Dev Team acceptance of 1Tricks, and no 2-2-2, strangled the game

Dev Team acceptance of 1Tricks, and no 2-2-2, strangled the game. That is. The Dev’s know it, but are so stubborn they wont accept that their ‘vision’ doesnt align with how the players actually play.

I love OWL, and OW, but I dont believe it has longevity until we get a better grasp on why the game fails for so many.

No solo queue.
No role queue.
One Tricks allowed.
5 DPS on a team allowed.

Fix it!

16 Likes

I can’t tell whether this is a crazy coincidence that you happened to post on the day Kaplan addressed this but neglected to read his comment… or you read it and massively misinterpreted what he said.

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the former.

24 Likes

They did, they gave us LFG.

10 Likes

No I read it, he’s just wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

… um… you might wanna re read what he wrote several times.

4 Likes

Well, he directly stated that they adapted the game to match how players were choosing to play (“maining” and such), even though it was very different from how the designers had expected/intended for people to play it.

So no, obviously they’re not stubborn about making people “accept their vision” for the game.

9 Likes

Why do people troll posters about how role queue isn’t needed because LFG exists.

Either…

A. Posters who suggest this haven’t tried LFG themselves to know it is half-cooked and doesn’t work well (which led to it’s huge plunge of popularity within the month it came out)

B. They are simply trolling because they think it’s funny

I mean… it should be painfully obvious to anyone who plays competitive that the game has needed significant changes for over a year now and it’s 100% true that the devs being stubborn have ruined any chance they have at obtaining player base back at this point. They need to save what they have now or… I mean I guess they COULD just keep doing nothing… I mean why not lol. If they don’t care that much about the IP other than short term gains then keep on keeping on.

6 Likes

?

He expected people to switch. They dont. Why? Because his own statements said we cannot get one tricks banned.

If they had not done that, the game would be better off.

Dev’s dont understand how people are playing, or how people are playing does not align with their vision.

They need to give up on their hubris, and fix the game by banning one tricks, and giving us 2-2-2, so they can actually balance the game.

2 Likes

The mythical 3k+ posts troll.

1 Like

As a recap for people proposing the OP didn’t read correctly… Jeff said this.

"Well, just speaking for myself here, but I expected 1 to 2 tanks and 1 to 2 supports with more variance. I also expected more hero switching. Naively, I didn’t expect “maining” and “one-tricking” to be so dominant.

We imagined a world where players would be ok with Torbjorn on defense but not playing him on attack. The maining/one-trick mindset led to us having to rework those characters to fit with how the game eventually evolved to be played. I guess what I am saying is we hoped to be able to create more highly situational characters with the thought that players would switch in situations where those characters weren’t as viable.

We like the direction things evolved and in hindsight, it seems obvious that they would evolve that way. It’s not that one direction is good or bad… they’re just different directions and we adapted to what the playerbase was doing, rather than fighting against their instincts."

Jeff admitted they failed to see how people would play the game and continue to play the game. They failed to adapt. They continue to fail to adapt is what he didn’t say because he believes things are pretty good right now which is like ignoring what he just said.

Jeff confused Jeff.

7 Likes

This is a pretty petty post. Wanting a 2-2-2 is fine, but you need to understand that the game is built around player choice and trying/testing unique or new comps. Even if it isn’t an ideal one (such as 2-2-2) it is something worth trying as it might work.
Though one-tricks are pretty bad, role queue is not the answer, trust me. Forcing players to do something they might not be used to can cause issues that make people drop in ranking and create a whole new thing. This isn’t League or Dota where bans and force roles are possible because the hero pool is just too small, and will likely never reach a point where this will be plausible.

Tldr; Players all have unique ways of enjoying the game, whether it’s really simple or silly comps. If you want force roles, six-stack. Find some friends or randos that you like, and six-stack. Much better than forcing people to throw because of a bad role pull.

1 Like

Exactly. I read it. They designed characters not intended to be used all the time, and then turned around and said ‘go ahead and use them all the time’.

That is a failure.

3 Likes

um no, it led to its huge plunge of popularity because this playerbase is filled with egomaniacs. They blame everyone else but themselves when they lose so when they finally got tools to somewhat control who’s on their team and picked the best possible candidates and STILL LOST, they decided not to use it again because it shows that its not other players’ fault. It’s their own. So they simply go back to being delusional in solo queue where they can flame their teammates on their way to bronze or whatever. :slight_smile: That’s why LFG doesn’t work. Because it shows people that they’re not as good as they think they are, and egomaniacs can’t stand that. Cheers.

6 Likes

For me, I don’t care what character they play as long as they are able to work together and play as a team.
Being able to play together as a team well is more important to me than having a 2-2-2 comp. (Which isn’t always the best comp)

One tricking isn’t against the rules because they aren’t breaking any rules. They are trying to play the game just as much as anyone else. There aren’t any rules that you can or cannot play certain heroes during certain maps/games.

1 Like

C. They are realistic.

The community begged for this tool to solve all these problems. The developers invested considerable development resources towards providing this, and the community tossed it aside because they decided quick and easy access to the game was the better path.

Things like forced 2-2-2 fly in the face of the design goals of the Overwatch team, but they built the tools that would allow you to play that way if that is what you want. The community made it’s choice.

7 Likes

It’s nice to see they finally admit they caused a lot of the core problems and didn’t do anything to fix it.

It’s not nice though to see they don’t plan on doing anything about it seemingly.

Baffling even.

3 Likes

You’re arguing that the devs are too rigid in their stance about how players “should” play the game, because they chose not to ban people for playing differently from how they “should.”

This is the exact opposite of how logic works.

3 Likes

I’m not even saying 2-2-2 is the best! I’m saying it needs to be a default framework, for them to actually BALANCE the hero’s that have been in ‘I’m a bad pick, but Jeff said I could one trick sooooo sorry!’ so that NOBODY is a terrible pick.

Unless we get some framework to balance around, Sym will forever be trash, for example.

What strangles the game isn’t those two, but balance, if balance was done better and must be done so that all heroes all able to be played viably to a degree, the game would be much better.

2 Likes

What is wrong with onetricking? If Paladins has that can’t they change OW in a way that it doesn’t require swapping (lets face it, no one likes to swap)?

I agree on the rest.

3 Likes