Elo hell is not real.......but

I think the normal concept of ELO hell is wrong, but the end result is still the same.
The outcome of a match is a dice roll - you either get a team that works or you don’t.

If your team is the one that has ok players and the enemy team is the one that has few that don’t group up, don’t switch up when countered, don’t communicate, repeatedly dies to 1vs6, etc, you will win.
If it’s the other way around, you lose.

That’s it.

The counter argument for the normal ELO hell talks; team mates are bad, can’t get heals, no dps, etc is “If others are garbage, then surely the enemy team is also garbage” is false, because we are talking about 6vs6, not half the player base vs the other half.

On average, yes, both sides will equally likely be good or bad. But you’re talking about hand full of people at a time.
For example if one of your teams healers don’t heal enough, it’s quite hard to do anything about that on a different role. Even if you are the other healers, you can’t just magically heal 1.5 times more.
Sure, you could try to switch to character that can heal himself, but now you’re not counter picking the enemy team, but your own.

The only way you can have an even game at that point is that if the other team has equal amount of players that don’t perform.

It’s a team based game and the better team wins.

Even if you truly are “better than average”, you’re still only 1/6 of the team, so your extra input doesn’t matter as much as you’d like to think.

All that said, I should point out that your SR doesn’t matter.
I’ve played from silver to diamond and it never changes.
If you want to play with solid team with communication and reasonable game sense, you have to play with people you know.
Random player are, well, random.

no you don’t

once you have plat skills you’ll get to plat but you have to realize your mistakes first

i know because I’ve done it twice
i started at 600 sr, then climbed my way to 2800 in 10 seasons (two of which i couldn’t really play because of issues) and then more recently i dropped 800 sr to 2040 or something like that and had to pull myself out

I’ve never gone past diamond (mostly sit around gold or plat) so you definitely don’t need GM skills to get past gold.

What you want to understand is what’s the weakness of the opponents and exploit that. Overly aggressive tanks? Too passive tanks? Too passive supports? Single DPS pushing too far in?

Being able to locate these alone won’t be enough to get you anywhere near GM but it’ll definitely help in getting past gold assuming your mechanical skill is on par.

When you climbed from gold to plat? In what ?

Before moira/brig/doom?

What heroes did you play.

Did you run into throwers on your team and smurfs on the other?

How did you deal with constant teams feeding and dying over and over not with the group, not playing together as a team, while the enemy team does work together?

The problem is that you have a variable amount of time spent playing the game. Because of this, you have to divide that one variable into many for the different heroes in the game. If you’re gold rank and your variable is say, 500 hours played, then maybe you have 100 in one hero, 50 in another, etc. Let’s keep it simple and say it’s 100 in 2 heroes, 50 in 2 heroes, and 25 in 8 heroes. So you can viably play 12 heroes, but 8 of those you play so-so.

If you get placed on a team where your best heroes are heroes that have hard counters by someone on the other team, then you’re screwed. It’s RNG. There’s nothing you can do about it.

Now you could argue that this is going to happen on the other side as well. Yes it does, but what happens is you average out to about a 50/50 win rate, because of random dumb luck. Basically, if you got placed into the right random teams, you would be more successful.

The game needs to reward individuals, not teams.

I watch samito, a top 500 player, when he plays in gold.

He does not stand on the payload hardscoping everyone and laughing, he actually has to coordinate with the team, yes he’s very talented with his shot, decision making etc, but still communicates with his team. However he is skilled enough to get the critical kills that win each team fight or prevent the enemy from advancing.

That’s what it takes to climb out of gold, and that’s why you need GM skill level at this point in the game.

The problem with Overwatch is that it’s a team game where you’re not a team. A team is where you play with the same people all the time. You are a “team”. There’s no such thing as a temporary team. That’s a group. It’s random if you’ll find compatibility. You haven’t had an opportunity to play with them before. You don’t know how to compensate for their strengths and weaknesses. You don’t even know WHO THEY ARE.

That isn’t a team, period. So again to reiterate, what we have is a team game without teams. Only a small demographic of the playerbase has their own teams, and of those, MOST of them don’t play often enough because they have lives outside of gaming, so really only a tiny demographic, maybe 1% I’d bet, have a full team that they actually train and play with on a regular basis.

Again this is just one more game where the game’s mechanics only work for the top 1%.

2 Likes

If you honestly want to climb out of gold, you have to stop making excuses as to why you’re in gold and focus on ways you can improve. A gold player will never climb out of gold if he never improves. And a player will never improve if all he does is make excuses.

