Does this game force losses?

There are 2 things that determine how you are being matched. MMR and SR. Wherever your MMR is, the game will attempt to slowly move your SR towards that, whether that means giving you less SR for a win, or losing less from a loss, and vice versa. Lets say you start popping off in your games and you win a bunch because you’re doing well. Your MMR climbs wayyyy faster than your SR. So say youre at 2400 SR and MMR, and you pop off for 3 games, your MMR may go up to like 2700. The game is then attempting to determine if your SR deserves to be there, so you begin facing people of either similar MMR or high SR. That is what is forcing you to lose, you not being as good as your MMR is.

No, it does not. MMR is based on mechanics and your mechanics will not improve. So you’ll have your SR greater than your MMR. And as a result you’ll get a forced loss streak afterwards.

MMR algorithm also seems to be stupid as hell. For example, if you are forced to play your non-optimal hero in an attempt to drag your team to victory then you’re likely to lose more SR.

So to minimize your SR loss, just keep playing your main even if it’s not optimal.

1 Like

You seem to be misinformed. MMR is based on your performance. If you get 3 gold medals in a game, the MMR system will be like, “holy crap dude, he is a lot better than his SR.” And of course vice versa. The higher your MMR is, the more SR gain you will get from wins, but also the more challenging games you get in.

What do you mean by that? Game care about your sr a lot in ranks below diamond, thats why your sr loss/gain can be affected a lot by your MMR.

Game does no such thing, its logical that you will lose more games if you dont belong in higher elo and you were pushed there by luck for example or by group.

I dont think so, my documented case of run on alt is talking agaisnt this. I had huge winning streak as i carried every game and when i won one of the last games, my huge sr gain stopped at 25, while several games before that i was gaining 77 SR for win. So no, win-streak do not boost MMR. If you have some kind of evidence or data to prove it, i would like too see that.

System already know where you belong, thats why you have MMR which is updated after every match. If your mmr is boosted, you had to play above your elo before and carry games with your skill. You will face better oponents yeah, but you will play with better team mates too.

Not true, winstreaks happen by luck or by carrying games. MMR is not doing that, luck and your skill is doing that.

Only MMR is used by matchmaker to determine how you will be matched. SR is just showed so people see easy representation of their place in ladder and not more complicated MMR. Team’ average SR for is often same which might make you think ng matchmaker is using that. But its not, majority of player base has basicly same mmr and sr.

Yes, it does work like that. If you smurf, its actualy very fast with sr gains even up to +150 sr.

Yes it can, but if you dont pop up in next game, it will go back down :smile: just saying.

Normaly not, players who belongs in their elos have this slow, smurf can have very high adjustments

Yeah i do agree with this. Sometimes you have to decide, will i keep playing my hero with insane stats and win like 50 sr and lose only 15 when i lose the game. Or will i pick my worse hero to have better chance for win but lower sr and mmr gain? Decisions, decisions :smile:

From this post: Groups and Matchmaking in Overwatch

I took 3 of the important points here. These 3 points show that there can be large swings both directions that would cause players to be placed in matches they may not belong. Now you may think this isn’t happening to you, and you are probably right. It means its happening to your OPPONENTS and therefore its messing up your games as they climb or derank accordingly. You may play everyday but your opponents fall into one of these categories.

Again, not sure if kidding? You can do math right? 30/70 is not a 100% forced loss. Its 30% you’re gonna win, 70% you’re gonna lose. There’s a slim chance you could win. So I agree, no forced losses at all. Your chances of winning are low though

2 Likes

Any game is winnable because you have many factors which can go in. Even forced loss 0/100 is winnable if enemy players lose connection. Any chance lower than 50% is forcing you to lose more if system is doing it on purpose. But it still would be forced. If you say not, what about if game give you 1/99, is game forcing you lose or not?

As you can see here its how its done. Matchmaker is trying to give same chance to win to team, not to individuals by using players to give them lesser chance just because they played very well.

There is nothing what you claimed in those links. Nowhere is there said that you will get better enemies by over performing while your team mates will not be better too.

As you could see in quote text above game can truly give you 40/60 chance, but its not because you overperformed. Its because system didnt find perfect match for players who could have exact 50/50 chance. It could but then people would wait a lot longer for games.

