Does overwatch need to be 6 vs 6?

9v9(243) would be good for me. Current DPS queue time just isn’t acceptable for me.

In this case, more DPS means more attack power, so tanks should be buffed somewhat.

More people also means less importance of each people, so less dependance on teammates except for tank role. Moreover, there could be more opportunity for niche heroes, perhaps.

1 Like

Jeff said before the overwatch engine can only load so many heroes at once, its why you can’t switch heroes when echo duplicates you, we will probably see th is change when ow2 releases soon™ with an upgraded engine.

1 Like

How could small indie company Activision Blizzard possibly afford such a thing???

1 Like

It should be 5v5 - 131 role queue with Tanks and Supports super buffed, Supports with life steal passives and Tanks with heals on elims passive for the solo job.

2 Likes

Or just give up on role que, I mean Paladins somehow makes that work

1 Like

lol, I mean, why not?

1 Like

both games could learn from each other tbh

1 Like

Paladins also lets characters flex into other roles via loadouts, so a RoleQ would A) require an enormous restructure of how the game works since it’d be pretty easy to circumvent, and B) is a little pointless anyway since you can adjust your loadout after hero selection to fit your comp, which in practice leads to Paladins typically having somewhat more-balanced comps than Overwatch which is why RoleQ was added in the first place. Once you also add in that Paladins generally does Tanks/Supports better (meaning more enjoyable & more incentive to play), that you can’t swap after committing in Paladins (meaning no mid-match swaps from Tank to DPS), and that there isn’t a strict dependency on any one role because the game’s mechanics reduce the pressure on any one role (for example, better cover options reduce the pressure to have a tank, and out-of-combat heals and lifesteal cards reduce to the pressure to have a tank), I think you get a system that pretty effectively address the many reasons why a RoleQ would be added.

I think there is a way Overwatch could move to a non-RoleQ system and be fairly successful, but it’d require some really large-scale changes from what they’re doing now. Personally, I’m extremely skeptical that the devs will alter their current course unless there’s a really catastrophic indicator that it isn’t working (i.e. OW2 underperforms)

2 Likes

This is an excellent explanation of all the things Paladins does so much better than Overwatch

The whole Rock-Paper-Scissors model that Overwatch relies fails because people are not emotionless spherical cows in a vacuum who emotionlessly counter switch. Trying to force a “balanced” comp via things like Role Que is a tacit admission of this.

If I’m playing Paladins and I one trick Ash, I don’t automatically put my team at a huge disadvantage if the enemy team has a Khan. Just about any team comp in Paladins has at least a decent chance of winning if the people play well.

In Overwatch the match is often decided at the hero select screen, assuming the matchmaker hasn’t already done so

1 Like

They barely have 10k players and can’t afford role queue wait times. Ow is better with it

Paladins is dying a slow death, you give them too much credit

1 Like

mobawatch is coming :pray:

1 Like

honestly most games are dying a slow death, even fortnite(though that death is a slower death but it wont last forever…our sun has to die one day :stuck_out_tongue: )

I would probably rather quit the game.
This games issue since Role Que is that it slowed the game down too much.
If you force 5v5, then even less action will happen.
I’d rather they remove Role Que than ever go 5v5

1 Like

i am not suggesting 5 vs 5 as such i was just wondering why 6 was the magical number, yes role queue is 2-2-2 but before role queue there were 4 different roles, offense(or attack i always forgot its name) defense, tank and support, so if role queue happened then it would be 2-1-1-2 which would just be weird since 2 of the roles were pretty much the same

i mean i get that 6 vs 6 is all they could handle but its still interesting to hear why they decided on 6 vs 6

The base of overwatch was made keeping im mind teamwork. Most of the games with less than 6 players per team, uses killing mechannics to make individual performance be better than team performance, because mostly everyone has the same weight. When you see overwatch at it’s core focusing on objectives and good team sync, make plays like ultimates more rewarding and more punishing. Overwatch in the past you could win without killing anything and having the possibility to change the hero during the match it’s really amazing. No other game it’s that reliant on those things, individual performance don’t play really well on overwatch if the other team play together. Paladins, dota and lol you could carry your entire team if you play well, overwatch you will be above the average, but doesn’t mean you really win the match if you don’t have the support from your teammates. Like smurfs using damage role with somebody as support to mitigate a bit those downsides, also well balanced team could counter that smurf if the rest of his team play bad.

1 Like

It’s how the game is look at other games like valorent or cs go and too make it looks really if we have more then 6vs 6 think about the last point on a 2 cp map

1 Like

I think its remained 6v6 due to limitations of their engine. Jeff said this a while back somewhere

Hopefully with OW2 their creativity can be used with a more powerful game engine

1 Like

i think if they had their time over considering they still have been unable to get 2cp right i cant imagine they would go down that game mode again, overwatch 2 has that push mode and i imagine that is what they would do instead

Yeah but ow has like 20x their player base and high res has moved on to rogue company

Paladins is dying in a very practical sense while overwatch will be around a long time

1 Like

i heard of rogue company but i didnt actually know it had anything to do with high res so that shows how much i know :stuck_out_tongue: i know not all these games are the same but there is crossover with stuff like apex legends, CS:GO, Valorant, overwatch, fortnite, pub g, rogue company, rainbow six siege, hyper scape ect all fighting for an audience(i know some might say there is not much crossover between some of the games but i left overwatch for apex legends, people are leaving apex for valorant and people are leaving valorant for hyper scape ect) its just interesting to see so many games compete like this