Disconnecting from Competitive

Please for the love of god why does competitive suspend and punish players for disconnecting from the game. I am literally suspended for hours because my internet reboots at random times and I’m losing more SR than actually gaining. I just don’t understand why we have amazing technological advancements and yet a game doesn’t have the brainpower to tell if a player DC or leaves the game willingly. If anything a competitive game should not end if somebody leaves or disconnects at the begging and should actually give a chance to the person to join back. otherwise, the person is suspended and loses SR and doesn’t even get the chance to play the game because the competitive game quits so early. Some people may say “oh just get better internet” well I shouldn’t have to get better internet when I already have decent internet, but because of reboots or just Disconnects I am punished for it and sometimes don’t even get the chance to join back before the begging of comp game starts. Please tell me I’m not the only person experiencing this.

1 Like

why? because people can just press a button that turns off their wifi. Overwatch can’t detect that. It’s privacy.

6 Likes

This topic again, I’ve read this type of thing more often than complaints about smurfs and a faulty matchmaker, you get suspended when you disconnect because you leave 5 other players at a disadvantage, don’t wanna get punished for disconnecting? Fix your internet. I’ve disconnected less that 7 times in the 4+ years I’ve been playing, it’s a you problem, and it’s causing problems for other players as well.

6 Likes

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in yellow text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please start a new topic in the Technical Support forum saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided.

4 Likes

You are ruining the game for 5 teammates, it is well deserved =]

3 Likes

I used to have problems with my internet too. Rarely got any suspension though. Maybe It’s because I tried to get back as soon as possible. The only feedback I got is how annoying it can be to get back in after a disconnect. You type your password, try to log in, fail, rinse and repeat. This could definitely be easier.

Even if I’ve gotten suspended for it I’m not blaming the game. It is unfair for all my teammates to face the enemy with one less player.

1 Like

I lost 150 SR this weekend due to leavers. So ask me, why should I feel bad for people disconnecting when it’s literally making this game unfun.

I don’t feel bad for leavers at all, but those who rarely disconnect without meaning to do so, I feel bad for them, it’s not like they wanted to leave, but the ones who actually leave, they deserve every ban they receive.

1 Like

Well there is nothing much Blizzard can do about that. Someone could just unplug thier Ethernet cable and say “Oh wow, I lost internet!”.

1 Like

I agree, but I do feel bad for the people that didn’t mean to leave the game, they normally return but are sometimes still penalized, they take it and support the team, leavers on the other hand, intentionally abandon the match and never return. There is a difference, and unfortunately nobody can tell the difference.

1 Like

you won’t stay out of comp by your own accord, so the system is working as designed to keep you out.

edited to avoid melting snowflakes

1 Like

That sounds more like a personal problem