1 Like

I’ve played countless hours on both console and PC since season 2 of comp. My average SR has been anywhere from mid silver to low plat over a period of years. MY PC peak is 2920. Console 3020 (for exactly 1 game). Take that info as you will.

Good to hear but how is it related to this topic lol :smile:

Yes, especially with random disnonects. The game rigs who will win and will go so far as disconect you when you’re not supposed to win but you are

Honestly i dont wanna say it forces losses cus it feels like a crutch BUT

Couple days ago i won comfortably most games and climbed 200sr across 2 roles.

Yesterday i went on a 10 loss streak even tho i felt like i was playing better than day before.

I think the main issue is the matchmaker is inconsistent, too many smurfs and boosted players. Chance of synergy or teamwork too random etc. But yh i would say climbing is achievable, ive done it enough times… some days however it does feel like u can’t change the outcome of any game

Not like this hard, you forgot about skill ceiling, if you need this diamond that hard, you’re probbably not a diamond player at all, so you are on the edge of your possibilities, and even if the game will proceed to give you some 50/50 games those last games would be harder 50/50 than previous ten games in same 50/50 state in terms of skill demand.

I’m a diamond tank on my main account, floating around 3300. On this account I’m struggling to get out of gold with the forced loss streaks.

I’m not playing any different on both accounts, yet the games absolutely feel different. On diamond I get mostly fair games where each party has a realistic chance to win.

On this account I pretty much only get stomps (in either direction), fair games are exceedingly rare.

2 Likes

That’s what I mean by MMR being mechanics-based. Smurfs have very good mechanics, so their SR is quickly adjusted to their MMR.

1 Like

I had a 13/12 loss streak yesterday (12 games lost out of 13). The chances of this happening randomly if teams are assigned with 50% win rate chance is about 1 in 4000.

I predict that today I’ll get a winstreak against paper-thin opponents once the matchmaker recalibrates and decides that I have too low SR for the MMR.

Do you know what ELO system is? For example, as used in chess.

It means that you have a rank and you have 50% chance of winning a game against an opponent of the similar rank. If you lose or win then your rank is adjusted accordingly.

This is how SR works in diamond and above. Your SR is the main criterion for match-making, the game doesn’t do forced loss/win-streaks. As a result it feels much more fair.

In ranks below diamond the SR is entirely fake. The game evaluates your mechanic performance, it doesn’t care about your wins/losses. And because of this, you get forced wins/losses.

If your MMR is higher than your SR = game thinks you’re a smurf
If your MMR is lower than your SR = game thinks you’re boosted

A lot of people seem to think having a higher MMR will get you easier games/better teammates when it’s actually the opposite. Since the MM is trying to create 50/50 games, if it thinks you are a smurf it’s going to make you carry some bots to make it fair. Likewise, if it thinks you’re the bot then you’re more likely to get smurfs on your team.

When you win you want to do as little as possible so the MM keeps giving you better teams. When you lose, same thing you want to throw as hard as possible to lower your MMR.

Obviously, it’s a reportable offense to hard throw but technically this would be the best way to lower your MMR. A lot of derankers complain that they can’t lose even by throwing games and this is the reason, because they’re always getting put on the better team due to their horrible stats.

Lose streaks happen when you’re sweating hard with 4 golds every game and still losing because you’re still managing to keep your MMR up with your good stats. Which means you keep getting the worse teams. It’s called handicapping and it’s very real.

So play more on “problematic” account to tweak your confirmation bias, instead of gathering false statistics.

It doesn’t. The developers said so - their objective is not creating fair matches but adjusting your SR to the computed MMR.

That’s the crux of the issue.

I might have confirmation bias (who hasn’t?), but loss streaks are very much real. They shouldn’t happen with a fair matchmaker.

I’ve actually stopped playing the game completely. I’ve got into Diamond with a tank, into plat with DPS.

I’m not fine at all with how they treat matchmaking and I’m not fine with the hero ban experiments. So I’m not going to play anymore.

I would say the only truth, if you stuck somwhere: you are belong there. All these “forced looses” are excuses for those who not accept the truth. I am gm and if I go play somwhere below gm - I climb to gm if not instantly but eventually. So all these are fairy tales of boosted players like I am 3300 on my main but stuck in gold on my alt. I know those guys, so typical.

Short Answer:

Y E S