DEVS about MERCY's role in the game

Yes. That is the point. Valkyrie as it is now just plain sucks. It’s not powerful. Having a potent ultimate is part of what makes a hero fun in Overwatch.

Ultimates should feel oppressively powerful when used successfully.

The devs don’t want to make Rez more powerful.

Why is it near impossible to come up with a “Nerf” that doesn’t involve making Rez more powerful?

Mercy doesn’t need more nerfs, and Resurrect is actually kind of weak. It was even weak as an ultimate that could bring back 5 people until Mercy got invulnerability.

Not now. But she did last patch.

And I keep seeing posts that imply it should be obvious how to do a minor-change nerf, instead of 50hps.

And then the replies either aren’t a nerf, or are a major change that involves buffing Rez.

Mercy didn’t need nerfs last patch. The other healers needed buffs. The other healers received buffs.

We did not get a chance to see the support meta with everyone except Mercy and Zen buffed and no further changes. Instead, they nerfed Mercy at the same time.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 Like

You might like this.

1 Like

The top 2% of Ana players average 11.8k.

Remember, the average healing for Mercy is 11.7k.

Blaming the discrepancy on low rank players simply isn’t valid when even the Ana’s with the best healing on record barely beat out Mercy’s overall average.

Oh she can, but there’s the condition that I talked about: she NEEDS to work with another support to survive and with the rest of the team to keep everyone alive.

The amount of buffs needed to give Mercy a weakness by comparison would be massive, and turn the game into a complete stall meta.

The amount of buffs required to make all other healers outperform Mercy (as a support, not strictly as a healer) as they do now would be massive, yes, but that is not and should never be the goal. The goal should be to put all supports on even ground, and I think they would have been without any change to Mercy in the last patch.

You may disagree, but there is no way to prove or disprove that claim without Blizzard giving us the opportunity.

I think aiming for complete variety at the highest ranks of play isn’t going to happen.

And hasn’t really ever happened.

It’s a good ideal to work toward, though, for any reasonable person on either side of the Mercy debate.

It is. But going from no variety to Ana+ Variety on second pick healer. Is a huge improvement.

And probably the best variety that’s possible at those ranks.

We went from Mercy + Variety on second pick healer to Ana + Variety on second pick healer at GM rank. Zen was a popular second, but not ubiquitous.

The only “improvement” that someone like you might see there right now is that the current flavor of the month happens to not be Mercy.

More like Mercy + Zen, plus barely anything else.

Am I missing something here?

We’re not seeing the same thing.

Zen is still second place now. He received no changes. Lucio received buffs and now gives him some pretty even competition, though.

The same way, Ana receiving buffs would have given Mercy competition without any changes to Mercy.

He’s linking old data from a prior patch that he’s been unable to give a valid date for.

Ah, I see. Would have been a little better to start out with the clarification.

If that’s the case, then he’s not wrong. Over the course of the 6 months prior to the recent nerf, that’s pretty much how GM was. There’s not really a solid date needed, it was true for so long.

I’m pretty sure Hanzo/Zarya was worse, when that was a thing.