Delete this please..pls

so why isnt overtrack listed as well? persuit gives you post game stats and also tells you what your weaknesses were during the match so you know what to work on to help you improve as a player. persuit isnt even close to visor.

3 Likes

Thanks, this account doesn’t have image privileges yet! :+1:

It isn’t listed but they were talking about taking it down on discord.

As someone who doesn’t use cheats, it is my problem.

1 Like

The way Pursuit “reads” stats from the game is via screenshots, that it uploads to their servers for parsing and posting AFTER the game is done. It uses the exact same technology that most streaming apps use (including Twitch’s native app). It’s not touching Blizzard’s code at all.

17 Likes

May you confirm that as long as we do not have these programs running while playing the game we are ok? Or must not utilize the service? Or must we uninstall the programs entirely? I am perfectly find complying with the requirement not to use pursuit or visor but I do hope you are not scanning our systems for installed software.

1 Like

Pretty sure these applications were only advertising themselves to get people interested in the product here.

Never before have I heard of such a thing before they tried to run rampant on the forums about legalities.

Poor choice of advertisement as well as poor choice of investment.

2 Likes

TBF Pursuit is stat tracking and comparison to your next rank’s average winning stats and that’s all. Visor could definitely be seen as a cheat though.

2 Likes

Pursuit isn’t cheats. Stop clutching your pearls; it’s the same thing as getting someone to review a video you take during a match and scoring you and giving tips. It’s purely post-match information. Visor is understandably analogous to “cheats”, since it provides (albeit shaky) tips during the match, but Pursuit is entirely outside of the match.

OWL teams are using it, and they were officially approved by Blizz to do it! They sponsored it! Why can’t we have the same thing?! I want to get to Diamond, and this is giving me good tips even with what little info I gave it so far! This is dumb as rocks.

18 Likes

I’m glad Blizzard finally took an official stance. You can argue left and right about what is OK and what isn’t, but the simplest and best way is just to not allow 3rd party programs and keep everyone with the same set of tools.

7 Likes

What catches my eye is that he says their “partnership with OWL and World Cup teams”. Not Overwatch or Blizzard in general.

What likely happened is Blizzard gave approval for only pro teams to run the program in personal skrims and the like to get data specifically for their team to help for the upcoming pro matches. It’s entirely possible that Blizzard never intended for everyone to use it in their public ladder games (which would explain why we never actually heard or saw evidence of Blizzard actually saying it’s fine, it was just word of mouth).
But people just assumed and ran with it, and now Blizzard has to clean up the mess.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you’re right here. I do hope they grant an exception for pursuit though. I don’t see how it’s any worse or more of a cheat than having someone do a vod review with you.

It’s not even a mess! No one cares but them, and everyone who thinks they know game code because they watch too many movies or T.V. shows with hackers clickity-clackiting on their keyboards. None of these guys who’ve disagreed with it so far on terms of “cheats” have given any real reason beyond what they think they know! I’m not giving up Pursuit; it’s a fine app, and unless Blizz provides us with their own tools, I’m keeping it and improving my performance in-game. OWL’s not gonna be the only one trying to git gud.

Outside help is always cheating. I thought the online gaming community as a whole understood this. Blizzard made the game, they set the rules of the game, whatever you can do and access in the game is legitimate, anything outside and not intended by Blizzard is cheating. It’s no more complex than this.

We can have the discussion of whether or not Blizzard should add some features of Pursuit and Visor to the game, that’s fine, but the whole thing about cheating is the concept of uneven playing fields, not the effectiveness of the cheats in question. If you are using Visor or Pursuit and someone else isn’t, it’s cheating, plain and simple, you have help that your opponent does not have.

I don’t care if it’s not an aimbot, I don’t care if Fusion uses/endorses it, I don’t care if it doesn’t directly help people win (because it’s not an automated process), it’s cheating if you have it and the enemy doesn’t.

2 Likes

So, let’s say I record me playing a character and send it to Janus, who does VOD reviews and gives tips, is that cheating?

13 Likes

Technically speaking…yes. It’s outside help that you’re relying on. People often PAY for VOD reviews as well, so you’re literally paying to help you win. How is that NOT cheating? It gives you an advantage, outside the rules of the game, that not everyone can access. That is the most entry level definition of a cheat in my book. Maybe people refer to this as a ‘white cheat’ the way people say ‘white lie’…it’s still a cheat.

Having coaching in pro sports isn’t cheating because all the teams in competition have access to it. It’s part of the rules of the game in the NFL, for example, for every team to have coaching staff. It’s not so black and white with online gaming.

2 Likes

Okay so install a scoreboard for this game already. 2 years have already passed what are you waiting for besides useless cosmetics, new maps and weak hero tweaks? Do you hate scoreboards or something? You don’t like stats?

I understand you guys love to collect our money providing us with lame cosmetics, somewhat decent maps and okay animated shorts, but you can’t provide a scoreboard with all that cash you got diving into it like Scrooge McDuck?

7 Likes

On the legal side of things, it is.

If I’m right (and I admit it’s a big if), Blizzard said one thing, something else happened, something that Blizzard specifically didn’t want. That’s not good.

Enjoy risking the suspension then, I suppose.

Like, you can tell us “The app is fine” all you want. That won’t exactly stop Blizzard from punishing you as they see fit. No matter what your opinion may be, you don’t have the final say here.

1 Like

People don’t pay for VOD reviews, wtf are you talking about? Chro judges tank plays and Junkrat plays, Fitzy does Sombra reviews, and Janus does reviews all the time on his Twitch! Are all of these pillars of the community cheaters now?! Should we ban anyone in top 500 who even thinks about giving tips?! If a Torb needs to find a place in-match and I give a tip, am I bannable if I advise him on where to put it before the match starts?!

5 Likes

You’re saying this in front of an official Blizzard employee who just clarified that it’s not allowed. :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

1 Like