Don't you guys have phones?

As a six-year Overwatch veteran, I don’t have a phone plan that qualifies me to play OW2. It’s sad to see that in an effort to combat smurfing, many less fortunate OW players will be caught in the crossfire.

123 Likes

It is a pretty bad decision, as usual. It will not even stop malicious smurfs. It does more to just quell alternative accounts.

32 Likes

I think the number one reason they’re doing it is they know no one will buy cosmetics or BPs on an alt account. They want everyone on their mains so that they are more likely to spend money.

24 Likes

well i came here to find out if this was true, normally they let you recieve the code via email to , well i was planning to swing by and check out the new patch , least i found out before i bothered downloading it!

i to do not have a phone.

9 Likes

It’s also to combat cheating. Borrow a relative’s phone number if you want to play i guess.

7 Likes

Sucks for the people who don’t have a phone. Or no friends or family with one. Which is probably very few people. But it helps everyone else. Anything to make it harder/more expensive/more inconvenient to smurf. Also harder for banned players to make another account.

17 Likes

Then so too can whoever “cheating” also do such too, no?

How does that Solve anything.

9 Likes

According to African stats, there are more people with phones than access to bank accounts.

There’s no excuse to not have a phone.

10 Likes

It’s an idea, do it or don’t. I have a phone so I am not going to have issues.

hey, i really hope you get a phone. it will help you in life in general, not just with overwatch. in 2022, you need a phone. if you have a landline, cancel that, and get a mobile instead, that should make the bill a little less hard to swallow.

3 Likes

If it quells “alts” at all, then it’s a welcome improvement.

Nobody is having a good time when some 10000 hour veteran is “alting” against people who don’t even know what each hero does.

9 Likes

you need an excuse to not own a phone? last mine about 15 years ago spent two days without it , decided not to go back.

its no biggy as people have pointed out im sure there are not many of us like me and im no that bothered theres a lot of games out there.

5 Likes

This F2P model literally translates into NOT a F2P game at all if everyone is forced to provide a Cellular phone number. The youth do NOT all own Cellular. My Verizon is literally $100+ per month. That unequivocally means not F2P whatsoever or can you use Home Phone # too? All I seeing is SMS which doesn’t sound like Home # works.

10 Likes

The percent of people that don’t have phones but still somehow have a computer and play video games has to be in the .1 percentile lol, I mean you really wanna play, join the rest of the world and get a cell phone

11 Likes

aww thats really seet of ya , thanks!

but its actually a choice :wink: i used to have a phone i prefer not to

3 Likes

I fall under the category of disallowed phone plans. Regular plans are very expensive in my country.

21 Likes

most phones are NOT $100 a month. but CONGRATS! that means you don’t need to make ANY new purchases and can access Overwatch 2 for free since you already have a number.

1 Like

Y’all understand that OW2 is on Console too & actual Children play this game too, right?

8 Likes

Most games will require 2FA with mobile numbers, this is a new wave with not just blizzard but any online service game

2 Likes

is there no super barebones plan in your country?