Experimental Mode – Shotgun Consistency

Hey everyone!

We’re back with another Experimental mode focused on increasing consistency with shotgun-style weapons (Patch Notes). As with all Experimental modes, these changes are not guaranteed to reach the live version of the game.

What are we trying to address?

Heroes with shotgun-style weapons currently experience an amount of randomness in their shots which can affect the reliability of some heroes’ weapons. We want to experiment with changes that will allow these weapons to behave more consistently.

What are we testing?

We’re looking to increase the consistency of shotgun weapons by removing the random rotation of bullets. It’s important to note that individual pellets within the shot will still have a tiny amount of variance to their firing angle so the weapon still feels like a shotgun. These changes will affect the following heroes:

• Ashe
  • Doomfist
  • D.Va
  • Reaper
  • Roadhog
  • Torbjörn

Paired with these changes to shotguns, we’re also testing with some additional adjustments to Roadhog’s and Torbjörn’s weapons. Recent changes to Roadhog has made him too powerful against high health pool targets. We’re reducing Roadhog’s Scrap Gun damage to address his effectiveness against high HP targets, but keeping his Chain Hook combo consistency with this experimental change. We’re also making some adjustments to Torbjörn’s Secondary Fire; these changes will decrease the overall damage-per-second but will increase the impact of landing a good shot.

We hope you check out the new Experimental mode and provide us with your feedback! Science will reveal the truth – And all great science requires data! As always, this is an Experiment, so the changes in this test may not reach the live game.

Thank you!

69 Likes

Awesome!!!

Here are the changes btw:
HERO UPDATES (ONLY IN EXPERIMENTAL)

General

• Shotgun patterns no longer apply random rotation. This will affect the following heroes:
    • Ashe
    • Doomfist
    • D.Va
    • Reaper
    • Roadhog
    • Torbjörn

Developer Comments: We’re making weapons that utilize shotgun patterns more reliable by removing the random rotation applied to each shot. Individual pellets within the shot will still have a tiny amount of variance to their firing angle for the sake of the shotgun weapon feel, but this change will provide significantly more control over aiming these weapons.

Roadhog

Scrap Gun

• (General) Projectile damage reduced from 7 to 6 (150 total per shot)

Developer Comments: When combined with the changes to shotgun patterns, we’re looking to keep Roadhog’s Chain Hook combo reliable, but not overly powerful against heroes with higher health pools.

Torbjörn

Rivet Gun

• (Secondary Fire) Recovery increased from 0.6 to 0.8 seconds
  • (Secondary Fire) Damage increased from 10.5 to 12.5 per projectile (125 total per shot)

Developer Comments: This change to Torbjörn’s secondary fire is aimed at giving it a stronger role at close range. We’re hoping this change allows each shot to feel more impactful, since it has a larger burst. To keep this change in line, we’ve also reduced the damage-per-second.

Source:

28 Likes

Why are you always first to comment lol

18 Likes

dw everyone can stop crying now, hog is gone :crab:

13 Likes

Idk tbh

2 Likes

Thank god, maybe I can play freaking main tank again

No rush or dive feels so bad to play

5 Likes

Another good patch…

nice

39 Likes

Still no Mei nerf reverts or buff compensations?
She is the worst hero in the game… people who played 500h+ on a hero only to have it dumpstered months later don’t deserve this treatment.
Look on her primary ammo consumption, on her cryo, on her alternate fire, on her ultimate travel time and consistency.
There is so much to fix on her.

12 Likes

In the proper forum tradition of whining without actually trying the changes, I’mma say that there’s no substitute for a fixed or Gaussian spread pattern with a guaranteed center pellet.

11 Likes

No Mei or Symm buff huh?
They are the worst hero of the entire roster now, they can sit with bastion and cry in the corner together.

14 Likes

Sweet.

I know a lot of people have been requesting changes along these line for the shotgun weapons for a while now.

3 Likes

So Ashe is affect with a shotgun-like pattern? I assume her unscoped fire?

I feel like this will make Torb feel nice to play. Also, great, a good Hog nerf.

3 Likes

Probably her coach gun

12 Likes

coach gun is a shotgun

15 Likes

I feel you man but she is far from the WORST hero. In the right situations she is still very good, just not as oppressive

10 Likes

Bastion: enters the chat.

3 Likes

I figured that was in reference to her coachgun.

But is it a multiple pellet shot? Never felt like it…

can you not just appreciate a good change?

5 Likes