Either the devs enjoy watching us get mowed down by 9 year olds with a Gatling gun, OR

As we all know, many of us already hate Bastion and are not too pleased about the buff. The devs certainly know this as well as inferred by Jeff’s cheeky comment, “I know many of you are dying to see more Bastion in your matches.”

So, it got me thinking and I came to two conclusions. Either:
A) Jeff and the devs sadistically enjoy watching us get mowed down by a 9 year-old with a Gatling gun, or,
B) There are counters to him we’re not using, so the devs are making him stronger to motivate us to use our abilities better and work more as a team to take him down.

Which, before I go on, I don’t think it should take a team to shut down a single, low skill character. That is ridiculous. But, the devs have also said that this is a hardcore game that requires mechanical skill and cooperation. Perhaps this is meant to be a sort of refining fire for those of us who are still struggling to take down Bastion oriented comps.

Just last night with my team, we got shut down by a Bastion three times in a row. And each time we recognized that we’re not working together enough to deal with the situation. We kept charging in, or half a** executing our attacks on him, and so we got exploited and shut down.

So, I hope that in spite of these changes to make Bastion (said in Dr. Evil) “More viable,” this motivates players to really crack down and shut down Bastion and low skill Bastion players.

Eventually, I do think he needs some serious changes. If you look at him on paper, Bastion:

• requires low skill to play and succeed with
  • does lots of damage
  • has high survivability
  • performs at his max while being protected by his team

If you look at a character like Wrecking Ball, he:

• requires higher skill to play and succeed with
  • does moderate damage
  • has high survivability
  • can’t perform to his max if being protected by his team

So, a balanced Bastion would need to affect one of those areas. Require more skill to play him, and he’s not pulled out as often by low skill players who are losing. Or, reduce his damage output and he becomes less of a threat. Or, reduce his survivability and now he’s a glass canon, high risk/high reward character. Any one of these would dramatically balance him out and make him less infuriating to go against.

Some have recommended putting his turret form on a cool down and buffing his recon form. I think that that’s a great idea.

Those are my thoughts at least. Curious to hear what the rest of y’all think. Do you think your team will be able to rise to the challenge of disabling this newly buffed Bastion? What nerf(s) would you give Bastion? Would you yourself play him more if he was nerfed/more balanced/required greater skill to play?

3 Likes

The thing about Bastion is that he is still terrible. None of the buffs actually go after the reason he is not viable. There are multiple heroes you can go against Bastion that effectively make the game into a 5v6.

16 Likes

Who? Other than the obvious sombra pick.

There’s also Junkrat, and Reaper I think.

• Junkrat can shut him down without line of sight.
  • A well placed Widowmaker or Ashe can kill him or force him to reposition.
  • Hog can hook him out of sentry.
  • DVa’s DM can eat his damage output for a couple of seconds while someone flanks to take him out.
  • Pharrah’s good at firing in and out of cover can at least force him to move.

That’s all I can think of for now. There could be others, and I may be wrong on how viable these heroes are, but I have seen these work.

5 Likes

When I play Sigma, I see Bastion as a big health pack.

13 Likes

Yes! I love going up to him with my kinetic grasp and then glide away with 300+ shields.

3 Likes

For DPS, anyone with range can force him to reposition at the very least. Doesn’t even need to be hitscan, someone like Junk or Pharah can do the trick against a stationary target.

As for tanks, you can either just eat his bullets with D.Va or Sigma, or hook him with Hog.

For healers you got Ana’s sleep to make an opening, discord to burst him down quickly, and I field to get you some extra time.

All of this is assuming you try to actually fight him and don’t just walk around him and force him to come to you. Especially when they’re on highground defense, just hug the wall beneath them and they can not shoot you 90% of the time.

If Bastion was impossible to counter, he wouldn’t be widely considered the worst hero in the game currently.

5 Likes

What? Only way that’s happening at all is if the widowmaker or ashe gets behind the enemy team to hit his crit which is on his back in sentry form.

Bastion comps are not fun for anyone in the lobby except for the bastion.

If this character gets any changes, it has to be in the form of a rework.

3 Likes

They are just dying to say “be careful of what you wish for”, again.

Jump on him with junkrat. Either you should burst him down with junkrats insane burst (the mines won’t move turret bastion so he just eats both), or you die ON him and your death bombs toast him.

"But what if his team… "
then it should take your team to counter it.

4 Likes

Did people already forget about Echo?

Jeff: BASS-TION.
20 Char

People are needing a grim reminder as to why cheese heroes are the most toxic in this game and was purposely kept out of sight for years.

Let us all enjoy the passive playstyles guarding the president while the other team frantically trying to solve the problem. I hope shield tanks and Mercy players won’t fall asleep babysitting Bastion

1 Like

Firstly, it’s a team game, like you said. So you shouldn’t be trying to take Bastion on alone.

Secondly, Bastion really isn’t as easy to play effectively as you’d think… people say it’s just “point and click” but you gotta know when to run, what abilities you can tank and which kill you, flankers are a nightmare, etc. There’s a lot more to it than most like to give it credit.

These buffs hopefully help make Bastion a little more independent

7 Likes

This is pretty much the heart of Bastion.

Yes, with his high DPS, self heal, and damage resistance, the dude’s good in 1v1’s. But the game isn’t about 1v1’s, it’s about team fights. The bare minumum of basic coordination sends Bastion to the scrap heap. If he’s ever wrecking you, it’s because you’re trying to 1v1v1v1 him instead of working with your team.

2 Likes

Firstly, I don’t hate Bastion, and secondly, I don’t think he (or any character) deserves to live in the dumpster because something something skill. Bastion has to be carefully handled so he doesn’t get overtuned, but that doesn’t mean he has to be a throw pick.

A bad Bastion only gets value if he is matched against an equally bad team.

In addition to the heroes already mentioned, Genji and Tracer (if they are playing smart) can both harry Bastion’s ability to shred their team, and potentially kill him outright (especially with pulse bomb / clip / escape)

4 Likes

The problem is that he has really easy synergies that make a lot of this difficult. If the lower ELOs think for more than 5 seconds at the character select screen, you’ll end up with Mercy to pocket him and Orisa to shield him. He then has damage boost and 145hps in his back pocket.

The counter to that synergy requires WAY more coordination by the other team. Ashe isn’t going to shoot down that barrier by herself, nobody is going to dive with you, and Hog can’t get through the barrier without help.

Yeah, if your team is going to work together, you will get through it, but it requires working together, whereas the Bastion synergy…really doesn’t. I’ve been on both sides of it and Bastion is a terror. These are the wrong changes.

Fix his hit box, give him a more dynamic way to get around, but his turret is going to be a nightmare for the lower ELOs.

2 Likes

That’s exactly Bastion’s niche. The character was always overpowered… against a team with zero coordination. You could say Bastion is a coordination check to the enemy team. The slightest bit of coordination sends Bastion back to spawn

7 Likes