Do you remember Kaplan saying 'at least 1 hero before OW2'?

While I agree, to an extent, that the tank role in an FPS feels awkward, I don’t know any other way to see it.

Blizzard used that nomenclature ‘tank, dmg, support’ which is a direct relation to RPG. We, as gamers, are used to tanks filling the role as protector.

Making tanks peform more like dps will relegate the damage role to a ‘just play whatever’.

… I like Doomfist. Sometimes, you just want a little Street Fighter in your Overwatch! Two great tastes that taste great together.

Seriously. Fire up some Street Fighter II tunes and rock on with Doomfist. You’ll have a lot of fun. Super Street Fighter II Turbo Arcade Music - Ryu Stage - CPS2 - YouTube

1 Like

I mean, there’s plenty of examples of “Heavies” in other FPS games. Which is analogous of our current offtanks.

And also of there’s less pressure on DPS to play meta, that’s not necessarily such a bad thing. However the higher the ELO goes, any advantage is going to matter.

But it might push the average ELO of Tank players up a bit. But tbh, there’s an extreme shortage of Tank players at higher ranks, so that’s not such a bad thing.

I can accept if the tank role was modified to be a beefier dps, or ‘heavies’, but the names would have to change.

We can’t call them tanks anymore.

I’d be ok if they radically switched up OW roles though. Remove the concept of tanking, and have ‘heavy dps’ ‘light dps’ and ‘support dps’.

Heavy dps are the slower dmg dealers that don’t have hypermobile abilities, but a lot of protecting abilities that can peel and save teammates.

Light dps are the faster hyper mobile dmg dealers that can’t save teammates, but mostly focus on deleting enemies.

and support dps, well function currently.

I forgot he did that. :sob::joy:

The way I see it

1. Equal firepower for offtanks and barrier tanks.
  2. Less survival for barrier tanks when they aren’t using their barriers. Especially at close range.
  3. Stronger barriers (Which can be bypassed by getting into close range)
  4. (Optional) Decrease the cooldowns for OffTank peeling abilities.

I can’t say I agree, but I do understand what you mean.

I do think

these changes will make Barrier tanks too binary to balance.

Tbh, without some extensive gimmick, the only way I see a variety of strong SingleBarrier choices, without DoubleBarrier being meta. Is if DoubleBarrier is weak at close range.
Since it’s near untouchable at medium/long ranges.

Also by having a difference in close range survival of offtanks and main tanks. It ensures the usage of offtanks, and makes DoubleOffTank less of a throw comp.

Got a lot more detail on what I had in mind, if you’re interested.

[✅] Expanded DoubleBarrier fixes

I mean Jeff Kaplan doesn’t really have a clue what’s going on so I wouldn’t really take what he says too seriously. I have yet to see him say something insightful or intelligent related to this game. Kind of the problem with choosing a lead dev with zero background in competitive fps games to make the calls and is the reason balance is in such an awful state currently.

Hopefully one of those new heroes is a reworked Symmetra… lol

Genji
Shuriken

• General: Damage increased from 28 to 30
  • Secondary Fire: Spread reduced from 12 to 9

Deflect

• Duration increased from 1.5 to 2 seconds
  • Can now be cancelled manually

It wasn’t a tweet, it was an interview from a Thai gaming website that was posted on 15 Nov 2017.

You’d be on your own.

Jeff confirmed Echo was the final hero for this year.

This would mean double barrier will shut down any deathball composition hard, but dive composition would be practically throwing. gimmicks have clear weaknesses, which is what makes them a gimmick. and dive compositions are the perfect solution due to mobility.

I have tangent question for you Greyfalcon.

Do you think, in the current meta, double shield functions more deathball or bunker?

I’m pretty sure Kaplan said Echo was the last hero before OW2 in an interview ““We know how much people love new heroes. We’re making new heroes for Overwatch 2. There is development happening, but we don’t want people’s expectations in the wrong place ⁠— for now, we will not be getting another Overwatch hero,” Blizzard’s vice president confirmed. "

Renaud Galand (a lead character artist) said “the dev team “wanted to release another hero before OW2,” but now it looks like it “probably won’t happen.””

From what I understand they want to push out the sequel as soon as possible and making a new hero would delay it. But who knows maybe they’ll give another hero regardless who knows.

It would be cool to get a new hero out of the blue, but the only way I see this happening is if something severely delays OW2. Echo was launched only 3 months ago and even at the original pace of 3 heroes/year it would still be 1 month faster than that. The recent pace put Echo at released 8 months after Sigma.

they’ll only do it if OW2 is delayed more than they expect, because it’s content that could have gone into OW2

like Ruby Sanctum in WOLTK… they’ll only do it if they really have to

seems like longer because of covid.

sigh…

i guess it’ll never happen.

Do you want another brig/sigma? When they were released they were broken and broke the game, then they were nerfed to the ground and the were forgotten