Don’t Kill Symmetra

I wouldn’t even focus on the beam lock on part. The potential of her being a good support or 2nd hand was cut because they refused to improvise on her shield hp capabilities. They had tremendous amount of feedback to make it work, but what do they do? They ignore most of it and listen to those who prefer as a defense hero. It makes me sick that they couldn’t think of anything better, but perhaps that’s the limit of their skills when it comes to improvising on heroes they can tweak to perfection or close.

A support that doesn’t heal is a waste of a support slot. Symmetra is not fine.

7 Likes

Symmetra wasn’t meant for pure healing. Her abilities was focus on shield hp that should of been able to regenerate during combat recovering lost shield hp so your hp won’t be harmed as much. Overwatch developers never took tips from Heroes of the Storm who has a support hero that specializes in shield healing.

Symmetra literally creates a second objective that the enemy team have to focus on breaking first, or fight at a severe disadvantage. Both of her ultimates are extremely powerful because of them being permanent until destroyed. There is a reason why people focus them down so hard.

Remember back in the days of mass rez, when people had the motto “you either kill Mercy first, or eleventh”? Remember that Valkyrie is now actually better being ignored while you just focus fire because her healing isn’t that good? People focused Mercy because they recognized how strong Resurrection was. People don’t focus the moth because Valkyrie is a non-threat.

Shield Generator is closer to Resurrection than Valkyrie. And Symmetra and her team can exploit that, once you know they will send Tracer or D.va to shutdown your ult. More than once, while defending, eg, Eichenwalde last point, I see a Tracer zipping past the backline to destroy my Shield Gen, and I actually tell my team to push because we wil fight 6v5. Tracer usually will end up destroying the ult, but by the time she returns to help with the main fight, its mostly over, and I’m at 70% ult charge again.

That is not theorycraft. That is me telling you what happens in my games with astonishing frequency. You lure Tracer out, you fight 6v5, you win the team fight. If they instead ignore the SG and fight us 6v6, well, we have an extra tank worthy of HP. That gives my team a lot of room for error.

2 Likes

Only thing effective with Symmetra is either Mercy pocketing her or her team having great synergy.

Symmetra is terrible right now. At best, she’s a gimmick hero that barely works, and at worst she’s a throw pick that’s barely above “Torb Bot smacking his Turret”.

I can respect people who master her. There’s a reason that people like Steveo can get GM/T500 consistently with her, but he is an exception, not the rule, like the one dude who played Widowmaker with a bread stick.

A mini-rework, or facelift level rework that other heroes would not work for her. It didn’t work the first time, and Blizzard have accepted that her toolkit is just bad. The new rework looks far better, and offers Symmetra far more versatility and flexibility than she currently has.

1 Like

One GM Sym streamer (Stevo? Not sure) once challenged one of those pros (before OWL) to make a Symmetra smurf and see how high they can climb with her. If she is such an easy hero, it should not be hard to reach the same SR they have on their main accounts, right?

None of them took on the challenge thus far.

1 Like

Sym mains think she’s fine, but she needed to be reworked because of everyone ELSE.

1 Like

I mean from a dps perspective yeah, but as support not quite. She totally won’t feel the same, but players might just swap to Moira after this or stick with Symmetra knowing their old capabilities aren’t returning.

Most Sym mains knew she was semi fine a.k.a below average and hope for more tweaks to come. None of that came because of Mercy throughout 2017, but I won’t blame Mercy. I blame Jeff and his team dedication on the matter.

What does symmetra being easy have to do with anything ?

That wasn’t my point ,my point was OP said this :

Which is implying that pros can’t play symmetra, which is why they don’t pick her in OWL

Eitherway ,they probably have better use of their time rather than play sym.

That was more an engineering/programming marvel than skill. The point of those videos were not to show how skilled he is as a player, but how many different things he can use as “joystick”.

Symmetra never really fulfilled the niche to begin with. At her absolute most supportive, she was kinda like Sombra in that she could enable solo-healing in specific circumstances, but she never actively supported her team. She was a DPS with some supportive aspects to her kit, like Torb, 76 and Sombra are.

True, but I like that example because I find it funny.

There’s plenty of examples though, you had Chro who mained Junkrat before his buffs, Fuey who mains Torb, IIRC Eevee and Animetic also mained Mercy when Ana meta was in full swing.

The fact that people can find success on bad heroes doesn’t negate the fact that they’re bad, or nullify them needing a rework.

You can’t look at the 1-2 Torb or Symmetra mains in T500 and use that to justify their strength while ignoring the fact that every other T500 is a Tracer/Genji/Dva main.

1 Like

What are you talking about? 3.0 no Symmetra is still just as supportive as she was before lol. Only reason they moved her was because she doesn’t heal.

1 Like

Agree. She was totally a hybrid that can actually leave her team to do some flanking. I just think they should of improvise on her shield capabilities.

Only reason why they moved her to defense because they never saw a purpose of shield healing capabilities unlike the shield healer in Heroes of the Storm. Overwatch developers didn’t even try to approach anything with Symmetra until now. I wouldn’t say she as supportive she was before. She’s going to be different. I suppose her ult or teleporter is as supportive it goes depending the limit of her teleporter as an E ability.

Symmetra fine before her first rework? You couldnt even place 6 turrets before the enemies got to your position, having a limit of 3 was stupid

They definitely did massive testing in-house. They’re a bazillion dollar company.

1 Like

Please don’t give me that crap. You know good and well that’s a horrific response to give.

Exactly Symmetra was below average. All she needed was tweaks and feedback was there from 2016-2018. What was given? Something else.

So am I just supposed to believe that they just guessed a rework? That’s silly