardt? Three DPS will waltz right in and wreck my shield and myself in an instant. This puts more stress on my supports who struggle to keep me alive but also have to deal with the three babies on DPS running around, overextending, being toxic and diving the enemy solo thinking they can kill all of them by themselves.

Not to mention that queue times for tanks are absurd. At least 10 minutes or so to play tank, with the DPS queue times slightly lowering to 6 minutes, so clearly adding a third damage player doesn’t make the queue times any better.

I love this game to pieces, it literally released on my birthday back in 2016, Characters like Reinhardt, Ana and Sigma have become some of my favourite characters ever, especially Reinhardt who I look at as a role model who saved me from a toxic, depressive way of life. If this mode becomes the way we play Overwatch I’ll either stop playing tank and become a damage player, stop playing and wait until Overwatch 2 releases or worst of all stop playing entirely and find something else to play. I really hope I don’t make that last choice because I love this game to bits.

Overall I think this is an interesting test. It would work as a fun arcade mode for sure. Something to switch things up like most of the arcade modes do. But as the core way to play Overwatch? I feel like this makes playing tank and support much more stressful just so a third damage player gets to have fun after whining about having to queue for damage.

Well, dva didnt get damage nerf like hog and zarya had tho.

Hi, new Overwatch player here. And I’m not a “real” Overwatch player… I’ve only played on the switch (which I love with the motion controls).
And sorry, I haven’t had time to read through the thread before posting… maybe this has already been said.

Just wanted to say that my initial thought on 1-3-2 as a way to solve the long wait times for the Damage role was that… it’s not going to work. The only thing that keeps the queue down is the long wait times. If the wait times goes down then there will be even more players who want to play the Damage role, until the wait times becomes too long so that people start trying less “attractive” roles.

I think that, as always, the root cause need to be fixed instead of trying to apply workarounds. Why does everyone want to play Damage?
I too started with these heroes because that’s what this game seems to be about. It was only the long wait times that made me switch to the Tank, Healer heroes which I play now. “Someone has to do it…”

Maybe the “player of the game” should be replaced with a “TEAM player of the game”. Doing good things for the team as a Tank or Healer doesn’t seem to be what this game is promoting.
Everyone new player wants to be the cool Damage heroes. Make all the roles equally attractive and the queues will be equally long. I think…

Hi guys this is my overall opinion on the changes after a total of max 10 games:

-First of all queue times need more time to be tested because now is pretty chaotic and everybody tries a bunch of stuff so it can’t be valuable data to extract from here.

• Second, The Gameplay overall feels very overwhelming without 2 tanks, meaning that replacing 1 tank with 1 dps makes the game play at a much higher speed and things get out of control very fast resulting in much faster TTK and less reaction time. Comps like dive flanking with widow, doomfist, tracer are much viable, even soldier can have a bigger impact, but certain characters like pharah, bastion, torb, will not be played ever in the long run.

Now, I will address each of the 3 categories:

-Tank: tanks usually were designed to have combinations in skills and playstyle. Losing that makes the gameplay feel very weird making the team to help the tank getting value on those plays for ex: The Player uses Primal Rage in order to disrupt the enemy team but gets no value without a D.va bomb so the team must come up with something in order to compensate for that. It’s true that playing this single tank role makes you feel playing more like the true actual tank for the team wich is good but gameplay overall feels very reliable on your team to make the actual plays.

-Healer: healers need to play allot more around your dps. As a healer you are getting targeted and killed very very fast and you have to play more aggressive in order to get value. Also, your decision making and positioning as a healer is getting way more potential but can cause you loosing the fight pretty much instantly. Basically as a healer if you don’t play around your dps is not gonna get help you in any way.

-DPS: Having 2 extra guys with you feels like you can get away sometimes and being carried by them. You need to play something with fast TTK like widow, tracer, DF, in order to get maximum value, you have more space due to 1 tank missing and focusing on the enemy dps and healers is the go-to strategy. As a dps you must play around your other dps in order to outskill the enemy dps or win duels consistently.

In the end, I just wanna say that these changes should stay in the experimental card for now because they bring too much chaos to a stable game and it can be a very overwhelming experience like you either get rolled or you destroy them, doesn’t leave room for more outplay for either side.
Thank you and have a good day!

there’s not enough protection with 1 tank especially with snipers. They have free rein. Also some if not all tanks need a major upgrade to sustain the damage of 3 dps

Hi overwatch team,
I have a recommendation for the experimental mode. Since it should be a representation for comp, maybe you should disable joining a game in progress because that gives a false vision on the queu times. We know that the queus are shorther, but giving some people a short queu time in a match in progress is not possible in comp. Thanks for giving us this mode to try this stuff out.

