Delete Supports and Tanks in OW2

true. but imagine like a little rein just running around or a hog, it would be so adorable

Maybe it’s time to finally get some order in whole damage system.

Health - nothing unusual, takes similar damage from all types of damage.
Armor - increased damage from lasers(beam weapons), but protects from bullet/explosive damage.
Shield - increased damage from bullet/explosive, reduced damage from beams;

Usual sci-fi logic - lasers easily destroy bulletproof armor, but blocked by forcefield. Bullets and shrapnel easily destroy forcefield, but stopped by armor.

1 Like

The devs keep stating that most of what we’re going to say is very likely to change…

I just genuinely don’t see the point in making statements like “delete supports and tanks, you obviously are catering to DPS”. That’s not even constructive criticism, that is drawing conclusions based on something they keep reiterating is going to change.

I feel like there is sharing some skepticism (which is fully valid, justified, and right IMO), and then there are statements/threads like this, where I just wonder…why? If it was closer to the final product, I would understand.

But if it’s all been said, over and over again, that it’s likely to change, what’s the point in getting mad? To push the “villainous DPS players” narrative again?

3 Likes

At this point, I am convinced, that whole “it’s likely to change” is simply to calm players down.
As previous experience says, that “it’s likely to change = we already decided on that, but we will keep telling you opposite to not ruin the surprise”.

Threads like this one are here, because Blizzard has “no reverts” policy, so if we listen to “play game before complaining” crowd, by the time we see things we do not like, it’s already too late.

17 Likes

… Because those supposed “unpopular” roots are what made overwatch unique and popular in the first place. The initial conception was a deft blend of ability-based classes and FPS mechanics. It was a billion dollar franchise out the gate precisely because it offered something no other game did.

The games overwatch 2 seems to be aping already exist. Who benefits from having yet another milquetoast fps with pitiful abilities?

24 Likes

Why are we acting like OW2 is going to have weaker abilities than Apex Legends?

Who said anything about Apex legends?

9 Likes

It’s funny you say this when my friends and all left League of Legends (still the most played game in the world) to come play Overwatch. We left league over one reason, balance (mobility was OP in LOL) and It looks like we won’t be playing OW2 for the same reasons, balance/mobility. We came for the MOBA mechanics and stayed till they announced 5v5.

3 Likes

Generally the way I see it

• Paladins: 50% FPS, 50% MOBA
  • OW1: 60% FPS, 40% MOBA
  • OW2: 70% FPS, 30% MOBA
  • Apex: 80% FPS, 20% MOBA
  • Valorant: 90% FPS, 10% MOBA
  • CS:GO: 100% FPS, 0% MOBA

Additionally, what Overwatch launched with was closer to that 70% FPS, 30% abilities. Given that healing was weaker, antidive was weaker, and doublebarrier wasn’t even possible.

The game veered too far into MOBA mechanics with GOATs and DoubleBarrier.

1 Like

This is unironically not the worst idea. Delete tanks from the game, buff all DPS and supports to ~400 or 500HP to increase TTK. Turn supports more into utility based hero, and reduce the impact of healing. That way, support don’t have to be so much weaker than DPS in damage output and won’t need to be “free kill”. If all roles are just as important to stay alive, none of the roles will need to be constrained in their strength.

But this is clearly not what the Overwatch team has in mind with their game so it’ll never happen even if it can theoretically work. They like having the trifecta that is tank, damage and supports. Maybe they’ve playtested other team-based formulations and found that tank, damage and support works best for their game.

1 Like

The Blizz Vision started to sour me on WoW, hope it doesn’t do the same here for OW2.

1 Like

Then none of the roles can afford risky plays.

DPS privilege, that comes from them being expendable, is that they can afford being reckless - charge into unexplored area of the map, sprint through doorway with possible hiding spots, and in general, putting their lives on the line, as those do not cost much.

Increased TTK makes for rather boring Esports, as viewers would fall asleep, before some progress is done.

Well they can still design tanky DPS that serves the purpose of creating space. It’s just that by removing the role, there won’t be as much disparity in their attributes.

Kind of like duelists in Valorant. Duelists are supposed to go in and entry frag which gives space for initiators to do their job. But it’s not set in stone and if anyone is good enough, they can entry frag with any role. Overwatch is more like the opposite and the heroes roles are more set in stone.

What I’m saying is that it’s possible to create a formula that’s similar to tank, DPS and support by designing a tanky DPS (e.g. doomfist) + support/utility DPS (e.g. sombra/symmetra). All deals similar amount of damage but they have different specialties which are map dependent. Since they’re all essentially DPS, the game won’t be as team reliant on winning in theory, since killing still is the win condition.

But this change could potentially turn the game into deathmatch. But it’ll still be Overwatch at the end of the day since no other FPS game has heroes with so many diverse playstyles. Like for example, DPS as a role already significantly varies in their playstyle.

That would be 6 - you forgetting something? “Classic” might not be a thing since classic is 6v6 and that won’t exist any more.

1 Like

Well the obvious thing to expect is “classic” but 5v5.

Fair enough. I disagree but understand why you feel that way.

But, in order to adhere to the blizzard way, they won’t.

It’s a play test 6 months before the next owl season. So it won’t change that much. Don’t be hopeful.

2 Likes

Bro it’s in alpha stage …

2 Likes

I mean every pro player said Sombra was busted and the Combat State that decreased healing was not a good addition, and from my memory they listen to pro players a hell of a lot more than community members.

I can be hopeful, the OWL season that is happening next is said to be played in the Beta state of the game, and 6 months is quite some time to shove around some numbers (like when they would just change the damage numbers of some random hero or add 25 hp to a hero randomly like weekly)