DPS Q times are the reason the game is dying, lets face it

Well, today’s your lucky day :slight_smile:

Go on, what have you got to lose? If you stump me, then you’ll win and prove me a fake :slight_smile: So please, take your shot :slight_smile: If not, i’m just going to assume you do not actually want to prove things either way and you’re trolling/spamming.

Well, this is amusing :stuck_out_tongue:

Tanks and what do we do?

1 Like

Not making tanks fun to play and balancing them horribly is the main reason this game is dying. Blizzard is killing their game not people who want to play DPS. You cant force people to play something that is boring and stale.

Love your work GreyFalcon. If there’s anyone I would want a question and answer session with it would be you!

Damnit, i didnt see that was such an old thread when i replied :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol.

Well I do have my current mix of ideas on mostly the same subject.

Balancing to solve "Rein or Lose"

Mostly, changing 2 unpopular heroes, and two abilities on heroes with overloaded kits, and making all of them more desirable for middle ELOs. Would be enough to clear a path to fix Tanks.

At the cost of probably causing about 0.1% of the playerbase to quit. (Which is a bargain compared to the passive quits from not fixing Tanks and queue times)

I mean it’s not the only thing… right?

Grey, I would love your opinion on something. What do you think about having mouse and keyboard support on console alongside cross play?

Tbh, cross play between KBM console players and PC is fine.

But controller players should only play against other controller players. Largely because there’s an element of autoaim on consoles.

1 Like

Why que for a role that hasn’t been fun for literal years?

The devs have spent the past 5 years not caring whether their tank/support players are having any fun. They keep making balance changes to tanks and supports with zero consideration for making sure that they’re still fun to play afterwards.

And it gets worse: tank/support players who leave feedback along the lines of “This patch makes [tank/support hero] noticably less fun to play” get ignored every time.

Tank/support players aren’t taken seriously when they complain that their mains are being turned into joyless chores to play and threaten to quit over it.

No one listened to their dire warnings that no one will want to play tank/support if this keeps up.

1 Like

Because of short queue times. And that’s where advantages end.

Crossplay is and isnt fine - it depends on the setup and how you pit them against each other. While neither playerbase is “better” than the other, M+K gives better high fidelity control.

The physical differences between M+K and controller is a big deal. Mouse matches 1 to 1 between physical movement and screen motion, meaning you’re not limited on how fast the cursor accelerates. Controller has both an acceleration and speed limit.

Also, physically, you control a mouse with your hand/arm to move around a large space (your mouse mat), whereas controllers have your thumb (small) moving a stick (limited angle of tilt). Mouse just has higher fidelity.

Plus, and this one is a minor point not really applicable to OW, but keyboards have more keys :stuck_out_tongue:

(Dont get me started on VR controllers - designing a game around a controller that’s basically a garage door opener with a gyroscope in it isnt fun)

So yeah, crossplay is possible, but it could very easily end up with the console players feeling overwhelmed even in low end games through no fault of their own. Since OW is heading in that direction due to the success of other Bliz/Acti products, it’ll be interesting to see how the devs draw a line between the different player types.

1 Like

I’m sorry but where is you evidence for this? Maybe now after blizzard went and made the the other two roles unfun by killing the core identities of the characters and nerfing the very small selection pool into the ground whilst buffing the dps role and adding new ones.

Even then, you still don’t have evidence to support that claim. Many tank and support players may now be playing dps - yes -but would they rather have been playing tank and support if blizzard had not gone on a lofty crusade to convert the game into yet another generic shooter?

Originally the game was a success because it was different and had tanks and supports.

Dps players are merely the most vocal and self centered (not all dps player - but enough) And that’s not to say you don’t get arrogant tank and support players - but I get the feeling its become a game in the lower ranks to see how much they can get a character nerfed. Perhaps even in higher tiers where their are bored trolls.

They will eventually turn on other dps as well.

It was naturally like this - players come to FPS to go “pew-pew” and kill stuff mostly.

I’ve never really understood this given that D.va, Orisa, and wrecking ball do go “pew-pew”, while plenty of damage heroes don’t do much “pew-pew”.

As a DF and Rein player myself I prefer to go “pow-pow”, “thwack-thwack”.

That reasoning kinda falls flat for WoW when you realize that:

1. Ever since WotLK or Cata (I forgot the exact expansion), you can have 2 specializations between which you can swap on the fly.
  2. for the longest time, the most efficient way for leveling was spamming dungeons, meaning that leveling tanks or supports was actually faster than leveling a DPS (since your queue times would be very short). That only changed a few years ago when they revamped the leveling system and now with shadowlands they implemented some system that allows new characters to basically skip almost the entire leveling process.
  3. specifically for tanks: there have been several xpacs/patches where tank specs actually did more damage than damage specs.

ps: yeah I know, I’m late to this thread, but it’s still going on for some reason.

The evidence for that is every game ever that has the DPS-tank-support division.

It doesn’t fall apart for WoW.

Look at the number of classes you can DPS with. Compare that to tank or Support.

Again, there is a CRAZY difference in build options between the 3.

More so, they very much suffer from “a lot of people start as support, and then drop out to become DPS”, you compare the number of tanks / support in the low level areas to the mid level ones. Where did the tank and support players go? Well, grinding content for them is a lot slower. Yes, they can raid, but, the PvE situation is pretty dire.

Like when I was building match makers for MMOs the thing which struck me the most was that there was a LOT of players who started tanking and supporting characters, but the drop off rate of people playing them was massive.

It wasn’t that people didn’t want to play them, because the new hero numbers showed that they did, it was that you couldn’t keep them playing them.

Early Overwatch was like this as well, it was FLOODED with Mercy players. It was a serious problem that you would end up with a lot of games where it was “we have 3 mercy mains… GG”

But we couldn’t keep them. the difference between Tank and Support and DPS queues kept getting worse as time went on, which is how we got PriQueue.

The point is, we can’t keep them, because early / mid game sucks so hard for them.

They are extremely team dependant, but, if you don’t have teams which work well with them, then you are going to have a bad time of it.

That sucks if you are going to balance the game around the areas where you can rely on teams. Because yeah, you will nerf the hell out of them to make them average in GM / OWL, but below that where the teams just don’t work as well together? Well, they won’t be fun to play.

So we lose them. Which is why we have priqueue now.

3 Likes

That is one of the reasons why I wasn’t against the 2-2-2 limitation if it would be OWL/Contenders only (and maybe Comp), because they were the only ones that could actually make use of multiple tanks in the same team.

As pretty much anyone who ever played Reinhardt for any extensive amount of time can say, the matches where you have a Zarya coordinated with you, or a main healer focusing on keeping you alive make the whole tank role a blast to play.

It start sucking when you notice that people are walking in front of your shield and don’t follow you when you push against the enemy team. When that happens, you swap to tanks that requires less team coordination to work, which is where characters like D.va, Zarya, Roadhog and Wrecking Ball become popular.

It don’t help as well when after you witness one of those kind of fights and swap off Rein, suddenly everyone on the team is complaining that you swapped off and put the blame of the lost teamfights on you.

The trick is to never pick him in the first place.

1 Like

We actually could, but…certain rework happened.

Mainly because we pushed to make heroes more similar, while at the same time trying to make game faster. Which meant many nerfs to tanks and supports, that slow game down.

It’s fine to have support depend on individual players(I still remember when 60 hps were enough to help my 76 win fight against clearly more skilled 76), but once you try to make them depend on multiple players, everything comes crashing down.

More players have to work together for something, less probable whole scenario becomes. Queue times issue wasn’t unavoidable, it was direct result of balance policies.

1 Like