Imagine trying to teach a kid how to shoot a basketball. Then every time the kid says:
“The basket is too high”
“The basketball is too heavy”
“You need to be 7 feet tall to shoot”
etc etc…

That’s what you’re doing. How are you going to learn how to shoot a basketball if that’s all you do?

1 Like

@jacqui, I disagree with you, and here’s why.

The way that I perceive this, this is like the child trying to get better at basketball, so you teach him how to shoot, how to dribble, how to pass, how to make them aware of their team, etc. But every single game the kid plays in, he’s set up with a completely different team.

Sometimes there’s a synergy there. The way some of the team plays complements the way he plays. More of the plays make sense. OR subsequently, maybe the opposite happens and the opposite team just isn’t synergizing, so his team wins.

Your analogy is a solo analogy. If I were to use it, that’s like saying I need to improve my accuracy, so I go out there and practice and practice and practice, and I get better and better at accuracy, but no matter how much I improve, I win and lose the same number of games.

There are times when I will get placed into a team where we will win a game so well that the entire team stays together. This just happened to me twice in the past week. The first time I believe we were undefeated, 4/0 until some of the guys on the team had to leave. The next time I think it was 3/0 until the same thing happened.

So one thing you can absolutely take from that is that my personal skill has barely moved. In both teams, I had mere hours of additional practice. In fact, in many of the games, I shined, getting play of the game, having a lot of gold medals, and all-around being praised by my teams.

This is anecdotal evidence that the system is flawed. When you RANDOMLY get placed into a team like that, your own abilities shine fourth and you watch yourself do amazingly well, then the very next game after that team breaks down, if you happen to get into a team where the synergy just isn’t there, you’ll go from 45 eliminations (gold), most damage, top healing, etc., to feeling like you’re hardly contributing.

Imagine you try to teach that kid how to shoot. He or she practices and practices, and gets better and better and better. You put him in a team where everyone just meshes well, and watch him win game after game. Then put him in a team where nobody seems to mesh well, and watch him feel like he’s never played Basketball before.

Does that mean he suddenly got worse? Of course not, and the BIG DIFFERENCE HERE is that this is, for the vast majority of players, ALL RANDOMIZED.

You have to compensate for the randomization! And Blizzard is simply failing at that. It’s that simple.

There are different games being played in Overwatch. You have players who play a little bit, players who play more, players who play all day, and streamers/pro gamers.

The game isn’t the same depending on how you’re playing it, and that’s a HUGE problem.

To compare/contrast: A pro gamer has a constant team. They know their team. They know how they react; their strengths and weaknesses–and likely everyone on their team has a lot of experience/skill on a lot of the heroes.

Now what about the majority player (the more casual player)? They don’t have a constant team. Every one of their teams is random. They don’t know their team. They don’t know who can play what. They can play Mcree to counter that enemy Phara, but they don’t dare switch off Moira out of concern nobody will compensate for the lost healer.

I can’t even tell you how many times I have brought something like this up only to have the entire team ignore it like I don’t know what I’m talking about. How do you deal with that? Do you just chalk it up to, “well if I was better at persuasion, people would just do what I say?”

Of course not. You’re STUCK with these 5 other people, and there’s not a damned thing you can do about it. If they refuse to switch, you lose, and every one of them will just blame everyone other than themselves because nobody has any idea what they’re doing or what they’re talking about. The vast majority of players aren’t watching pro matches, watching Youtube tutorials on how to play, going and practicing for hours on end and trying to figure out the counters/meta. Don’t be delusional.

So you’ve got multiple tiers of the game within itself. If you’re playing a lot, you’re not playing the same Overwatch that I am, and the version that I’m playing does not work the way you think it does. You don’t just solo get better and then increase in rank. This is why you hear all the time about players who are in diamond or above who have a second account stuck in silver or gold. My brother is in diamond, and my cousin is in master, and I’ve played games with them where I’ve dominated, yet I’ve never been past gold. And on the flip side, I’ve also lost games with those two, even though they’re both amazingly good at FPS.

So no, I call complete BS on all of this, “just improve yourself” nonsense. WELL DUH, you have to get better to get better. That’s so self-evident that it should never be said. It’s shameful to repeat, it’s that self-evident. But it’s also incredibly unhelpful advice because like the kid trying to get better shooting hoops: no matter how good he gets, unless he can carry all of his teams, so long as his teams are random, he will lose games even though he keeps getting better individually.

Then you’ll average out with about a 50/50 success rate. This should be self-evident at this point what’s going on.

