"Devs dont do anything"

Then why HIRE someone who’s job is to write lore, only to have him not write lore?

Thats not an excuse for slow updates, low content and lack of communication. At least tell us what you’re testing (unless of course it has to do with a big feature or new character)

Yes but overwatch updates even little ones like very small number changes take MONTHS for us to even hear the devs talk about.

They don’t, but right now they’re WAY slower than that.

Must be pretty large paragraphs.

And those paragraphs must also include OW2’s story too, right? (Not to mention all the stories from OW’s past that haven’t been revealed to us yet)

Certainly not only to sit down and write lore. He’s not just a story writer, he’s a lead story writer. That brings a lot of extra responsibilities.

And why haven’t they? it’s been 5 years people have been BEGGING for ANY lore and yet Blizzard who is apparently just sitting on tons of unreleased stories is just withholding information that would get them tons of attention and money (their favorite thing) I can understand not releasing OW 2’s story and keeping certain things hidden like Reapers family but one of the biggest events (The Swiss Incident) Is still a secret 5 years into the games life.

He Writes:
In-game dialogue (Most heroes have a ton of datelined unfinished dialogue)
Hero backstories (they develop heroes one at a time so it’s not like he was drowning in assignments for hero backstories.)
Oversees writing on comics (which there are barely any comics to oversee)
and works with the rest of the writing team to write the lore of the entire OW universe (something Blizzard either refuses to release or barely had him do).

He did the first two, quite well clearly OW has a very creative writing team that was lea by a very good and talented man, but either they wasted that talent by not releasing any of his lore or he simply didn’t write much.

No, I just really dont care about it on an internet forum. Its not even that much text, keeping your concentration up for that long shouldnt be a problem for most people here.

Thats why they introduced 2-2-2 right? Thats why they introduced hero pools right? That why they introduced Map pools right? Yes, Im sure that they introduced 3 of the biggest changes in OW history just for the money.

I really dont know that, I honestly just didnt look that much into the Lore section of the game, but were a bit far away from the topic I feel like.

Thats literally what they are doing the last couple of months, but apparently people still dont notice.

Tell me how long it needed for them to introduce 1-3-2, if you stick your nose into a variety of different games, players will complain about the same thing for every game. Changes in OW are big, like really big and that size must be taken into consideration.

We’re not far from the topic, the topic was that the devs do nothing, Chu was part of the dev team so this is completely on topic.

It’s not that people don’t “notice” theres nothing TO notice because they don’t tell us anything or even HINT. The only way we get insight is in one of Kaplans random monthly forum replies or by going into the game files and snooping.

1-3-2 was only needed because they ignored the communities requests for simple number changes that could’ve been implemented in a month. They keep taking the hard road when the community is asking for much simpler MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE changes.

Nice to see you havent understood the point. All so you can avoid the bare minimum amount of effort. Is this why you sympathize so strongly with the Dev team?

You listed two changes that the community didnt ask for and have been almost universally reviled as though they were a good thing lmfao.

Oh, and while role queue was requested by a portion of players, it was also a highly polarizing change that drove players from the game.

Meanwhile, balance is still a total mess with patches coming monthly (if we’re lucky). Power creep has run rampant. Queue times are through the roof (even though everyones supposedly staying home with nothing to do). Events are recycled because this game is on life support, while the devs focus on something monetizable.

But yeah, they’re doing great.

2 Likes

Their whole competitive scene is dying and they introduce a communication wheel update.

They’re trying, aren’t they? They’re giving us the crap that could’ve gone with OW2 instead of giving us the updates that the game needs or else it dies. And those important updates… we know nothing about them. They are very likely to not come with OW2, and then what?

This game is marketed as a competitive game, and if the competitive scene is dying, well, one could say goodbye to the game as a whole, too.

Lost me here, not reading the rest.

Literally every change ever made to the game is questionable.

Not everyone agrees on the direction the game should go in and way too many people here think getting 20 likes on a forum post is anywhere near indicative of what the community wants or what’s best for the balance of the game. If the devs listened to the forums, the supports would have complete control over any given match and games would be sustain fests that go on forever.

I btw just fixed my text for you, since you apparently dont have any other arguments.

So youre saying the bare minimum amount of effort youd have to use to actually read the text?

A lot of people asked for hero bans, a lot of people asked for some way of avoiding Paris and Horizon, that is just simply not true.

