Could we acknowledge that aim is a skill?

but your idea of balance is a small handful of heros should curb stomp the rest because they are “harder” to play in your view

3 Likes

Pharah needs aim skill to counter and its awful because she just ends up obliterating everyone and everything completely uncontested unless you have someone who’s really good at aiming or force yourself to run 3 hitscan heroes

What’s your idea of balance then, and why isn’t it “the better player wins”?

If you want a game that isn’t focused on aiming, play a moba.
I can do this too.

The better team wins

3 Likes

Except I’m not complaining that the game isn’t MOBA enough, where you are complaining the game isn’t FPS enough.

3 Likes

Only at high levels.
If you can’t utilize hard heroes properly, then it doesn’t matter if they are strong or not.

I’m complaining that the game isn’t balanced enough.

Your idea of balance is for the game to be aim-focused, which isn’t the point of OW.

5 Likes

“Balance” isn’t harder heroes stomping out easier heroes. If this was a competitive focused title, maybe. But this is a casual game made for the casual market. This isn’t Quake, Unreal, or CS:GO. It’s an easier version of TF2, for lack of a better comparison.

This game was made with a core focus on fun and a chance to win for everyone. Skilled or not, able to flick or playing on controller.

3 Likes

Leaving heros objectively better creates imbalance across the board. That’s how Tracers, Genjis, Widows wipe out an entire team on their own.

That’s massive imbalance

1 Like

I disagree with #4. The big problem is that people want aim to be a counter to a Tracer or Genji, but that’s not a counter, that’s playing to their strengths. A hero like Genji or Tracer is specifically designed to be hard to hit, they’re designed essentially to counter aiming skill. The counter to a hero designed to counter aim is going to be an accurate, but low damage attack. This means area attacks, wide-hitboxes and auto-lock attacks.

It makes no sense to counter a character designed specifically to counter aiming skill using aim.

5 Likes

Tell that to the Overwatch league.

The league made over a year post launch, built from people playing on the, once again, post launch competitive mode? Or should I mention it to all the no aim heroes put in the game by the devs? No? Don’t mention the fact that the devs added in specific heroes that require less aiming skills than others, thus proving that they don’t want to put aiming as the only skill?

There is a multitude of damning evidence that this game was made for the casual crowd. Yes there is a competitive scene, no that doesn’t mean the game was designed that way. Smash Brawl had one. The game that the dev made for the sole purpose of getting rid of the competitive skill gap in the community.

Intent matters. Blizz made a casual shooter that got a lot of attention and now they want to make money off of it. That’s not a bad thing, but it’s not proof they made a competitive game. If they wanted it to be competitive, they wouldn’t have added in so many anti-competitive characters/mechanics, and would have launched the game with a competitive mode. Hell, maybe they should fix the current one if they want anyone to take the attempted (and failed) transition to competition seriously.

That is a well-articulated counter argument. It’s a shame it won’t work against this crowd.

1 Like

That’s blizzards long standing desire to create an e-sport game. Heck I liked the game because it reminded me of World of Warcrafts 5v5 arena (which they had turnys and such for too).

I find shooters boring (except Halo) and OW has just enough spice to make it interesting.

2 Likes

Not objectively better. I want a trade off between skill and reward.

You want easy heroes to be objectively better, but you don’t know it yet.
Ease of use!

Competitive mode was in the closed beta.

Yet the full release of Blizzard’s game lacked it? Strange. It’s almost like it didn’t fit with the nature of the game or something.

Anyway, I give up. You’re alot like one of the Borderlands players who focuses on nothing but min-maxing. I don’t mind, it’s just obnoxious to talk to someone like that, because they believe the only way games should function is the way they see fit. I.e. you wanting only hit-scan, flick shot focused characters to be viable at higher ranks, despite what Blizzard clearly wants.

Anyway, have a good day, enjoy competitive Overwatch, and I hope you find a game that suits your specific wants soon, rather than trying to complain and worm your ideals into a game they aren’t meant for.

1 Like

No, it’s just that their competitive game mode sucked according to the players participating in the closed beta, so they scrapped it until a later date.