"Every player equally equipped"

I agree, Blizzard is already pretty buttydypuppudy in handling things when it comes to Overwatch in my eyes. After the whole pepe thing

REALLY BLIZZARD CANT CONTAIN A.S.S?

Hardware is user dependent and it is up to the user to acquire the necessary components or the ones they want to use. Within the acceptable parameters (ie no external engines, peripherals that allow for unintended advantages)

Blizzard is giving everyone equal access to in game abilities through software. That’s what they’re saying. The software might not be balanced according to the opinions of the players, but the unbalanced software is available to both teams in an unaltered capacity.

Alright hardware is user dependent. Why is the game not locked at 30fps then? Since more people can run it at that rate. Thus leveling the playing field. My point here is that blizzard said “They want a level playing field” Which is never going to be the case in any sport/Esport. Better equipment will always exist. Better coaching will always exist.

2 Likes

While the idea of Visor really interested me, as far as a tool that could potentially help those with less game sense. I can see the problems it could’ve brought to the table as far as an unfair advantage to those that use it. I can’t comment on the other thing, since I don’t know anything about it.

As far as the hardware of a PC goes, I see it kind of like drag racing in a way. Both cars need to have slicks and certain other safety things added to their cars(broad band internet, keyboard, mouse etc). However, the motors can pretty much have what ever the driver wants to put in them( better GPU, high Hz monitor, etc.). I would see Visor as being able to see the engine specs of the car you’re racing ahead of time, and being able to make adjustments to get an advantage your opponent wouldn’t have.

Not to mention, while I have a 144Hz monitor and have noticed an improvement in my own gameplay this only goes for accuracy and tracking. No amount of hardware upgrades will improve your game sense, team-play, ult economy, or the myriad of other needed skills to be a successful player.

Still you improved right? And that could have been prevented by locking the framerate to 30 fps right? Equal playing field and all

Industry standard has been a 60hz (-/+) refresh rate for more than 10 years. That’s up to 60fps (-/+).

That being said, current industry specs (different from industry standard) put refresh rates anywhere from 30hz to 144hz and beyond, all available to the average consumer. At that point the question is asked “can the hardware support it”, and if it can, the dev then makes the decision to choose whether they want to support it or not.

That being said, everything that Overwatch supports is available to everyone, not just a select few special individuals. Just because people don’t have something in this case doesn’t mean they are precluded from obtaining that thing. Simply dropping the standard to the lowest common denominator isn’t just unfair, but it’s assuming that people aren’t playing at what’s been the industry standard for more than a decade.

I’ve proven that you don’t need to buy brand new $100+ peripherals to meet industry standards. I spent less than 8 bucks total on my three monitors. I’m looking at a really good used 1080p 60hz Dell monitor for $15 locally on Craigslist as I’m typing this.

As for coaching all I can tell you is that if you ever looked up any videos on how to get better, ever received any feedback from friends or teammates, or had someone watch you and talk to you about your gameplay, you’ve received coaching. It doesn’t need to be crazy 24/7 access or a “let’s set up a time, I’m a professional” situation. Watching someone else, or submitting videos to a YouTuber is perfectly acceptable.

I hope you never ever even get near a decisionmaking position for any product, ever.

1 Like

It is generally accepted by PC gamers that these differences exist and can negatively affect your gameplay if you have inferior hardware or a bad ISP. It simply isn’t practical to require everyone to have the absolute best hardware and ISP.

The big difference is that for many players, hardware and ISP disparities are not a simple matter of choice. Downloading and using a 3rd party program to gain an advantage is always a choice.

1 Like

Blizzard can’t control what hardware you buy and use (same reason why KB/M is frowned upon on console, but not banned).

Blizzard can however, control what software is allowed to directly impact their own software.

1 Like

You answered your own question. The rule applies to third party software. A monitor, fibre optic, and sound device are all hardware. Hardware is not software and therefore is not counted as third party software.

On console the difference is actually way worse.

On PC even average monitors have <30ms latency, good <20ms, while TVs usually are in the 50ms+ range, some even over 100ms, and only a few are below 20ms. On top of that TVs are available as OLEDs, which reduce blur quite a bit compared to LCD.

There is way more difference from a screen with 100ms delay to one with 20ms delay is way higher then the difference between a decent 60Hz screen and a good 144Hz screen.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I had no idea that hardware isn’t software. At last, the rule makes sense. And Blizzard’s rule must not be questioned! :slight_smile:

Glad I could help. Happy to see it was just a misunderstanding because here I was thinking you were purposely being obtuse and ignoring the various obvious reasons why those things are not ban worthy. :grinning:

Well after looking at their careful wording, your discussion point makes no sense unless you are keen on twisting their words. Look at what you highlighted.

We take competition very seriously in Overwatch. The foundation of good competition is every player being equally-equipped to compete against one another, but many third-party applications erode the level playing field in Overwatch we strive for.

Now note the words they specifically use:

We take competition very seriously in Overwatch. The foundation of good competition is every player being equally-equipped to compete against one another, but many third-party applications erode the level playing field in Overwatch we strive for.

They said they want players equally equipped, yes if they left it there then you may have an argument. But they specifically mentioned third-party applications. A basic definition from google reads as follows “a program or piece of software designed to fulfill a particular purpose”. This means that Blizzard are expressly referring to third-party applications, meaning that hardware is not even in the discussion, so it’s irrelevant to even bring it up. Finally, they use the word “strive” which is an admission that they aren’t perfect but they are making a great effort to achieve a level playing field. So even they didn’t explicitly focus on third-party software, they are admitting that they are just trying their hardest.

Also, something just additional, they are also referring to their Blizzard End User Licence Agreement and they cite the relevant part. Which also makes your argument even more irrelevant.

Am I missing something? I don’t know, maybe I’m having a bad day haha

Also, if you brought this up just to spark a discussion about other things, that’s fair enough. But I think that may also fall flat on its face because Blizzard can really only monitor and control their property, being the actual game. They can only strive to do the best on their end from a software point of view.

1 Like

True. But one can’t and doesn’t really want to discriminate against better hardware.
But it’s reasonable to ban 3rd party Software…

Why do the OW forum people always have the dumbest arguments that make zero sense but i have no clue on how to prove it wrong.

2 Likes

Are you a hanzo main in low Bronze playing with an integrated GPU working laptop?

Maybe that’s why you don’t think 144hz matters.

You sure are one rich boy, huh

165 hz, WQHD + gysnc.

Damn its so nice to play on this setting.

I’m far from rich. I just accept that I have an expensive hobby that goes hand in hand with the kind of technological progress in consumer goods that the ever changing standards require hobbyists like myself to upgrade our equipment on a regular basis.

It’s been that way since the beginning of PC gaming, and it has never been cheap.

1 Like