I agree with this part except for the monetizable part, which is just kinda ridiculous. But it seems that you still didnt understand my point, so you’re now free to read my text again, it should be easier now.

With the amount of money Google paid Blizzard to get Overwatch League on YouTube the competitive scene is going to be around for years to come.

1 Like

well… not long time ago it was a sustain fest paired with shield. I identify myself as a Doomfist main and i can barely understand what those “nerfs” are doing instead of dumping him into the F tier. There were so easy ways to make him less oppressive but activision choose the route that dump him, besides all his bugs. They shouldnt listen to Forums for sure, but they should get a vision from player perspectives that arent pro aswell.

.-. He means when there is a issue they shoild adress the know it exists and ARE working on a fix

Not if there are no players to participate in it. We’re already seeing players just burn out.

I’d like to think that Chu wrote stacks and stacks of pages of lore, and daddy Jeff thought it was so good that he pinned it to the fridge and forgot to give it to us.

But seriously. It’s hard to get attached to the allegidly oh so important lore when they never actually give it to us. Like, apparently, I’ve been told, the OW universe and it’s story are complicated and there’s so much to share. Uhh… okay? Where is it then?

And honestly? What’s there already… isn’t that good. The dialog is attrocious. It’s focused on delivering cool one liners and not much else.

2 Likes

The issue i have with the devs is there communication is horrid.

Unlike most people, i come from rainbow six siege so im use to the devs pandering to the 0.1% (pros) .

I just hate when the devs dont say “hey community we know this issue exists and are working diligently to fix it as soon as possible”

We couldn’t get the story of Retribution before Moira was revealed.
We couldn’t get Liao’s story before Echo was revealed.
We couldn’t get the ‘What you left behind’ story before Baptiste was revealed (Obviously)

Point being they can only reveal so much to us, or else they risk ruining the surprise. They have a specific way they want to tell the story, and it takes time.

Here are the responsibilities listed under “Narrative Designer” on the Blizzard careers page: :+1:

• Write and iterate on compelling dialogue for heroes and missions.
  • Help to maintain the vision of the Overwatch universe.
  • Collaborate with designers and engineers to deliver on a narrative vision.
  • Write hero voice lines that quickly and concisely convey the gameplay of the moment.
  • Create a mission structure that identifies narrative beats and plot lines to support the story.
  • Work with Tools teams to improve writing workflows and processes.
  • Successfully guide VO studio sessions.
  • Have a passion for interactive storytelling.

You’ll probably notice the majority of that stuff can’t be obviously seen by the public.

This… makes you sound incredibly delusional :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Of course players are burning out with the current situation, playing in this kind of competitive environment is just really stressful. The main reason why the competitive scene isnt getting that much attention is because its just not that attractive for casual viewers, because its a team focused game. It just doesnt seem that cool to watch for the most part, I used to think that it was because of little variety in the hero cast and the state of the game, but its obviously not that when you look at it now. Also T2 could get some more love.

Yeah, I can’t imagine anyone talking like the OW characters do, especially the way they randomly bust into quips in their native languages, it’s very awkward. And the dialogue between characters is like 80% things we already know, 15% hints to more story and 5% cringe pop culture references.

And Blizzard is doing nothing about it. It’s not just pro players who are leaving, the players who focus on competitive are leaving, too. I’m sure QP players will be left behind without any impact by this as they don’t care about anything, even long queue times.

I totally agree with you. Yes, the game isn’t in a perfect state at all, but compared to 1-2 years ago it’s way better.
Many quality of life changes since then and buffs and nerfs way more focused on issues.
I just don’t undertsand why people say they ‘‘don’t communicate’’ while we got 4 devs update in the last 3 months.
Of course they can’t change everything in one day or one week, role queue needed to be tested for a long time, buffs and nerfs can’t be done on the spot.

Don’t forget that this game is does not have paid update or something like that, I paid 20 euros 3 years ago and still play freely.

Did you just said that Experimental is not existant ?
Nearly every update in the last 2-3 months has been put on Experimental and those who weren’t in Experiment were just too big (Echo or Com Wheel)

Talking about the past is kinda the usual thing to do with the lore.
You want present action ? Just wait for OW2, it’s litteraly one of the game’s role.

Oh boy did you play ranked at all in Overwatch ? 5dps 1tank was just horrible and I’m grateful they put 2-2-2
You’re not happy with 2-2-2 well maybe if had listened to devs update you would know that a free role ranked is coming in 1 month