Did footstep audio range change?

They changed or broke it.
All dps heroes used to have very loud footsteps. Now, you cant hear most of them

2 Likes

I can casually hear the enemy Sombra firing blindly from the defense spawn of Gibraltr when she’s under the bridge, but I can’t hear pharah flying or Reaper walking behind me.

1 Like

It’s been a problem for almost 2 years now and reported multiple times as a bug but they haven’t done anything about it.

1 Like

Gonna reiterate here- I had a McCree walk up on me yesterday, no sound at all of those clunky boots … Blizzard fix the sound!

1 Like

Some heroes are a lot louder than others. I can hear Mccree through 2 walls and 5 enemy players. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a Zarya in my life.

Take a good headset
Activate Dolby atmos in the audio options
Problem solve ;D

Have a good headset and have the dolby option enabled ( never even played with that turned off) . Still have that issue.

1 Like

Put your music on off then, because I can hear everything and I dont have an op stuff

Never played with music on since release.

1 Like

It has to be broken in some way, literally almost never hear flankers anymore, even a roadhog I normally don’t hear until I’m dead. Then I almost always watch the kill cam to see if maybe they were crouched and they’re usually not. All of my sound settings in windows are correct, I have Dolby enabled in game, everything is updated. I’m glad to know I’m not the only person experiencing this.

1 Like

This thread was opened in october, last comment on november. We have end January 2020, still broken. Could you fix this pls?

1 Like

Same been haven that problem with reaper and hanzo and moira I was playing widowmaker and the hanzo was just flanking behind taken me out 3 times I even put a widow mine out but I didnt hear him come at all. Moira is far to quiet I’m getting damages by her but I cant hear that I’m getting damaged. And reaper is literally silent

1 Like

its worse than you think!

the problem has been around as early as late spring/early summer 2016, and only spread and got worse since then. there’s even been patch notes claiming the issue is resolved a few times (most notably last october they said they fixed it by making the sounds louder, buuuut… the problem isnt the volume its that the sounds don’t play in the first place).

1 Like

Same, I used to never get snuck up on because I’m really hyper aware of sounds and footsteps, I could even tell if it was my Reaper or Widow vs. an enemy reaper or widow just based on the volume of the sound and how far away / direction it was.

Lately I have been getting snuck up on my McCrees, Reapers, Roadhogs, everyone it seems like; and I’m just… Suddenly dead. No jingle jangles, no footsteps, nothing. But then other times I -can- hear them, and I manage to catch them, but only if it’s down an avenue rather than around a corner. From what I’ve noticed it seems to really just be that sound doesn’t travel around corners in the same way anymore.

3 Likes

and the ultimates sounds are really bugged too.

1 Like

I was feeling like just all the explosion sounds got keyed up because it feels like everything just super overlaps now? Like it’s so much harder to tell what’s going on whereas before I used sound cues regularly to know what was going on in a match.

1 Like

i’ve noticed if someone is coming from directly behind me, the sounds will not play. this also includes some ults like mccree’s, if he is directly behind me, the sound just isn’t there either.

The other day I heard just a widowmaker around the corner so I went to get her because it was in that pre-setup phase of the battle and I knew her team was regrouping; they’d swapped to a lucio and I ran into a side room hearing ONLY widow heels, only to be greeted by Lucio, Mercy, Roadhog, -and- Widow. All moving actively in the room, too, not like, quietly standing or waiting, Roadhog was MOVING. ugh.

2 Likes

ah, i’ve done similar to that. I heard a mercy and was hunting her, only to run straight into hog, rein, and mccree all hopping about with her. it’s so frustrating, especially when some of the people i play with don’t have the audio bug (and others yet do) so I’ll get yelled at by that one friend that doesn’t suffer the bug cause they don’t get that there IS a bug :grimacing:

Blizzard bad sound settings really got nothing to do with the settings or headset you guys are using.

It’s been reported since 2017 and nothing has been done. They don’t intend to fix broken footsteps.

Footstep sounds are JUST FINE before summer 2017, then they broke something.

Some footsteps will remain audible, like mercy and widow heels, widow hookshot, tracer blinks and the likes… but anything with low bass thumps like mccree, roadhog, reaper footsteps or pharah jets, those are completely silent.

You can hear a zenyatta charge a volley from mile away, but god forbid you’d be able to hear that reaper stomping behind you and oneshotting you on the back of your head. Or better, roadhog killing your friend and standing 1 meter away from you, but not hearing a thing because there’s a small fight going on below you.

1 Like