Doubts about Cassidy in Retribution

Dear @AndyB-11735, I’d like to ask you if you can clear up this huge doubt about the lore involving McCree’s new name, or if it’s possible to forward it to the game’s script team. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: . As you said:

However, I have noticed in the internal files of the game that all references with the name Jesse McCree have been eliminated even in the inactive vocal lines of Retribution (Moira, Reyes, Genji and Blackwatch pilot). But what does it mean? That those too will we see a re-dubbing at Cole Cassidy?

I have great fears that any re-dubbing in game to Cassidy during Retribution will create a huge narrative conflict with this statement, considering that you will not change the previous media (especially Reunion).

Is the script team considering that “McCree” existed in the lore as Reyes / Reaper? I don’t want to criticize your choices, but it is disturbing to create these narrative conflicts with OW 2 which promises to be a great product for us readers of the OW lore. Can we have some confirmation for the future of Retribution Archive in this case? :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried:

4 Likes

i’m worried about Archives next year cause of this.

2 Likes

I guess they’d redub it so it makes no mention of his name at all.

2 Likes

They’ll just call him Cowboy instead. :wink:

it’s an idea but it’s hard enough to do, with Jesse getting involved in a lot of topics.

https://overwatch.fandom.com/wiki/Retribution/Quotes

moira and genji are almost always cut in the titles (or even just “the ninja”) to define their detached relationship respect to what coincides with McCree’s character and / or the dialogues he assimilates. Reyes at that moment assumes an authoritarian role to be almost always referred to as “commander”, but you must also consider the gameplay statements where it is said “moira is down”, “Reyes is offside” etc. probably the ideal alternate method is “agent” or “hey, cowboy”, but not in the relationship with Reyes, his blackwatch mentor. Moral and trustful speeches are very important to fiction, and it would sound unnatural to give it an overly formal and never explicit approach to the name.

I don’t know how the devs will handle this but it would be very comforting to know if they have thought about it. :crossed_fingers::grimacing::pray:

1 Like

Reyes COULD say, “kid,” in relation to the mentor/student relationship. It is used in a wide variety of media when there is this kind of relationship to show a more dominant/subordinate role. Them saying, “cowboy down,” doesn’t sound all that terrible. Then when Reyes addresses him directly, he could call him kid.

Admittedly, it doesn’t work in all situations, but they may need to be creative on some of the lines, like, “Jesse, get that door open.” But the, “there’s that famous cowboy attitude,” does work.

4 Likes

Good point, I think most of us who care about narrative quality would appreciate Cole Cassidy never being mentioned if the narrative is before the Neo-Overwatch reunion at Gibraltar after defending Paris.

Otherwise stop peeing on our leg and telling us it is raining. Just say you’re retconning Jesse McCree and not making it a lore element as the official announcement demonstrated.

If Retribution, and the European localization of Deadlock Rebels has Cole Cassidy instead of Jesse McCree, then it is a retcon and not a plot device. I don’t care which you pick, just remain consistent if you care about story quality.

If you go the retcon route, tell us please out of respect.

7 Likes

I think it’s pretty safe to say the name “McCree” won’t appear or be heard in-game anymore.

OOO, I know one for, “Jesse, get that door open.” Just say, “noobie,” instead.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it. I have a feeling OW2 will be overshadowing any event around that time…

1 Like

I mean canonically Reaper cannot wraith form or teleport at that time but yet there he is doing it all the same. They will almost certainly use his new name in all the files for that reason because clarity beats logical consistency for the events.

not exactly. Reyes had already begun to assume powers through Moira’s experiments. we can see it in two ways: in the origins :

and in this line of dialogue:

• Moira: How are you feeling, commander?
  • Reyes: Fine. No ill effects so far.
  • Moira: Let me know if that changes.

the comparison of this period for Reyes is that of the “magical” effects of the vigors and plasmids of Bioshock, before suffering the devastating effects on the body that need to be masked. :slight_smile:

More officially, it could be said that Retribution was the last moment in which the scientist had to deal with Blackwatch before being publicly excluded from the management of Overwatch after the scandals (ironically, I see a certain parallelism to the disavowal of McCree in all its forms in the game :rofl::rofl::rofl:)

I agree that it would be a good disguise for the use of the name Jesse or McCree.

we might hope that the fwedvack gets to the writers, before collapsing the lore into such a glaring mistake. :crossed_fingers::grimacing::crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

He’s been in Blackwatch for about 12 years by that point - hardly a newbie.

1 Like

That’s all they will do, they will cheese it anywhere they can.

We might get a new version of it as Archives probably will fold into the PVE portal. I expect all those missions will.

2 Likes

yes, I too think they will “adapt” the previous missions a little. especially uprising, which is extremely different in the visual storytelling. :thinking:

but that “cassidy” remains a big question about how to act.

You need to remember this is a lore event. In the lore he went by Jesse McCree when he was a vigilante and a member of blackwatch. He’s only Cole Cassidy now.