Comprehensive Symmetra Rework Analysis (90+ 💙; Fix ideas w/ Visuals + Survey!)

Currently Symmetra can release smallest orb at earliest possible time after 0.2 second, and there’s a 0.063 between charges. So the fastes possible fire rate is 1 orb every 0.263 second. if we buffed the initial damage of the smallest orbs to 25, it would lead to about 95 DPS.

I don’t want shields CD to start after shields decay. That’s the point. You give it for 4 seconds on one target, and then you either switch the target or buff him again. If you use it constantly, it gives roughly 30 shields/second, if not counting cast time. However, the effectiveness of this ability depends on either good prediction and timing, like zarya bubble, since the shields decay and becomes less effective with time. It’s supposed to imitate the reactive healing of other supports.

I don’t understand the turret problem tho. They are as useful stacked in one place as they are currently. Which is not useful at all.

Edit: This version of Sym is supposed to do 3 things: help main healer with his job, counter snipers and counter flankers.

With the amount of shields she gives, damage reduction from photon barrier, and hp to shields conversion, it would be hard to believe she won’t be put in off-healer slot.

Everything she has counters snipers. SG literally prevents oneshots, photon barrier zones far off targets perfectly. Turrets are throwable and can be used to deny any sniper positions available. Teleporter can give immobile targets a way to reach these far-off targets, and perfectly timed Defense Projection also can save people from sniper shot.

She can deal with flankers easily. Flankers won’t focus your sniper/healer if they are looking for SG, turrets can reveal incoming flankers and their location. And she has great 1v1 potential with increased initial damage, photon barrier, and moira aiming mechanics still contribute with figh against mobile characters.

This Symmetra has a purpose.

1 Like

The shield thing makes sense. As for the turrets, due to the health buff, I worry people might stack turrets to make a really strong turret bomb. This could result in the community complaining about her turrets and wanting a nerf.

Also I guess the holding photon barrier before releasing is a no? Just to clarify.

And how did you get the animations from 2.0? Did pre record them last year or something?

You cannot teleport turrets. It says in the rework. They also deal little damage. They’re source of slow, not damage.

I would prefer not to make her more complicated than she already is. Which is why it’s a no to immobile photon barrier*. Maybe something to consider later.

Which animation?

1 Like

I know turrets wouldn’t be able to teleport in your rework. I just had a concern if players would try abusing the extra health.

I also understand your standing on the moving shield so I’ll stop asking about it.

I was referring to the animations from the nostalgic rework ideas. You said you were an animator so I wanted to know how you made those gifs

1 Like

35 health gets destroyed as fast by AoE dmg as 30. I don’t see a problem.

When it comes gifs:
First one is actually a bug that was recorded on the PTR. It basically made lockon available at 9 meters instead of 7. I don’t remember who recorded this, I just downloaded it for some reason I dont remember. But it looks like I forgot to delete it, at it fits my idea so well, so I turned it to gif.

For photon orb I recorded 2 custom games: one with normal speed and one with 250% projectile speed (50 m/s) and mashed both together in video editor. And since there’s no 50% proj speed in custom, I had to cut middle of the video in half speed, which is why it looks so bad.

Weapon switch is a still image with a greenscreened recording of her current TP stance, since it is the same as old one. There’s a greenscreen in Hollywood so I recorded it here. I didn’t find any good turret exoskeleton visuals anywhere so I decided to make it myself in Blender 3D and made it rotate a bit.

Turret and tp simply are mashed together with these visuals.

Photon Barrier is a still image that shrinks constantly on top of greenscreened cast animation.

Defense Projection is from her gameplay trailer.

Ult is combination of all previous (I had to run forward while casting TP to not record the entrace of TP) + I downloaded sym 3d model and animated cast animation. Shieldgen visuals are made in Blender 3D as well. All mashed together in video editor.

1 Like

Some suggestions for the primary fire

Symmetra doesn’t need a full rework, and certainly not nearly as many changes as suggested. All she needs is +50 shields added to her healthpool, and her primary fire to lock-on again, and she would be fine. You can even just revert her primary fire back to its final iteration of 2.0.

A healthpool increase would help solve her close range issue, and her secondary fire already works fine as a mid range and long range weapon.

The only thing that has ever held Symmetra back was her healthpool and weapon. Both 2.0 and 3.0 could have worked if she came baseline with 250 health, her 2.0 primary fire, and her 3.0 secondary fire. That’s it. All of her other tools and utility could be interchanged and she would still work.

Whether Symmetra needs a full rework or not is not the matter of these changes. This is how to fix 2.0, targeted for those who liked 2.0 and dislike 3.0. Think of it as a separate entity. 3.0 is fixable with simple fixes, and at the top of the page there’s literally “How to fix 3.0” which only does simple number changes.

2 Likes

So long as 2.0 stays as a DPS. Symmetra never belonged in the support category. What you’re looking for is what Echo will probably be. She will probably be that shield generator support that Symmetra never was.

You’re telling me 1.0 (or maybe 0.5?) was a walking DPS? No? Didn’t think so.

With 75 indestructible shields at the start of the round and a 10 charge teleporter that could’ve been charged while it was active, Symmetra easily covered the needs of sustain off-healer provided. Also she did much less damage due to shorter range.

1 Like

Bump! Billion characters

2 Likes

I created a survey in which one must choose which version of Sym would like to see in game.

Link to the survey.

This is a great way to see what players would actually want. Please consider taking part in it.

Which one is your nostalgic rework version. Cause you might want to add that as one of the options

Supportmetra with shields, probably. It’s the closest to it.

6 votes on survey so far. All of them spread into 2.0 variations.

I am kinda surprised noone voted for 3.0 yet.

Keep it going guys!

1 Like

Lets BUMP IT TO THE TOP!!!

1 Like

Sure!
Also i really would like to see a mix of Symmetra 2.0 and 3.0, but i don’t think blizzard would di that cause she would be too clunky

1 Like

holybad-word i love your nostalgic rework idea soooo much, im gonna be dreaming playing this symmetra tonight

4 Likes

How was your sleep lol. Did you dream about handheld microwave?

I’ve changed a few numbers in the 2.0 revamp, because apparently we needed another thread to express their opinion about it being OP. That makes me think whether people fully read other people posts sometimes. I know I said its optional, but still.

2 Likes

This is an amazing post! Thank you for writing it… I miss Symm 2.0 so much. After this rework i stopped maining her, they completely destroyed her for me.
#BringBackOurSymm
#MakeSymmGreatAgain

5 Likes