1 Like

Let’s suppose you teach this kid all the things you have just mentioned, and the kid is receptive to learning all of it and has actually learned it. It doesn’t matter that he is put on random teams anymore. Why? Because he has learned all the skills to play basketball. Whatever team he is on he has instantly made that team better and his team now has a higher chance of winning.

Suppose the NBA functioned like OW ladder. Every game you have random teammates picked from the pool of NBA players. Winning % is tracked on an individual basis. Who will win more often? Kawhi Leonard or Solomon Hill? The answer of course is Kawhi Leonard. Why? Because he is a better player and has more impact on the game. The same is true in OW.

This is just not true. The better you get / more you improve, the more impact you have. At 2000 SR, a GM would climb faster than a master. A master faster than a diamond. A diamond faster than a plat. But all of them would climb because all of them have skills above gold.

1 Like

So I am GM? Thats nice to hear lol

The reality is that you climb if you are better. You dont need to be GM or even diamond skill to climb out of gold. Plat skill is enough.

I understand your logic there, jacqui, but I don’t believe it’s correct.
This is what you think will happen (this is an analogy):

Each team has 4 players.
You can objectively measure the skill of each player by a rank of 1-4.
If you are a rank 4 player and the rest of the players on your team are 3, but all of the players on the other team are 3, then you should win more often than lose.

You can do a simple sum and see that 4 players times 3 equates to 12. The opposing team has a total skill score of 12, while if your 4 players all have a score of 3 but you, with a 4, then your team score sum is 13. Your score is greater than their score, so your team should beat these teams more often.

If that’s your equation, there’s nothing wrong with the equation, but that’s not how this works. You’re over simplifying what’s happening.

This is more along the lines of what’s happening:

There are 4 players, but there are 8 heroes to choose from.
Hero 1 counters 2, 2 counters 3, 3 counters 4, 4 counters 5, 5 counters 6, 6 counters 7, and 7 counters 1.

Hero 1 thus is countered by 7, 2 is countered by 1, 3 is countered by 2, etc.

So this happens:

Let’s create a simple metric for time played. Time played will intrinsically equate on some degree, to overall skill. This is self-evident, and we’ll use this metric for simplicity purposes.

So let’s say then that you have 3 groups of players. Players who have played 10 hours, 100 hours, and 1,000 hours. I’m going to say this is Bronze, Silver, and Gold.

There are 8 heroes, so you have to distribute your time across them. If you’re Bronze, you have 10 hours to distribute. Say you did it like this:

Hero 1 = 4 hours
Hero 3 = 3 hours
Hero 5 = 2 hours
Hero 7 = 1 hour

Now remember that hero 1 is countered by hero 7. So imagine on the opposite team, they have a player by sheer chance, that looks like this:

Hero 7 = 6 hours
Hero 3 = 3 hours
Hero 1 = 1 hour

Now your best hero, hero 1, is going to be ruthlessly countered by this player. And dumb luck might rule that if this player counters you with hero 7, who’s counter is hero 6, but the only player with more than 2 hours of skill on hero 6 can’t play hero 6 because they are the only healer and nobody else can will switch, refuses to switch to hero 6, or does switch but it happens that the opposing team has the counter to hero 6, then you’ve the chances of your success change tremendously. It’s sheer coincidence. You do not have more resources than this. You have 10 hours of play time to invest, and this is how you invested it. You can’t change it. The variable is now set.

As the match making system continues to randomize all of this, over a long period of time you gravitate towards about a 50% ratio eventually, which would make sense if things were balanced, but it does not make sense, because the more you play, the better you get, so if you were an elo of say, 100 out of 1,000 and improved from a skill level 3 player to a 4 player and thus your win rate increased to 60%, then you should increase from 100 to maybe 150 until you level back out, but I don’t believe this happens often.

I would like to see the evidence that it does. I want to see players who are queuing solo per capita compared to number of games played and see if they are incrementally jumping up as they play more. There should be a direct correlation between play time and elo increase over time on the average. There has to be, virtually every human being who invests time into something gets better at it. Different people hit diminishing returns at different levels, but it would all average back out to seeing that on average, players are increasing in elo as their play time increases along a single continuum, and I currently don’t believe this is happening.

