Entire "Balance" patch was focused on GOATs and OWL

I, for one, agree with all the changes. I don’t think I’m the only one either.

Reaper’s buffs make him godlike. I gave you the math earlier and instead of replying to me, you ignored it.
Dva’s nerfs even at high bronze/low silver turn her into a battery. She’s on a long enough cooldown now that you can’t use her ability for anything now because you run the risk of not having it for a Pharah or a Reaper and by the time you get it back, you have already lost everyone. You can’t try to predict a McCree ult anymore because if you get it wrong, he kills everyone. You can’t try to predict a Grav Surge or a Snowball either. Hanzo ult, Tracer ult, etc are now much more dangerous. She can be baited simply by throwing a Moira orb now.
To answer your question about sledgehammer nerfing Zen, nerfing his ult 2 seconds wouldn’t be a complete death sentence, but it would be pretty bad. Nerfing anything else would basically kill him. He brings utility to the game. Discord orb is his utility. It’s a very strong ability, but it’s not game breaking. Nerfing it to 20 damage amp would be a terrible change because it would weaken his utility. Nerfing Harmony Orb would be terrible because it’s already so weak, it’s nearly useless for anyone other than flankers or potentially your main healer. Nerfing his health would make him an even easier pick, which considering he has zero movement abilities or defensive tricks like Fade or Sleep Dart would basically bury him. Nerfing his damage makes him useless. His high damage is the trade off for the super low healing. Nerfing his speed would effectively render him useless because he’s too slow to regroup after death. Nerfing his spread would make him useless because even with the high damage, he still needs to land 2 headshots to kill a 200 hp flanker with Discord. Nerfing his right click makes zero sense as it’s already risky to use since it has a long charge and launch time and restricts you from using Discord while charging.

Literally everyone on these forums has been saying they need to buff reaper, they need to nerf brig and most people outside of the pro scene agreed that d.va is way too perfect as she fits in every comp and has not not been meta since season 3. They delivered. OWL made it so we actually get these fixes sooner than later. You people are so weird. You whine, and then when you get what you want. you whine about it more.

2 Likes

Like Brigitte already didn’t do that?

Who does he think was complaining about goats?
If it’s the people he says never experience it, he’s proving how little integrity or brainpower he has.

You didn’t even read the post did you? Because if you did, you’d understand that it’s not about which Heros were buffed/nerfed or how. It’s the why.

The Devs are making “balancing” decisions around OWL viewership. Let that sink in. No other reason then how to maximize OWL viewers and profit from it.

i did. And i said that the reason ‘why’ doesnt matter if its what the majority of community is demanding for as well. OWL only makes it so the changes occur sooner than later which is a good thing so thank god for the OWL otherwise we’d have the launch brigitte for 2 more years.

Jeff is stuck trying to rationalize changes made for OWL to the playerbase. The playerbase is no longer the primary customer. Licensing and ad revenue is the main money maker going forward so everyone should expect Activision to cater to that.

If it wasn’t for the fact that the playerbase is the main consumer for the organizations licensing OWL and the target for advertising they would not even be attempting to rationalize these changes to the playerbase.

They are now caught in this catch 22 and it will be entertaining to watch them try to cater to these 3rd parties while simultaneously not destroying the consumer bases of those 3rd parties. My money is on Activision failing spectacularly.

1 Like

Beyblades, Dive, Deathball, Double Sniper, and GOATS were always the same 6-8 heroes.

This game will always have a dreamteam top tier hero selection. It’s just going to be a flavor of the month, until we start seeing new heroes with some of the same abilities as the existing roster.

For the record I don’t find them too horrible either, but I’m also still waiting and seeing.

1 Like

Newsflash: Blizzard doesn’t know how to balance.

2 Likes

This is why OWL needs to be balanced separately. Pro Play =/= Average play. You’re not going to see GOATS being run in Bronze - Gold. I’ve never reached Plat so I can’t say with any certainty whether or not you’d see it there, but I assume it would be rare to see it being used in anything below Diamond.

Sledgehammer nerfs will force the pros to use different metas, but it’s going to really hurt the players who don’t care about OWL or competitive play and just want to have fun.

What’s really funny though is that these changes are just going to reduce Brigitte to only really being useful in certain situations. After the previous nerfs she received and now the nerf to armour and rally, you may aswell not pick her. Blizzard will probably nerf her again in the next patch.

1 Like

in low ranks you can play whatever the hell you want and still get away with it. High ranks is where meta starts to matter. It’s so much balanced around OWL as it is balanced around High elo play.

Sure.

I left console because on high diamond- master almost all the matchs was reaper + briggite + pharahmercy combo.

And on lower ranks the problem with briggite + reaper was worse.

Pharmercy gets wrecked by Ashe now. I suck at sniping but I can wreck Pharah with Ashe. Any time I see Pharah I go Ashe, it’s a fun mini game. I am disappointed in myself if I can’t get the Pharah to switch off.

Dive got pretty stale, but for the love of god goats is horrendous to watch at any level, dive is at least entertaining.

I don’t play against true goats but I think more people are realizing the strength of main tanks/barriers. Trying to poke through Rein + Orisa with a Bastion/Mercy sitting behind is not fun either.

It would ruin the point of OWL, but I think it would be a whole lot more healthy for pros and casuals alike at the same time… I would be kind of neutral on that one.

Overwatch is intended to be a highly competitive game. It only makes perfect sense to balance around top tiers, even if it’s at the expense of casual players.

Let’s take other existing examples, such as Dota 2, for instance. Valve made conscious decisions to balance this game around pro play. And has it worked? Yes!

At lower ranks, Overwatch may as well be a different game. There are many core aspects of gameplay which are not fulfilled properly, or at all (this includes ult-tracking, ult-economy, awareness of engagements/disengagents, mechanical skill, shotcalling, etc). The lack of these core aspects is why these lower ranks are generally ignored. It’s not the same game any more.

Nothing about this patch either delighted or appealed to me.