✅ [Concept] Radial Waypoint System

So in an interview Jeff, he mentioned that they had wanted a system similar to Apex’s Ping system, and they even beta tested it. But the problem is that it was too visually spammy.

So I figure, why not merge this idea with some things that already exist.

There’s a circle above someone’s head when they say “Need Healing”.

There’s also that “top down view” that OWL has. Where it shows the circular hero icon, with a V arrow that around that circle?

Okay, so let’s merge those two ideas together.

Have it when someone does an “Enemy here!” command, it shows a circle icon with that wide arrow spinning around the circle.

The icon+arrow would be above the teammates head, but it would point to the waypoint the teammate selected.

However if the waypoint selected is behind you, then the circle+waypoint goes to the bottom of your screen. (Even if your teammate is infront of you). No arrow needed since it would move relative to waypoint.

And yeah, that’s what I got so far.
I’ll probably add a list of commands.
And some visuals.

End result, you have something that’s less visually spammy, and less accurate than a standard waypoint system.
But that’s probably better, considering the “engagement distances” in Overwatch are much smaller than maps which primarily happen at sniping distance.

2 Likes

I think this is a good idea. They would have to make it not clutter your screen and be spammable though.

Added a couple graphics