Director’s Take: Our Development Values, Part 1

Even with the new self-healing?

Even more so.

Tanks that get all the healing, plus can heal themselves… the sustain would be insane.

That passive will 100% need healing numbers from supports to be reduced. Unless, it takes a very long time out of combat to start very slowly self healing.

Our Development Values, Part 2

Clicking the link only leads you to 404: Not found page.

8 Likes

Meh the only other thing they mention is lessening spikes in dmg…no mention of decreasing in combat healing

One could perhaps lead to the other but I have little faith of that actually happening….in the mean time all I’m seeing based in this change is still too much sustain in and (now) out of combat

Furthermore how does this help promote team play as they were saying…:.if anything it encourages more individual play now that you can self heal…

1 Like

Any plans to address your trash matching?

7 Likes

can’t wait for self healing flying heroes :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: SUCH fun

5 Likes

Yeah they’re all problems. Mercy mains have no right to complain when Illari and Zen are in the dumpster rn.

2 Likes

What do you mean trash? It is working perfectly if you ask the devs.

1 Like

I am cautiously optimistic.

Please don’t fumble this lol

1 Like

Lul

That’s all, just lul.

3 Likes

I dunno if giving tanks and dps a watered down support passive would make sense. It’ll either be too weak for it to be effective, or make the support passive for themselves irrelevant. I believe support passive was given because they have 1 person who can heal them, whereas others have 2 persons that can heal them. I think what would make more sense would be either:

1. Allow tanks and DPS to “pick up” one health pack. And allow them to use it for a burst heal. Health packs would be the same as where they are, and additional can be added. If Tanks and DPS are going “solo” and diving, at least they have some level of get out of jail free card. If they stick with the team, support can sustain them.

2. Give everyone the modified support passive, including the support (meaning a nerf for supports), but then give supports a different passive.

A potential passive that I think would work well with supports (remember, supports NOT healers) is give them a healing and damage boost above their baseline that gets consumed as they either heal or damage, encouraging them to switch between both options. So for example, if you are Ana, you do 70 damage or healing with your primary fire. Let’s say you are healing someone, you get “damage charges” so when you do attack an enemy they will instead take 80 damage until it decays. If you are damaging enemies, your healing gets boosted to say 80 heals when you switch back to healing and which will decay, but start boosting your damage.

This would give such a HIGH ceiling for all supports. Imagine an Ana that is focusing on heals, but then gets backlined by a Tracer, she has the temporary damage boost to deal with her more quickly.

3 Likes

Of course they do cause their code is flawless and never has any bugs when they close their eyes it can feel like you’re playing hello kitty.

3 Likes

Is this for both “quickplay” modes or just one of them?

“Soft exploits” to the game that should be delt with is 2 major issues.

Social Exploit: People that are spectating matches should no longer be allowed to communicate with anyone on the team during the match. They should not be allowed to join a match in progress, and they should only be able to see the person that they are spectating (and it should be limited to only ONE person).

Enemy health bars: it should be settup as a consideration to remove enemy health bars. People can use targeting scripts to read enemy health bar location, files.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/Q3G1AGAqd_4?si=N7iSZbJhLBvT3smN

Around 13:43 Alec mentions addressing burst damage and the reliance on burst healing. Then saying they wanted to “soften how powerful those could be”

So I’m assuming we’ll see changes to both in some way. How big? Who knows.

1 Like
1 Like

But we’re talking about other features that will make it easier for players to work together as a team. Party Frames is one of these - these are the on-screen player health indicators that we use for our PvE events. Other possible features such as backfill improvements, changes to our scoreboard, and ways to mitigate spawn camping also align with this. To show the extent of our discussions, even an ally-only mini-map feature was discussed. Some of these systems are under discussion and some are in development. I don’t think a mini-map has a high likelihood of shipping, but I do think that Party Frames are likely.

:partying_face: :beers::partying_face:

I’ve wanted party frames in PvP for, ooo, around seven years now. Thanks, devs.

3 Likes

Does this mean I get to play dps Moira even more? :star_struck:

Haha silly goose. You think they’ll actually nerf supports :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

im kinda worried about this really, changing the game so much will create new problems. especially with balance, spawning teammates together and such it seems they want a goats meta again or heroes with high sustain so nothing dies lol…

when developers really listen to the playerbase then thats when i worry, not these devs but the same thing happened to world of warcraft. so watered down its a shell of its former self… just because of listening to the playerbase

if they want a more care bear atmosphere then they should have sticked with pve and phased out the pvp. people lose and lose badly, stomps happen and there are better players that outperform other players. no need to nerf all this, its a “competitive” game and your feelings will get hurt…heh

3 Likes

Already had finished my weekly challenges before the quicker play introduction but I don’t feel motivated enough to try it out, like there is no reward involved in playing your new gimmick, so I’m just not going to bother getting back into the game until next reset. Good luck with your data gathering.

1 Like

burning down everything that makes Overwatch - Overwatch. Very cool. No niche game play, just slight variations of CoDs and other games

17 Likes