Disssapearing Projectiles on Death

I don’t know if this bugs anybody else, but I find it incredibly annoying. Why do some projectiles, when fired seconds before death, disappear mid flight? I have seen my rockets disappear moments before hitting the enemy when playing 76. Is it something with the game engine/server/etc? Info about this would be much appreciated.

3 Likes

Since the game prefers the shooter it’s possible on their screen they killed you before that projectile was fired.

But I have seen this happen in many other online games besides OW. CoD4 in 2007 did the same thing with RPG shots. RPG’s would disappear mid flight if you died.

It’s just how they made the game, though it is illogical/immersion breaking and bothers me as well. This problem was made more apparent when they reworked how ultimate’s are shut down

This.

Let’s use Mei’s ultimate as an example.

• It has a 0.5 second cast animation. In this time can Mei lose it if she is stunned or killed.
  • It has a 1.0 second travel time. I’m this time can it be absorbed by Dva and deflected by Genji.
  • It has a 5.0 active time. In this time can you get frozen.

Because of Favor-the-shooter can the 0.5 seconds cast time easily has been increased to 0.7 or 0.8 seconds cast time.
This is why you see it disappear after you threw it. The enemy didn’t saw it getting thrown yet.

2 Likes

This is pretty unfair on some ultimates though.
Tracer’s pulse bomb being the most noticeable. Sombra’s too, but very rarely since it has a very small window.

I’ve had this happen to me a lot as well when playing Pharah.
I have had so many instances of dying and watching my final shot disappear moments before killing my target, it can be really disheartening.

To be honest that happens in a lot of shooters no just Overwatch. It’s frustrating to be sure.