I think this update leaves us exactly where we were before the role queue a game where dps do what they want and all tank synergy is lost. Supports and tanks are screwed by this update to satisfy the fact that there are significantly more dps players unwilling to switch.

3 Likes

Honestly, I really like the idea. though, I feel it would need some tweaks in order to feel better:

That being said, I was finally able to play almost every hero and these are my more in-depth thoughts after doing so:

Honestly, I hope when this goes away (probably after about a week, like Jeff said), that you guys tweak it more, behind the scenes, and then let us try it again.

Because, while I do see where this could go, I was hoping we would get more time with the idea and would get to see multiple changes, after we gave you all some feedback.

Something like 132 is a pretty drastic change, So it would be nice to have more than a few days with it, to really “sink our teeth into it” and see how you all would “fine tune” and “grow” this concept.

But, I do at least appreciate that we got to try it, at all. And, so far, I’m enjoying what 132 is, currently, even if I feel it’s not perfect, right now.

1 Like

I think it’s clear that the 1-3-2 would need further balancing if it were to become the main way to play the game, but here’s my feedback:

I love the dynamic of a singular tank being the leader of a team, OP compared to any other role but balanced by the fact there’s only one. I DO think 1-3-2 is better than 2-2-2, but there’s issues with certain DPS that have abilities that shut down tanks just as much as they would any other role, such as Mei and Sombra. Some form of CC resistance should be the standard for tanks.

I’ve had an idea recently, role attributes:

A single attribute that effects every hero in that role, like a passive that’s consistent. For tanks I believe this should be something that effects debuff duration, stuns last less time, anti lasts less time, freeze lasts less time. This is the important one.

Supports could have a slow passive health regen, similar to Mercy, but Mercy would simply have a better version of this as her own passive.

Damage could have an effect that comes in to play when they get an elimination, like they get a couple seconds off their next cooldown.

2 Likes

Okay when I heard about 1/3/2 I should have realized it meant only one tank. Which by reading these comments it seems everyone thinks is DUMB. I would like to see 2/3/1 tested too, since 1st the queue times would go DOWN(My estimation based on my experience and no facts checked) and 2nd as a support main I’d get the oh so wonderdul feeling of solo healing. That’d mean all of the healers would have to be on par with each other but that shouldn’t be much of a stretch, just give Zen 60hps on the heal orb and a Hanzo-jump, let brig have her old heals back, let Lucio heal himself as much as he heals others. Seriously, there are too many stigmas on healers being weak because dps players think they are tanks. (I’m not sure how Ana would manage but Ana’s not my domain, we’re not in in speaking terms)
I do have a lot of ideas for the healers I’ll post at some point but for his discussion those are the main mportant things for I would want to see in the experimental: Two tanks, three dps, one healer.

1 Like

So, I’ve played some games and I think this is not overwatch, it feels a lot more like paladins.
I really like testing the reworked characters but I don’t think that will be a good idea to put this in the “real” game, let me tell you why.
I think we have 3 categories in the dps slot: to burst shields down and do amounts of damge in chokes, for example junkrat, we have hitscans, mccree, and flankers, tracer, and with the 1-3-2 composition we have one of which with only one tank to support that damage and protection for his team, that will be horrible, that will require a lot more communication wich, doesnt happen in most games, at least in my rank (gold/plat). Other thing, imagine im queuing as healer alone, and in my match i get a level 25 doing his placements in tank and he has no exp with tank and hasn’t even played with all of them my game will be ruined because i “dont have a tank”. Also, in my games when the tank dies most of the times the fight, for the team who has a tank still (in a 1-3-2 game) is won, that feels a little too unfair.
But, if this for some reason gets to the “real” game i think zarya and rein are op, orisa, d.va, ball and sigma are terrible, hog and winston it’s fine. I think the rework in take a breather should stay if 1-3-2 doesn’t get added since hog is a tank too much dps, just take the healing you do to allies out because i had a game that i was with gold healing wich it’s not fine.
Thank you for your attention

1 Like

Just revert role queue or make comp classic alongside 2-2-2. Nobody want This OWL trash ruleset you keep forcing down casuals throat. Your league is dying for a reason.

big wut?

as for myself, so far i’ve got maybe 6 games in tripple dps and i have no clue how it actually plays yet because they’ve all been garbage quality quickplay games