Constantly losing connection

Ok so sometimes when i play overwatch the game runs smoothly, sometimes it plays a little choppy but then again my computer is a potato so no surprise there.
but there are time where the game freezes and it loses connection to the game and send me back to the loading screen with the message ‘LOST CONNECTION TO GAME SERVER’ and eventually loads and the main screen appears. this apparently happens at random: some days it runs like usual, some days i cant log into a game because it kicks me out a minute into the game.
now, this wouldnt really bother (because like i said my computers not the best) if it wasnt for the fact that when i try to insist and still play some games after it logs me of a couple times it would eventually give me the 75% less exp penalty. but its not like i WANT to leave the game, the server itself logs me off.
so i guess what im trying to say is, if i get ‘lost connection to game server’ frequently, fine whatever let them come, but can i please not get penalties for something that is out of my control?

Has your WiFi been down? This happens to me whenever the wind knocks out the power and my WiFi is down? I have a PS4 so I just restart it. Also I looked it up before and i had to change something on my internet settings on my PS4 and that fixed it temporarily.

This has been happening to me as well for the past couple of days as well. Most of the time I’m just not able to log in…keeps giving “Connection lost” error.

Unfortunately every player is responsible for their internet connection. Penalties including Competitive Leaver suspensions and the -75% XP penalty still applies. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

That being said, the better course of action is to take time to troubleshoot your causes of your disconnections. First make sure everything from your end is working by following this troubleshooting guide:

PC players:

Console players:

If you have carefully completed all troubleshooting steps, including advanced troubleshooting steps. The next step is to investigate the connection route by running a WinMTR test:

WinMTR instructions:

1. Download WinMTR from http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/ (Console players need a Windows Desktop Computer connected to the same network as their console to do this.)
  2. Unzip the WinMTR.zip file to the Desktop.
  3. Open the WinMTR folder and select the 32 or 64 bit version. Choose whichever one corresponds to your version of Windows.
  4. Run the WinMTR.exe
  5. Type the IP address you want to trace in the “Host” field. To get the correct IP you will actually need to open up the game and go Practice Vs AI or Quick Play and if you are on PC hit Ctrl+Shift+N and it will bring up the ingame network diagnostic graph, or go to Video > Options > Display Network Performance Graph if you are on any platform including Console. In the top left corner is the IP address you want to run WinMTR to.
    Network Graph
    note When looking at the IP it will show up ingame as something like 12.34.56.78:12345. You will want to leave the last 5 digits and the colon at the end off and the IP you want to use is just the 12.34.56.78
  6. Once you notice the connection issue while playing, play for about 6 more minutes, minimize the game and click on “Stop”.
  7. Click on “Copy text to clipboard”, then return to this forum thread.
  8. Type two sets of four squiggly lines and then paste the contents of the WinMTR test between: ~~~~ Paste WinMTR Test Results Here ~~~~

If in the event you can’t even connect to Overwatch and get into any game mode at all, please use one of the following IP addresses based on your geographical region:

• US West - 24.105.30.129
  • US Central - 24.105.62.129
  • Brazil - 54.207.107.12
  • Europe - 185.60.114.159
  • Europe - 185.60.112.157
  • Korea - 211.234.110.1
  • Taiwan - 203.66.81.98
1 Like