Don't nerf tanks, hear me out

Here’s what’s happening before the patch.

1. Tanks are good and strong.
  2. Everyone hard counters tanks, tanks become lowly peasants hiding in the corners and begging for suzu.
  3. Playing tank is miserable and anti-fun.

Here’s what’s gonna happen after the buffs.

1. The tank will carry for 2 minutes.
  2. The entire enemy team will hard counter the tank (like it always did).
  3. The tank will be 20% less miserable, but still useless (yes, even with all these buffs).

You can give monkey 300% damage increase on his gun, he is still going to explode in seconds against reaper+bastion. And insta reaper bastion is what I get playing monkey 85% of the time.

5v5 is created in a way that tanks are canceled no matter what. If Mei, Torb, Reaper, Bastion exist, any tank buff is obsolete. The patch buffs increases your survivability against reapers and bastions for like 3%. On paper the patch notes look like tank are going to be good, but it’s not true. You are still going to have 3-4 hard counter picks every 2 minutes in your match, it’s just you are going to suck less. Like maybe your death count will decrease by 1 per match.

I promise, if you don’t nerf tanks and let players play 2 weeks like this, you will see how right I am. People are going to hard counter tanks (like they always did for more than a year now) and still make it miserable to play. 5v5 and good tank are impossible together, forget it.

3 Likes

Before this patch, most of the counter-swapping against tank was done by the opposite tank.
Now I’m seeing that DPS in particular are also counter-picking the tank much more consistently, since whichever tank wins the match-up will win the teamfight 90% of the time.

As I predicted, the more powerful tanks become, the more the game becomes about making their lives as difficult as possible. You can’t fix Counterwatch with buffs — they will only make it even worse.

2 Likes

Ib my experience it was acrually DPS/Supports that countered more.

This varies from rank to rank and also depends on the tank being played (as some are much weaker to it than others). The point still stands that counter-picking the tank is the easiest path to victory, because tank is simply that powerful.
The bottom line is that more counter-picking is happening, and will continue to happen in this format.
You can’t blame the DPS or supports for counter-picking. If you don’t do it, you will simply get run over by an otherwise unkillable tank. They’re merely doing their best with the cards they’ve been dealt.

1 Like

I have been playing a lot after the patch and I mean a lot. All I can say is Blizzard can buff tanks but they cannot buff people playing them. Tanks not switching when countered is still prevalent and is a guaranteed loss. People going in 1vs5 even more now because they are invincible or so they thought. I called it. This patch is going to create bad gameplay and bad habits. People playing tank are even more stupid now when it comes to their in game decision making.

Buffing tanks made only the other two roles miserable to play and resolved nothing for the Tank role. No matter which giga buffed tank you pick, their counter is also giga buffed so you end up playing the worse version of rock, paper, scissors.

1 Like

D.Va has more defense matrix, but Zarya’s beam still ignores it. Reinhardt has a stronger shield, but Rammatra punches through it. They’ve made tanks more powerful but a lot of counters are the same if not worse.

2 Likes

Depends on the tank.

When I go dva, it is the tank switching to zarya or sigma. When I go winston, it is the dps and supports that become the fun police.

I can and do absolutely blame them. I do not need to counterpick Reinhardt in my lobbies. I love playing against him BECAUSE I can play literally any hero I want without feeling as if I am disfavored. These losers are not doing their best. They are picking the path of least resistance, boosting themselves, and then caught in a cycle of needing to continue if they want to maintain their artificial rank. The only reason they are “getting run over” is because they should not even be in those lobbies.

Nah dva def needs a nerf

im not even joking literally every single time I went ball, ANY enemy dps who I kill once switch to sombra, i really want to share my match history for my last 20 games but idk how to, u think a tracker can show if enemy team switched or not? cuz this is just not fun man

1 Like

Ok, Rein doesn’t need counter-swapping. Break shield, he can’t do anything.

As for choosing the path of least resistance goes — wins are what matter in ranked play.

However, counter-swapping in unranked is absolutely cringe.

1 Like

Not for me. 9/10 matches in diamond/masters I have to deal minimum 2 counter picks, on average 3 counterpicks for the entire game.

Imagine there was a second tank that could compensate this. You don’t have to, 6-7 years of OW1 exist.

Exactly. Nothing is going to change. Except if the enemy doesn’t counter pick the tanks, they will suffer more.

Yeah, on paper seems like tanks are broken now, but anyone can log in and play themselves to quickly realise that it’s not true.

Yeah, exactly the same for me. I had to watch Bogur playing monkey against reapers and bastions specifically, to see how he handles it. It’s a sad gameplay.

With all due respect, the game creates counter picking dependency. If the game allows to have an advantage with one button, people will use it.

Its a multipart process. However, people are foolish into thinking that a single patch will change things enough to fix everything.

Sounds to me like they really gotta get their rears in gear. It’s been 2 years. We were promised a better game. Where is that?

We were promised a lot of things, like highly replayable pve

Tanks only need to be nerfed in open queue and 6v6 (if the latter even comes back). And with that being said, the dev team are going to have one hell of a time trying to balance two completely different versions of the same game.

1 Like

jq, mauga, rammatra and zarya are needing nerfs and a tank doesnt always carry a team though in a match i recently finished i did carry my team as a dva making 2 tanks rage quit with one of them goign dva then zarya being toxic telling people to sit and stuff just ot end up being the tank that got owned by a tank they was taunting

I genuinely know to admit when I was wrong, and I think I was.

Is this patch perfect? No. Nowhere close. It was the Moon Knight meme “random bullsh*t GO!” But that’s not meant to discredit the devs on planning this patch. I’m sure some thought and a lot of faith went into it (and I’m usually cynical and think they’re brainless).

I think they just need to continue tweaking and listening. And that goes for the entire roster, not just tank heroes. Begin with a small Mauga and D.Va nerf and see where it goes.

I don’t know, it’s almost two years now and it’s just not working. 5v5 is not working.