Does Mercy REALLY need a buff?

I’ve never done that unless I’m falling ressing. Even on PTR, I made sure to res during every Valk I could and never once stepped out of range or canceled it on myself. It would only reward good Mercies for knowing her limitations and punishing bad ones for not. This also allows her to freely cancel res in Valk if things are getting bad or she can’t get it off.

I think the fact that they had to nerf her base healing back to 50 (something that should be completely unrelated to rez) shows that it isn’t really balanced within itself

1 Like

Our experience differs

I find any healing worthwhile, personally – even a single HP

I still make mistakes at times :slight_smile:

I wish I was that good to never make such a mistake, but after I cast rez I am already looking around for my next thing to do, and as such I have occasionally stepped out of the required radius - even at the slowed speed

I know of no valid data to back a claim that the nerf of Mercy’s base healing is directly and solely related to the existence of the rez power

It definitely happens to all of us. I have 910 hours on Mercy, so I know her kit and hitbox in and out and have been GM since S4 until I stopped playing comp in S11.

I love the idea because it gives Mercy players variation in how they want to use Valk. Should they engage with it or try to get a risky res since no slow down can enable it a bit?

1 Like

I think if the slowness limit is dropped in valk they may need to up the radius just a bit as well

True, any healing is cool.

But if you are at 30hp left, would you rather have a Mercy get to you, and take 3.4 seconds to get you back to full health (assuming you are a 200hp hero)… or would you rather have an Ana drop a Bionade on you, then fire a single shot, all in less than a second?

Or a moira, who points her ball at you, then sprays you with piss, and you’re back to full health in a little over 1 second?

Mercy absolutely sucks at actually healing and has no “saving capability” when a teammate is at low health.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind if overheal is only applied to damage and support heroes. Tanks already have enough health and they can get enough heals.

1 Like

Why else would they have to nerf her 60 hps which was considered fine before the rework by basically everyone (including the devs) if not to counterbalance the rest of her kit? And there wasn’t much on her kit to counterbalance other than rez and valkyrie

1 Like

I have my crouch bound only my mouse, so I can spam around in a lot of frantic motions while relatively staying in the same spot, making me extremely hard to hit, since crouch lowers Mercy in Valk. I think that’s why I never had a problem with it.

In the games where I am not the support, which is rare, I’ll take whatever healing I can get, whenever I can get it.

If I am at 30, I prefer the guaranteed healing over the healing that can miss or be unavailable due to other limitations

Healers are not lining up to take care of me and me alone

Ana and Moira have their own issues and limitations that are not mentioned in the optimal circumstances mentioned in the statement above

She gained AoE healing in a fast charging ult. Res isn’t the only thing that changed. :confused: a mixture of both of these changes in her rework could’ve warranted a problem with her innately have 60 HPS.

If I am reading this correctly - and please correct me if I am not - this statement indicates that a) an assumption is being made about why mercy’s healing was nerfed, and also b) it couldnt possibly be any other reason whatsoever?

Well yeah it’s an assumption because I’m pretty sure the devs haven’t really talked about why her healing was nerfed themselves. But I don’t really see how there could be any reason other than rez or valk being too strong and too hard to balance on their own when nothing else about mercy really got changed that much

Increased survivability, increased consistency, AoE healing, and increased reliability all arose due to the rework.

If it were my guess, I would say Valkyrie is the cause behind her healing nerf due to it increasing her healing consistency AND making it AoE. Not res. It became a little too much and needed to be toned down to compensate.

Remember, Mercy isn’t healing for 2s or longer per res (depending on where the target died). I average 8 resses per match. That’s nearly 20 seconds per match of not healing while ressing, which contradicts that her healing nerf is a direct correlation with res, as res stops her from healing.

You answer like a politician.
In a suboptimal situation, of course you’ll pick any healing you can get, even if it’s Soldier’s fricken heal pod. It’s like saying the sky is blue and water is wet.

Mercy may not be available either but Ana or Moira is. The answer is pretty obvious then too.
The question is in an ideal situation where both Mercy and an Ana/Moira are fully available, and you need to pick one.

2 Likes

There is no need to make any assumptions here, as the devs stated why they nerfed her healing from 60HPs/s to 50HPs/s, and rez wasnt mentioned in the statement that explained their reasons for doing so

If she goes ‘damage’ then there’s an increased risk teammates will report you falsely, whether effective or not, simply because she wasn’t healing her teammates at the time.

Great mobility, well I can’t argue with that one.

Great utility? Just damage boosting a teammate all day isn’t my idea of fun nor does it actually make my brain make decisions.

Able to resurrect the dead, yes, at the cost of relying on your teammates to protect you and not being able to play for two seconds (you can’t even heal or use the pistol at the same time). It’s not even an earned ability.

Good healing, I thought I recently saw some posts on this forum somewhere highlighting that Moira and/or Ana were outhealing her? Maybe they were wrong, I haven’t checked Overbuff.

Flying, well yeah it’s great for escaping but I should be trying to help my teammates, not use it for when someone tries to land an ultimate ability on me :laughing:.

Ultimately, forgive the pun, she needs to be reworked again to some degree. Resurrect as a standard unearned ability not only impedes her flow in a fast paced match but also sucks potential power from other parts of her kit. Valkyrie feels diluted, and while I could go Battle Mercy which probably provides more potential effectiveness with risk and reward unfortunately I have the added risk that teammates will rage if they die even if I did something useful.

I can’t actually recall the last time I was ‘on fire’ either, when I last played.

2 Likes

The manner in which I reply to posts isn’t really topical, and I am not sure why it needs to be mentioned unless the mention is intended as a personal attack

I pick the guarenteed healing