Easy: save "McCree" with Joel

I don’t understand why we don’t just let mccree win that name. He deserves it more!

Also they insisted only their own perception of the noose spray counts, even though cowboys have been associated with them since before that movie. Just because they think of a particular scene in a particular movie does NOT mean that the noose only references that, and in fact that noose was deliberately made generic.

It was clearly meant to a be a cowboy noose. But that doesn’t mean cowboy noose itself only means Clint Eastwood movies. And the developers ended up having to grapple with the multiple connotations a generic noose symbolizes.

1 Like

ok let’s just go through all the controversial things about MCREE.

1. the cigar. this game is played by children. it should be removed.
  2. the “BAMF” on his belt. ‘mother f***er’ is not something that is in line with Blizzard’s values or is suitable for children.
  3. the character now shares a name with someone who was part of the cosby suite photo, someone who was let go from Blizzard. it would be hypocritical to remove alex afrasiabi from wow but not remove mcree from overwatch at this point, wouldn’t it? the rules are applied differently to different people?
  4. the womanizing aspects of his character. I didn’t think anything of it at first… I thought it was sweet the way he helped echo up, even if his hand continued to linger in contact with hers for a bit too long. how he kept pictures of girls on his motorcycle dash. how he ‘just happened’ to be in the right place at the right time to bump into his ex-girlfriend… it was only much later that the stories came out about how he tied her up and had it his way

You know I do wonder about that sometimes. Perhaps this game should be rated M.

This applies to movies but I wonder how it is with games.

The BAMF is fine. Cussing isn’t something that harms anyone and the game is already rated for teens.

Alex was one of the worst offenders, which is why he’s one of the few directly named in the suit. And his depictions in WoW honored him. McCree’s connection both begins and ends with the name. So I don’t think the two situations are the same at all, therefore a different response is perfectly reasonable.

Yikes. This is not a fair description of the character at all

3 Likes

The irony here is you acknowledge the post. Yet do nothing to refute it. However, I do not want you to refute it. Because the other side of the argument is wrong.

Lol, you’re adorable.

1 Like

The name is fine. The cigar is fine. The belt buckle is fine. It’s a video game where you kill people. The cancel culture and “remove the monuments” crowd will be the downfall of our society.

2 Likes

Nah, I’m more inclined to think that listening to media outlets that tell you what to think, and how to think, and what to be upset about, essentially supplanting independent thought, will be the downfall of our society. This gets down to the level of if I know who you’re likely to vote for, or what outlets you watch, I have a good sense of whether or not you’re willing to, for instance, get vaccinated. Or how you feel about free and fair democratic elections.

The fact that you believe cancel culture will be the downfall of society, to me, suggests that you’ve outsourced your thinking to those whose talking points you parrot, and that you’ve lost a vital sense of perspective, or you never had any to begin with.

1 Like

The media outlets in general are the ones that fuel the cancel culture. You are making my point for me with your response to my post. You’re upset about the name of a video game character because people have told you to be upset about it based on coincidental nonsense that a few have chosen to push onto others. You then make all kinds of assumptions about the person you disagree with and attempt to insult them.

Keep pushing your nonsensical agenda on others and then trying to belittle them when they do not see things in a narrowminded way. Have fun with that. lol

I still don’t see why the name “Jesse McCree” needs to be removed from Overwatch. People say “because it can be triggering to some people”, but no one’s saying it’s triggering. Nobody cares.

Besides, this is a game where people shoot and kill each other. Gun violence is triggering to some people, I know it is for me, but I don’t think we should remove the guns.

2 Likes

No, his name shouldn’t be changed over some crying online

2 Likes

Or you save mccree by doing absolutely nothing and stop creating problems from thin air.

2 Likes

There is I read that the acronym of the cowboy belt is not for the “usual” BAMF meaning. The most probably they could be the initials of the founding members of Deadlock:

Deadlock Rebels Spoilers

Baez/B.O.B.
Ashe
McCree
Frankie

1 Like

Or let’s not change it at all because people are over reacting? He’s a fictional character with the same name as a real person that is unrelated

1 Like

That’s actually Ashe motorcycle.

He doesn’t “bump in his old girlfirend” : first, they NEVER dated. (Yes, the share an history, no, it wasn’t romantic)
Secondly, he set her up to blow up the train in order to get to Echo. Did we watch the same animated short?

Before talking about the lore, learn about the lore. Please.

2 Likes

oh, I didn’t notice, I like it as a theory. would you like to talk about it in a topic for the story section? :slight_smile:

1 Like