Event epic skins

This isn’t at all intended to be a petition of any kind.

I want to talk about how epic skins in events are locked behind weekly challenges. I highly dislike that they are locked behind the challenges and makes me sad when I don’t have the time during that week to get the skin I wanted.
Back in October 2019, I got my new pc the day after the week 1 for the Halloween event ended and I missed out on getting the junkrat skin and I don’t have another chance to get it ever again. This upsets me b/c junkrat is my favorite hero to play as and I wanted to collect every junkrat skin in game. I did not have a working pc that had the capability to run and play Overwatch during the weekly challenge with said junkrat skin so I had no chance of getting the skin. It still upsets me to this day.
So I was wondering what other people thought about this system for events and if there was maybe a way to get the skins again. Like maybe they’re locked behind the challenge the year they are reclassed for said event but the following year you can get them again for in game currency of an epic skin, that way players who missed out on that weekly challenge for say the Halloween or anniversary event can get the skin they missed that year the next year the event runs again.

3 Likes

As someone with all the event skins it’s kinda weird they don’t come back. However it’s not the end of the world, a new pc in return for an epic skin sounds like a steal :joy:.

1 Like

My brother had a brilliant idea for these “weekly skins”

Every 9 wins during Anniversary event would grant you an epic skin you don’t already own, with each week of Anniversary awarding skins from a different seasonal event similar to how the daily rotating event playlist functions.

It detracts from the “I was there” narrative of those weekly locked skins, but I happen to like his idea.

It’s also a great way to improve player engagement, since that’s a major factor influencing why the weekly unlock skins exist to begin with. Having the ability to unlock those skins would heighten player engagement during one of the most pivotal times of the gaming season (summer break)!

8 Likes

Have we even had a re-run of an event with the weekly skins yet? I would be surprised if they aren’t just added to the standard pool the next time around.

2 Likes

Brilliant, indeed. And I am not just saying that because I am missing tons of skins. Well, actually, yes I am.

2 Likes

To date, they have not even annually allowed them to be obtained.

I figured they would do the challenges with them the first time out, then put them into event loot boxes the following year, but nope.

Then you have the special challenges too, that just get added in here and there. None of those have returned yet either. The first one was the Nano Cola skin for D.Va…

All of those skins should make a return in my opinion. But that’s me. There are some that shouldn’t but these arguments have been going on for a long time now.

Here is a list if anyone wants to review it:

Here is a pretty comprehensive list of limited skins. I composed this list some time ago and keep updating it:

My take is pretty basic on these.

You have a few different groups:

Blizzcon skins

Bastion - 2016 Blizzcon skin
Genji - 2019 Blizzcon - Illidan skin
Reinhardt - 2021 Blizzcon - Raynhardt skin
Sombra - 2018 Blizzcon - Demon Hunter from Diablo
Symmetra - 2019 Blizzcon - Tyrande skin
Winston 2017 Blizzcon skin

Challenge skins

Ana - Bastet challenge (skin and victory pose) and Winter Wonderland 2020
Ashe - Mardi Gras challenge
Baptiste - Halloween Terror 2019 challenge, Baptiste Reunion challenge, Lunar Year of the Ox 2021 Challenge
Bastion - Summer Games 2020 challenge and Bastion’s Brick challenge
Brigitte - Halloween Terror 2020 challenge
D.Va - Nano Cola challenge (I think this was the very first one) and HotS Officer D.Va skin challenge
Doomfist - Year of the Rat 2020 challenge
Echo - Halloween Terror 2020 challenge
Genji - HotS challenge (both this one and the D.Va Officer skin were moved to normal loot boxes later on)
Junkrat - Halloween Terror 2019 challenge and Winter Wonderland 2020
McCree - Anniversary 2020 challenge and Lunar Year of the Ox 2021 Challenge
Mei - Summer Games 2019 challenge and Archives 2020 challenge
Mercy - Winter Wonderland 2019 challenge and Recall challenge
Moira - Winter Wonderland 2019 challenge
Orisa - Summer Games 2020 challenge
Reaper - Summer Games 2019 challenge and Lunar Year of the Ox 2021 Challenge
Reinhardt - Summer Games 2019 challenge
Roadhog - Winter Wonderland 2020 Challenge
Sigma - Anniversary 2020 challenge and Sigma’s Maestro challenge (Maestro has both skin and emote)
Soldier 76 - Winter Wonderland 2019 challenge
Sombra - Halloween Terror 2019 challenge (same Demon Hunter skin from Blizzcon 2018) and Halloween Terror 2020 challenge
Symmetra - Archives 2020 challenge and Restoration Challenge 2020
Torbjorn - Archives 2020 challenge
Tracer - Summer Games 2020 challenge and Tracer’s Comic challenge 2020
Widowmaker - Anniversary 2020 challenge
Winston - Year of the Rat 2020 challenge
Wrecking Ball - Year of the Rat 2020 challenge

