DEFLECT: if it doesnt work before why it would work now?

Jeff regarding genji deflect:
We can try to improve this. During development of Genji, the deflect hitbox used to be pixel perfect. The end result made it super unpredictable to deflect anything. We had to give some buffer to even make the ability usable. In the meantime, if he’s deflecting, don’t shoot at him :wink:

back then the animation and hitbox are pixel perfect = unpredictable
has to add some buffer to make it useable

now:
the hitbox are even SMALLER than the animation ???

if it not working back then, why dev think it will works now?

5 Likes

Because people got mad

1 Like

Whats terrible is, they denied it was bad for 2 years. In fact, they provided justification for its size. Now, they make it border line useless and any players who actually learned how to play with/against it have to re-learn the game.

I get other heroes have gotten reworks and such, but this is a straight nerf that makes an ENTIRE ability useless. Cant use it to protect slept, stunned or hooked teammates… or myself. OK

Yea Im an annoyed Genji main, it doesnt make what I said untrue

2 Likes

Look I feel like there is some middle ground between pixel perfect and massive. But what do I know? I’m just a bunch of letters on a web page.

1 Like

Can you stop acting like it’s the end of the world?
They will make it slightly bigger.
They won’t let therr 2nd favourite hero stay the way he is for long.

1 Like

Sounds like they straight up doomfisted it.

Part of me feels bad

Part of me is amused that genjis will now know what it’s like to have your buffer removed on a core ability- because I’ll be damned if I didn’t see an army of genjis complaining about doomfist on launch.

4 Likes

Well I wasn’t shooting him yet he still deflected :confused:

5 Likes

From that post it sounded like the deflect hitbox followed the animation of the sword perfectly. By that I mean, it would only deflect if you hit the sword with a bullet. So they made a hitbox that just sits in front of Genji, and now they’ve made that large hitbox a little smaller. From what I’ve seen, the new hitbox is much better.

3 Likes

They didn’t deny it was bad for 2 years, it just wasn’t at the top of the to-do list.

You can’t change tons of things all at once, same reason why the buffs to Mei came in, in pieces. If say they removed Ledge Dash and made this hitbox change at the same time people would have really gone nuts.

• They said Mercy’s first rework was a success.
  • DVa got so many changes and yet devs continuously said she was perfect.
  • IronClad (version 1) Bastion got released into live and console community got the most of it.

Not gonna add more, cause you know what I am trying to say. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s funny that you think it is shortened enough to worry. It still does several feet past him on either side . . .

After playing for a few hours in the PTR using genji and against genji, quite frankly I haven’t noticed that big of a difference. I’m not a genji main that’s for sure, but overall what happened should’ve happened earlier on.

“Border line useless” is an egregious over exaggeration.

The fix, not nerf, is fine.

3 Likes

Not to mention that he can even deflect melee attacks with it.

What you need to think about is why didn’t it work back then? Clearly they had some intent behind it to be an offesive ability but really why should it be?

Why does the most mobile character in the game need to be able to have the best defense in the game?

Genji doesn’t need that level of defense and it introduces counterplay since now if he wants to deflect things he’ll either need to make himself an easy target or go out of his way to hit them.

It still fulfills the purpose of defending him just as well as the old deflect with the exception of the headshot thing which I’m not entirely convinced isn’t a bug.

Yep.

i knew they would doomfist it

blizzard and hitboxes dont get along well

lets pray that they fix it quickly

1 Like

Yeah. in 2 years. :):grinning:

Deflect’s hitbox wouldn’t be too much of a problem if he couldn’t deflect a [bleep]ing hammer strike.

Sounds like someone’s a bit angry about incoming fixes. Resorting to cutting down a valid observation simply because I don’t have the hours you do. Tsk tsk.

Well I sincerely hope these changes don’t bother you too much when they go live because they’re here to stay. Enjoy Genji while he remains in his current state. Hope the change doesn’t ruin your life.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Lmao he deleted the post XD

1 Like