Dive Into the Overwatch Summer Games With Concept Artists

Dive Into the Overwatch Summer Games With Concept Artists

We caught up with concept artists Kejun Wang and Daryl Tan, the minds behind Feskarn Brigitte and Lifeguard Pharah, to discuss their design processes and how they came up with two of this year’s hot new Overwatch Summer Games skins.

View Full Article

20 Likes

Really great job on the Pharah skin once again,

I’m never taking it off for the rest of my life

13 Likes

Concepts yeah, but imagine how hard it is for the modelers to really bring that into 3d, all the shapes…

6 Likes

ty for the insight…i love these threads

As someone who does it for a living, it’s really fun for the most part :>

4 Likes

I love the new skins, and I can’t wait until I can get at least the Brigitte skin this season. Pharah’s is so imaginative and even though I don’t play her much, I want it too. I have noticed that Pharah still sounds like she has boots on when she’s using that skin when I watch streamers play her. I know D.Va has a barefoot sound in her Waverunner skin and think Pharah should have the same. It’s a tiny detail, but one that will make the skin even better. Thank you so much for your hard work on my favorite game!

8 Likes

They’re finally paying attention to the real problems; thank God.

1 Like

Pharah got some pretty nice abs tho

4 Likes

I’m trying to learn 3D modeling and oh my I Didn’t know what I was getting myself into

3 Likes

Modeling is fun indeed, but some shapes drive me crazy.

It’s a fascinating world , but full of challenges and require a lot of patience.

3 Likes

for ow2 please redesign phara. her body proportions are all wrong bc of the armor so some of her skins are ruined by the crazy long arms and big hands.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say - and Hexxcast beat me to it(I’m delighted I’m not the only one seeing the flaws) Lifeguard’s pretty sweet, but it and some other skins definitely have not been made without some corner cutting.
We all understand that armor modifies Pharah’s external dimensions, but underneath, which is what this skin must be, her arms are probably not supposed to that dadgum long. And her palms are giant, flat squares. Clearly the skins are simply modifications of, so to say, texturing, and not model itself, but there definitely should be some geometry modifications for a skin like that.
Now I can easily imagine a counter point of “it’s more work to modify geometry and then figure out what the hitboxes should be” and all other practical realities of more intricate skin modification, but you either do a thing right, or don’t do it at all.
Another consideration is that Overwatch’s proportions are wacky enough as is, and that’s true, every female’s legs are super long, but never arms. Never the arms.
Pharah’s not the tallest lady in the game and her arms are longer than most human characters probably. Not even proportionally speaking.

In the past I wanted to do concept art for Blizzard (and game design, but different topic.) Aside from never really getting good enough, I always saw character concept artists needing 3D skills.

After trying maya/blender a bit, not only was it a big learning curve, I just didn’t enjoy it. Making new things in a timely manner myself was what I wanted to do.

That said, I’m sure there are people who do 3D who prefer it. Can’t say for sure, but I’d bet on it. So yeah, I have immense respect for the grinders with enough mental fortitude to create other peoples’ designs in 3D.

A job is a job though, and perhaps I’m just selfish in wanting to make things myself.

Who knows.

they just need to separate her armor design from her body more so there are more options for skins. currently her armor is her body so not much scope for skins beyond what has already been done.

1 Like

How about you reward those two with paid trip to Bahamas instead of minimum wage?

2 Likes

I see this and is really scary
But just seeing videos of what could be done keeps me motivated and excited to learn more

1 Like

Well, good luck on it !
I’m myself creating an OW inspired character in 3D. A little kinda hard, having to do the concept part in 3D too (I’m really not that good at drawing.)

It’ feels really cool to finish a character in 3D .( I finished one while ago ),

Keep on grinding ! Making 3D art is awesome :wink:

2 Likes

I really love this kind of behind the scenes content. I thoroughly enjoyed the official artbook as well.

I wish they’d do a video on every skin where the artists get a chance to present their work and explain their reasoning behind some of the little details that make Overwatch’s visual style so unique.

great work devs - don’t let the the forums bring you down :smiley:

1 Like

instantly bought the brig skin. No regrets

You are finally right :fire: