Don't entirely delete OW1, keep Quickplay Classic

If they rework maps for 5v5, then ow1’s 6v6 will become even more miserable.
BTW I wanted OW to be 5v5 even in 2016.

No…

Don’t change OW1 AT ALL!

So to play 5vs5 you click on the icon called “Overwatch 2” in the battle.net launcher.

To play Overwatch we know right now then just launch Overwatch 1 which may be renamed “Overwatch Classic” and is kept just as a legacy with only Arcade and no role-lock so there’s short queue times even with a small playerbase.

And you can get that in OW2.

But the fact is that Overwatch 1 sold about 60 million copies with 6 vs 6.

There’s not going to be OW1 anymore. They don’t even develop it. It’s a live service, so one day you will just get a patch that will remove OW1. (Unless OW2 never comes out, which wouldn’t surprise me at this point)

They don’t need to develop it.

Counterstrike 1 still exists despite Counterstrike: Global Offensive existing and being where Valve puts all their effort.

No it’s not a live service it’s a perpetual licence.

A live service is one where you pay a fixed cost for a fixed and EXPLICITELY delineated period of time. Like a subscription to World of Warcraft.

If you pay one cost and it doesn’t explicitly say what the time limit is then you have bought a perpetual licence which is exactly that: perpetual. The only updates can be maintenance and adding features, not removing them.

I know of no valid data to support this claim

1 Like

Oh really? You won’t be able to play current version of OW whenever Blizzard decides to release a patch. Remember people complaining about removal of Lucioball? They got ignored. You will play OW2 or nothing.

Look up in the thread, Jeff K. pulled the stats back in April 2020. Plain as day.

the data is question is 2 years old, for a single day, and was pulled at a time when the available play options are not what they are now. Apples to oranges

Further, it wasnt raw numbers, it was percentages of total use, which means that claims of “few” or “many” cant truly be construed from this data

as such, this data does not support the claim that was made

the claim is as it stands entirely unsupported

2 Likes

They won’t keep and old mode of the game that will just generate old arguments about 5v5 VS 6v6.

OW is moving on with or without you, that’s just a fact.

We’ll see if Microsoft will still allow that.

They may call shenanigans on this shenanigans and just insist that Overwatch 2 be releases as a normal game and leave OW1 alone.

Let me back oyu up, it’s also hours played, not unique users.

A “hardcore” comp players who grinds for 5 hours is counted double for a casual player who plays QPC or No Limits for 2.5 hours and enjoys themselves finishing completely satisfied.

That was the plan.

Microsoft is calling the shots now and they run a tight ship.

A ridiculous arrangement of Overwatch 1 morphing into Overwatch 2 but not completely where you have to pay for the rest of OW2 separately is just not going to go down well when explained to Phil Spencer.

Why would Microsoft not insist that OW2 just be sold as a completely separate stand alone game?

This! I see no reason why you should delete it.
So far I like the 6v6 wqay more than the 5v5 and still want to play it alot.
As you said the games are always filled and with all the changes OW1 is kind of another game of OW2… So why deleting it?

Don’t entirely delete OW1, keep Quickplay Classic

OW evolved. I mean it bears little resemblance to the game at launch, this is just another step forward.

OTOH, there was some comment made they were considering 6 v 6 arcade mode for laughs.

The Forum Necromancer is out today I see… gj.

No more tank duos :frowning:

Trust me, I was a strong advocate against 5 v 5, but it plays a lot better overall. It’s for the best.

I don’t care if it plays a lot better. I play for fun, not for SR or funny yellow text appearing on the screen. Duo’ing as Winston with my goofy ahh Reinhardt friend is the best

And it didn’t even change that much, don’t let the YouTubers simping for blizzard try to brainwash you otherwise, the improvement was not worth what was lost, there were other ways to do things rather than the nuclear option they always favor.

2 Likes

Well, one of you is probably going Support.

If you told me someone leaked the source-code for OW and there were Fan servers running, I would probably be all over that. as it would also mean balancing would be done by the community and etc… Prob run for a month or so before blizzard C&D’d them.