And say you’re in diamond but have an alternate account that’s in gold. Say on both accounts you have a 50% success rate. This should not be able to exist. Again, if your overall team score is 13 opposed to the enemy team’s 12, then your win rate should be above 50%. It might not be 60% or higher, but it should be above 50%. If it isn’t above 50%, then that can’t be because you’re in diamond. The highest signifier of success then must in fact be random team allocation. It HAS to be. There is no alternative because if you made it to diamond and stay there, then you should be objectively a better player than the players in gold or below. You MUST be a 4 skill player when everyone else must be at least a 3. There’s no other way to look at that. So if your win rate isn’t >50%, then the metric for win percentage must look something like this:

For every skill point past the median (3 in the above example), your win rate % increases by 0.5% (neglegable). Success dependencies increase win rate by ~10% based on team allocation.

If this were even somewhat true, what that means is that the randomness of your team is a larger factor of your success until you hit a specific threshold. Maybe a master player has a skill of 5, and if you are 2 skill points above then that increases your success rate from 0.5% to 5.5%, so you would see an increase that would slowly decrease until that skill level 5 player were on teams of players with a 4 rank, then it would drop back down to ~0.5%, and you would get stuck in a given rank. This would actually explain how someone in diamond or above could get stuck in a lower rank on another account.

And my entire argument is and has always been that the match making is the number one problem. Players need to be able to incrementally succeed. Even if your team loses, you should be able to succeed. I’ll go back to the basketball theme: If LeBron switched teams to a poor team and they started getting creamed, nobody would think LeBron suddenly sucked. They would watch him play like an Olympian, and chastise the fact that even the star player on the team can’t necessarily carry the team.

Remember, there are ALWAYS diminishing returns on these things.

One final note that I didn’t make clear: IF the system were super balanced, then virtually nobody could climb. Everyone should have about a 50/50 win/lose rate, but then you should see extremely close matches almost every single game, and that does not happen.

That’s really the caveat. You shouldn’t be able to get 45 eliminations, 4 golds, a card, and potg in one match, then the very next match when playing a char you have a lot of skill in that’s a counter to an opposing hero, get 3 elims and not make bronze, no card, no potg, etc. That shouldn’t be possible if things are equal. If things are equal than no one player should be able to objectively BE LeBron one match, then not LeBron another. All that means is that in one match you’re LeBron against a bunch of averages, then the next you’re LeBron against Jordan in his prime, by random dumb luck.

Samito isn’t a GM Widow main. He’s a Genji main/flex player. In his own rank, he always plays whatever yields the highest chance of winning in his opinion. On this season, his main account has 5 ranked games of Widow in total. It’s very questionable if he’d hold GM by playing Widow, say, in 90% of his games.

h**ps://ibb.co/jRPyh5W

This is the game I just played for example. What else could I have done? Notice the entire enemy team was on fire?

I was Moira. I couldn’t switch because we couldn’t lose our healer. I was healing, focus firing their healer, and asking my team for people to switch to counter their reaper, and nobody did. What do you do when people refuse and you do really well, from all objective metrics?

That was rhetorical. I know what you can do, you can play another random match up, and statistically speaking, eventually get set up with more competent teams, so you get a 50/50 win rate.

I climbed at the beginning wih only moira, and after that with Dva.

Yes I did, but the other way round, too. You remember bad experiences way more than when the opponents have the thrower (you maybe not even noticing it).

Same as above, this is not a objective observation

Just get better :slight_smile:

It’s not hilarious.

It’s the lack of organization and the complete and udder chaos that commands the skill level.

Furthermore the only people I have seen be able to climb out of gold are GM’s on youtube and streams etc. To add to that I regularly play in the custom tryhard lobbies where all ranks up to GM practice, and I hold my own. Admittedly they are really good, but they don’t just rape me over and over effortlessly as your post would assume.

Once again I’m not saying there’s some kind of system built to keep people down, and i’m not saying i’m even good enough to climb.

I’m saying you need that level of skill much higher than plat or diamond to climb out of gold this point.

This thread is killing braincells by the post

1 Like

Whatever man, keep telling this to yourself. Just ignore what every higher ranked player here has said who have all climbed out of gold, some of us even multiple times. Are we all hidden GMs then?

1 Like

@Agu, that’s irrelevant unless you can show metrics to back up the numbers.

If 2% of the playerbase is climbing, that doesn’t back up your idea. There are always exceptions/outliers, but the exceptions aren’t what’s making up the rule.

Everyone has a different situation. How often are you playing? What heroes are you using most? The actual data is going to prove that some some heroes actually win more games than others, and that’s going to vary depending on elo, depending on map, and depending on a lot of other criteria, but the metric will still show you what’s actually happening.

The system shouldn’t only work for some people, it should work for all players. If it doesn’t, then the system is broken.