Developer video update - Experimentation & Hero Pools

Summary

• NEW Experimental Card to play the game with different hero balance changes on the LIVE client on ALL platforms.
  • Balance changes will come far more aggressively and target the meta-game
  • Hero Pools for Competitive Play - Starting in Season 21, a limited number of heroes will be selectable each week as decided by the game (not the players). Subject to adjustments and changes.
  • Hero pools will also apply to the Overwatch League starting March 7th. Learn more here.
  • New Anti-Cheat initiatives coming in the next two patches of the game
  • Big Workshop update coming soon
  • New Career Profile quality of life improvements coming including the ability to sort Player Icons.
  • Major Career Profile overhaul coming to Overwatch 2 much later down the road
  • The ability to pin and save a specific replay is coming soon.

Facts about hero pools

• Heroes that are removed from the pool each week will be based on collected game statistics.
  • Hero pool rotations will take place weekly, but this may change if needed.
  • The Overwatch League will only remove one tank, one support, and two damage heroes from any given pool. Furthermore, no one hero can be out of the pool for two weeks in a row.
  • Overwatch League will start using hero pools on March 7th.

UPDATE!

Game Director Jeff Kaplan is answering multiple questions about Hero Pools and the upcoming updates in this thread:

32 Likes

Im glad for experimentation cards and the new balance policy.

Hero pools? Why? We have maps limited already. Games will be boring and monotonous. Ban system would be better.

Anti-cheat? I hope its going to be useful.

Interested in workshop update, QoL changes and Career Profile changes. Finally sorting icons.

2 Likes

Here we go.

First, Experimental Card. Something Iā€™ve (and probably others) thought ofā€¦ oof, a while ago. Iā€™m glad theyā€™re doing it, basically putting the PTR in the main game and rewarding. Also a great addition for consoles.

Second, aggressive balance changes targetting the meta. Oof, that sounds harsh for heroes that typically are the most versatile in their class, like D.Va or Lucio. I fear this kind of hero will get kneejerk changes often, and thatā€™s annoying.

Third, hero pools. Absolute no from me. People complained about 2-2-2 removing freedom, this DOES remove freedom. Massively. Basically hero bans, but instead of changing every game, they last for days. Terrible idea. Keep it for OWL if you want, but for ladder, thatā€™s a no-no.

As usual, bitter-sweet stuff. The first one is definitely good, the second sounds like something that will end up being poorly executed, and the third oneā€¦ Yikes.

13 Likes

Moving the PTR to the main game and actually use it for testing changes and not just for sorting out bugs is a smart move. A bit late after 4 years maybe, but better late than never.

Hero pools is an interesting idea, but i would have loved to hear how many heroes are included.

Also kind of hypocritical from Jeff as this idea also tells you what you can and cannot play just as hero bans, only difference being that its coming from the devs at random, not the enemy, but whatever.

1 Like

I too worry about how hero pools will be effective.

11 Likes

ā€œbig workshop updateā€ I really hope that means theyā€™re adding a hero editor.

2 Likes

I hope for it to be a map editorā€¦ but i know that will not happen probably until after OW2 releases :frowning:

1 Like
  • NEW Experimental Card to play the game with different hero balance changes on the LIVE client on ALL platforms.

Cool. Very late but cool.

• Balance changes will come far more aggressively and target the meta-game

Donā€™t be afraid to experiment with ideas that might seem OP. You can always balance downwards afterwards.

• Hero Pools for Competitive Play - Starting in Season 21, a limited number of heroes will be selectable each week as decided by the game (not the players). Subject to adjustments and changes.

Everything else is now inconsequentialā€¦

3 Likes

It would be great if it was somehow both but yeah a map editor probably would be after OW 2.

Thatā€™s it for me, Iā€™m tired of being limited in what to play, where to play, and now who to play. What made me love this game was the diversity of strats and comps. The whackiness. Now everything is getting streamlined.

Yay for more balance patches, too bad above will make me not want to play nearly as much. Good thing Iā€™ve really gotten into Sea of Thieves lately, hereā€™s to hoping Anthem is rebooted too.

4 Likes

As a console peasant, I appreciate a glimpse into the high life.

4 Likes

Who else is eating popcorn as we watch people whine about not being able to play their favorite hero for a week?

15 Likes

idk about hero pools. i can see it being great for DPS but its not like support and tank have deep pools to pick from.

1 Like

I donā€™t have time to watch the video, what is experimentation?

I have a summary posted.

2 Likes

And this is how half the playerbase will abandon playing competitive.

Forcing people to play certain heroes will obliterate competitive and queues.

8 Likes

I will cry in your popcorn to salt it, if you want. My precious McCree, why Blizzard, why? I HATE YOU!

1 Like

As someone who plays exclusively QP (on console), this dev update is nothing but good things for me.

6 Likes

I am not excited about hero pools and I hope they are very carefully curated. One wrong lockout combination and certain DPS become unstoppable.

1 Like

Iā€™m personally all for hero pools, but Jeff did say that theyā€™re open to cancelling it if itā€™s not working out well.

1 Like