Did they just confirm Gency in that Tweet?

Okay, this is quite funny to me. In the official Tweet from @PlayOverwatch announcing Jeff’s departure from the team, they say that he was the “Genji to our Mercy” which is literally the weirdest time ever to say something like this.

They could’ve used literally any other phrase to describe the love that the team has for Jeff, and they, instead, confirm one of the most popular ships in the Overwatch community? I find it so strange, they say it as if it’s basic knowledge that these two are together.

I also feel that it’s a little insensitive to confirm their relationship during a Tweet about how sad it is that Jeff is leaving, but go off, OW Twitter person, I guess?

4 Likes

Measure twice, cut once

7 Likes

The Genji Mercy relationship has already been a thing for years :smile:

20 Likes

Genji + Mercy been a thing since beginning of OW. :skull: :raised_hand:

There embracing it.

14 Likes

Have I been living under a rock? I don’t remember them actually being as vocal about it outside the game as this haha

5 Likes

Missed opportunity. They could say he was nanoboost to their dragon blade.

9 Likes

The Mech to my baby D.Va :sob: :sob:

7 Likes

The Gravity to my sigma :sob:

5 Likes

stop these are making me cry omg

1 Like

the cc to our reinhardt

25 Likes

Maybe. They’ve never actually said “Yes they’re dating” but like, there have been a lot of things alluding to it.

3 Likes

The falloff to our Tracer

oh

8 Likes

Maybe they were referring to the I need healing meme that Genji has become.

3 Likes

Knew it was only a matter of time before this topic was made…

Genji/Mercy has been a thing, but more than likely, the tweet was referring specifically to how she saved Genji and had a big part in making him the man he is in the present day.

6 Likes

Could’ve been. But it would make way more sense, if talking about in-game stuff to say Pharah and Mercy since they have much more in-game synergy

1 Like

The Fall-Off to our Mccree :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Uh oh, this is going to rile up the community. Suddenly confirming a character is straight? Pandering much?

Oh wait no, nobody cares. How strange

3 Likes

It’s a spoiler

Means mercy genji will break up in ow2.

1 Like

If this was meant to be a ship confirmation, it would imply that Jeff is their lover the same way Genji is Mercy’s lover. Which is obvious nonsense.

Genji and Mercy are currently only confirmed as having a very deep friendship. There are hints it could be something more but nothing explicit. And I don’t think this statement is meant to imply anything more than what is already known.

With that context, it would imply that sometimes they may have butted heads but they were the very best of friends. Which seems a much more appropriate link for that tweet.

4 Likes

Not according to BlizzConline, they even mentioned their relationship. I kinda thought after Chu left that they’d steer away from the ship, but seems like they’re going full steam ahead with it

1 Like