OWL related skins

Brigitte - Goat Skin
D.Va - 2020 Pacific All Star
2019 - Shock skins for multiple heroes
Genji - 2018 Pacific All Star
Lucio - 2019 Pacific All Star & Dance Party emote
Mercy - 2019 Atlantic All star
Reinhardt - 2020 Atlantic All Star
Roadhog - 2020 Champion Skin
Tracer - 2018 Atlantic All Star
Winston - Flying Ace
Zarya - Alien
Zenyatta - Zen-Nakji
Various Contender Skins
All the various team skins for every hero in the game, and even different year versions. You can no longer get the 2018 skins. (checked 2-26-21)

Specials

Mercy - Pink Charity skin
Widowmaker - Pre-order only skin Noire
Widowmaker - Starcraft 20th Anniversary Celebration skin

To date, only three special skins has appeared in more than one way to obtain. One being the D.Va Officer skin (which sparked a lot of controversy) along with Genji’s from the same event and the Sombra skin Demon Hunter which is the only Blizzcon item to have had this happen in Overwatch.

I feel that any challenge event skins should be something that can be attempted again or obtained as drops in the following year event they were a part of. Why not?

However the following challenges are harder to suggest a fair way to obtain them:

Ana’s Bastet
Ashe’s Mardi Gras
Baptiste’s Reunion
Bastion’s Brick
D.Va’s Nano Cola
Mercy’s Recall
Sigma’s Maestro
Tracer’s Comic
Symmetra’s Restoration

These are special challenges. As of now I don’t see an easy way to re-implement them, if they even have a plan to do so short of just adding them to the loot box pool eventually. However the rest could be integrated into following years of the event they were a part of.

Specialty items are a bit different, as are Blizzcon event items. While those skins actually carrying a Blizzcon logo and date probably should be kept as they are, they did release the Demon Hunter from Blizzcon to the following year Halloween, so if they can do it once, why not the WoW related skins?

Pink Mercy is always a hot button. I say they should do a charity every year, introduce a new pink skin for a hero each year and have the option to unlock or bundle previous skins from the previous charity event. Win win for everyone.

2 Likes

:disappointed_relieved: feelsbadman

1 Like

die 4 content die die 4 content

I honestly feel the same, having skins locked and never return is pretty bs if you ask me. It puts alot of stress on players as well.

That’s why i always do the challange the first week because i want to make sure that i get everything before it’s too late.

But i wish blizzard could make the decision to bring the challange back just to make sure that players who missed out could get a 2nd chance, or maybe make it so that players could buy the skins instead.

Like i understand that challanges are fun and all, but what’s the point if you know that the skins are gonna be locked away forever and never return? It’s so dumb.

1 Like

Yeah, summer games was the first. The limited-time epics did not come back, and the same happened for Halloween Terror, Winter Wonderland, and Lunar New Year.

I’ve always had issues with this. I know the last post on this was a year ago but thought of this again during remix and was curious.

I’ll say this they aren’t slick. By making the epic skins weekly that means the most likely thing you will get in boxes is voice lines sprays etc and of course, dupes. Considering legendary skins are rare to drop anyway. Some do care about those things but let us be real it’s more or less trash drops and people want the skins. So people are likely to purchase loot boxes in order to either unlock the legendaries or get currency.

There are zero reasons to not put the epic skins into the boxes the during the next year’s event. It’s not like the skins are paid ones so they can put them in the boxes right? Basically, the way it’s functioning now they are essentially making these epic skins rarer then the actual legedaries.

I find it gratifying to know that at least they have been re-introducing the challenge skins. Yes, they are still done as a challenge, rather than added to loot boxes, BUT they made the effort to put them back out so that others could obtain them!

That is a win in itself. Those complaining about doing a challenge to get them, well, the rest of us that got them the previous times also had to do a challenge, so ultimately why complain? They came back didn’t they?

Game on.

1 Like

I honestly prefer the Weekly Challenges over Loot Boxes since you’re guaranteed to get the Skins if you put in a set amount of effort/playtime, whereas Loot Boxes are completely random and you can easily grind the whole event away without getting anything for your effort.

no time in the week? what is it like 28 games of qp @7mins average game
3.30hrs ish of playing, not counting wins so could be 1.30 hrs - 3.30 hrs
to get a free skin. not bad i think.

Except if you don’t get it that year you can get it at the next event or anniversary. Miss is in this case and oh well never going to get it now.

Dang, it’s been a year already :flushed:

Not everyone is going to even catch the event at all though. It’s also not the amount of time that’s the point. The point is there is no reason at all for it to not be added to boxes the next year after the weekly. Epic skins shouldn’t be rarer than legendaries.

1 Like