Duplicate in legendary in lootbox

Title. Is this supposed to happen? The legendary I got was a duplicate

Credits returned for duplicates actually depends on the value of the items. Legendary dupes give 200 credits, regardless of event status.

2 Likes

I don’t think that answers the question…

2 Likes

it’s literally them asking why they got a legendary duplicate

Yes and your answer doesn’t answer that lol. It explains what a duplicate is, not why they got it xD

3 Likes

i explained what a duplicate was because they got a legendary duplicate and asked why they got a duplicate. unless they didn’t know legendary could cause duplicates

Did you open any other lootboxes before opening the lootbox you got the legendary in?

What was the skin in it? Did you buy skins before opening the loot box?
The loot is determined at the time you get the lootbox.

No. In the legendary lootbox which GUARENTEES a new legendary I got a duplicate. I’m wondering if that’s supposed to happen

1 Like

Their question was about the legendary lootbox in particular

then yeah, if you already have that skin then it’s gonna be a duplicate no matter what. even in legendary loot boxes. however i got confused sorry

Not exactly how it works.

The system determines, for each of the four items, whether or not it is going to be an event cosmetic or not BEFORE deciding rarity or item. So, it chose that that skin would be an event skin before deciding its rarity.

Then, it picks the rarity. So, it chose for you a legendary of an event skin.

Finally, it chooses which skin to give. So, if it picked an event where you already have all of the legendaries, you will receive a duplicate. Choices are limited to the pool provided by the event, and it will not undo the first step if you already have all of the skins from said event. That’s how you get a duplicate.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

But they aren’t supposed to. Unless you own everything in the loot pool.

yes they do, each skin is a 50/50 and this player got unlucky and got one of the 50%’s and received a duplicate

That’s not how overwatches loot system works.

No its not.

For every category of “tier” in cosmetics (epic, rare, legendary, etc) the system will firstly pick a tier for each item in the lootboxes, look at whether you’ve unlocked everything at that tier and if you have, then you should get duplicates and if you havent, then you shouldnt get them

sure it doesn’t lmao

It doesn’t, and you probably don’t pay much attention if you think it does.

I’m not sure that’s accurate. Unless they have changed that, this is not the order of things. It does (or it used to) check against your items and any item in that tier (legendary for example) it would drop.

Now Anniversary could be different, as we are dealing with multiple event items and it might pick event first then item last, but that isn’t how it should be. Normally in any other singular event you won’t see a duplicate unless you have already unlocked the items for the said event and all the normal ones at the respective tier.

I’m going to go test this, as in my case it should cause a duplicate if this is true. Will update shortly.

Interesting. I got the current legendary new skin from Junkrat, plus 3 other new anniversary items.

From my perspective it worked exactly as I predicted it would. However that doesn’t preclude that it won’t work as yeetles suggested either. One test isn’t a certainty.

There might have been other factors the original post didn’t mention as well.

Oh well.

I’m almost confident it’s true. I have gotten duplicates of epics for Events, even though I don’t have all of them for the base loot box.

Now, if you have all of the cosmetics of a specific tier in the regular pool, you will be forced to get an event cosmetic at that rarity. But it does not work the same way for having all cosmetics for an event.