Entire "Balance" patch was focused on GOATs and OWL

Except it was a sledgehammer to GOATS. I don’t recall seeing back-to-back balance patches like this in the past. If someone has even a mild understanding of how GOATS comp works, you can look at the Heros “balanced” in this patch and understand this was done strictly because OWL S2 is right around the corner.

I find it hilariously ironic that the Devs constantly tout that METAs are “good” for the game and that if you don’t enjoy METAs, then you should play Mystery Heros.

Except when that META could impact OWL viewership, then suddenly this META is “bad” and they scramble to rip it down as fast as possible.

And they weren’t even slick about it. It’s a joke.

1 Like

Oh please, the forums were practically begging for these changes. To claim that it’s all about the pros and OWL is delusional.

2 Likes

Except that it is. Blizzard knows that the OWL viewers don’t want to see GOATS vs GOATS, every single match, every single round. This patch was aimed at making sure that doesn’t happen.

I think believing that it’s anything other than that, is delusional.

According to Activi$ion, META is fine…but only when it doesn’t impact OWL viewership. If it does…then it’s not fine.

I’m not denying that there us an OWL influence in this decision, but it’s not the only influence. The playerbase were screaming here for months for these changes.

1 Like

Dive vs dive on all matchs was really bored to.

Owl needs hero ban system.

Exactly. The Dev team has learned from the experience and is cutting GOATS off at the knees before it even has a chance to get going in OWL.

that’s the thing that bothers me.
How these forums have turned owl into this scapegoat where every single problem is caused by it.
Even tho i’m sure that without goats we would still have one patch every few months with very little changes.

I mean, what does this forum want?
Reaper buffs? Check
End goats? Check
More patches? Check
Patches that change more than numbers? Check

Yet these forums are still crying.

No wonder jeff at one point asks “What do you even want, people?”

still doubt he’ll get picked up that much in owl, he still has huge glaring weaknesses.

This might be the case, we’ll have to see. However, get ready for the Mercy + Reaper META in the potato ranks.

lol, he’s allways been good in potato ranks, he’s just not popular because he’s bad at higher ranks, literally nothing changed for reaper except he’s going to be even easier in potato rank.

i mean if you can’t make reaper work now in potato rank you couldn’t probably even play brigitte.

Riot has forcibly changed the meta for years because they knew all players in rank would use the meta

your getting pissed because they are forcing out a meta?

No, he hasn’t always been good at potato ranks. He’s easy to manage if you see him coming. Even for us Gold players.

However, with the new buff, if you hit every pellet on a body shot, (which is easy against tanks, even for potato aim), then he now heals at 70HP per-shot. Reaper fires 2 shots per-second. This means that landing every pellet on a body shot heals him at 140 healing per-second. There is no healer in the game that can do that. Now pair him with a pocket Mercy, that potato aim players already have a difficult time hitting as it is.

In addition, if Reaper hit all of his pellets on head shots, (which Pros can 100% pull off), he’s now healing himself at 280 healing per-second.

Yeah, pretty sure the pro-players are gonna be taking advantage of that.

But alas, the Reapers buffs themselves is not the point of this post.

1 Like

2019 year of the EEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE

No I’m getting pissed because they forced out a META over how many people will watch OWL.

They are doing double-speak. They’ve stated that META’s are 100% fine and “good” for the game. Well, except for this META…because we can’t have people not watching OWL.

They are contradicting themselves.

Indeed it is.

2 Likes

in fairness on blizzards part, nobody liked dive after it’s what 5th or 6th month of domination, and not just watching but playing, im ok with the reasoning just not the motive

better reason to run brig and just stun and kill him then. because if he’s not in range or can’t shoot he can’t heal himself, there’s a big reason why lifesteal sucks against cc. and if you are a mercy trying to pocket a reaper you are standing in the middle of the enemy team which is going to get that mercy killed really fast.

i mean he’s not that hard to hit with a cc because of his big hitbox.

and yes this entire patch was an attempt at bringing down goats and make d.va more manageable and have more of a clear weakness and make brigitte not as snowbally as she used to be.

but with that said, some tanks also benefits from this armor nerf because they also get a damage increase against armor.
most notable is roadhog and zarya, but also orisa which is a win/loss situation where she is more affected by the nerf but she has the biggest damage increase against armor and considering how she wants to be behind her shield anyways her weakness can be played around so we’ll see.

there’s a lot of things that’s been thrown up into the air and now we’ll just have to wait to see where they land.

They cut the goats only to get another stale meta.

Hero bann system is the only way.

1 Like

There’s probably too much to go over in one reply, about how OWL has seriously screwed over the OW playerbase, but I’ll just say that I’m happily not tuning into any of Season 2.

Surprisingly enough, I like when games I play are fun. I’ll put my time into a dev/esports scene that actually understands and cares about that.

You can find these suggestions individually around the forums, I doubt that any one person was suggesting all of these (or changes of similar magnitude) at the same time.

If you are a low ranked player, balance is not holding you back. Balance is not your focus and whether a character takes 45 damage or 50 will not be the threshold that makes what you want to play viable.

1 Like