Competitive should REQUIRE voice chat

The nature of competitive games is solely that, competition. I believe you should be required to at least joined voice chat. Overwatch competitive has become less enjoyable over the years and I speak for many players when I say that I’m just not experiencing the quality of game play that I desire.

2 Likes

Nope, Comp has been far more enjoyable since I stopped using voice

3 Likes

99% of voice chat is trash. I hit GM without it. Anyone who relies on callouts from others that isn’t a pro needs to work on their own faults.

1 Like

It’s a team based game that requires, ACTUALLY requires team work. Effective vocal communication is key, there is no effective text communication in Overwatch. Playing a 15 minute game where no one says a word is not satisfying to win even if you do.

Sure communication can be important, but it’s not vital nor is it required on the ladder.

1 Like

I think the key word in your phrase is “Effective”. Many people believe that in Competitive when you solo queue, there isn’t a chance for “Effective” communication, and that the far more likely communication is toxicity.

I still join voice, but my mute button and report buttons are always ready to be rapid fired.

Playing a 15 minute game where no one says a word the entire game, maybe someone coughs, just isn’t fulfilling. It makes for really empty game play. I don’t know about others but I don’t want winning to feel like a coin toss. Players should be proactive and use communication to alter the course of a game.

If you want your version of teamwork, then create a team.

1 Like

Maybe for you. For me, those are my favorite types of games.

“Voice chat should be required because I want to yell at my teammates for reasons.”

Exactly why voice chat is not and will never be required.

1 Like

“Hodor”

Some rather bizarre responses I thought.

Why you’d prefer to play a specifically team based game solo is beyond me.
But each to their own.

Do agree with the original sentiment though.
Quick Play & Arcade are there if you just want to mess about and kill a few hours.
Comp should be for people that want to play, well as the name suggests, competitively.

Comp comms should also be somewhat a professional interaction, not the baby rage it is today.

I personally do not think its required because I feel like the people who arent in vc are doing it on purpouse and if that’s the case they will just mute it anyways, last time I checked teamchat was on by default. However, I would not object to it if it were to be added since games like csgo dont allow you to leave voicechat.

Completely agree.

That’s why a forced mic rule would likely never work.

Had two games last night for example; where all that was coming down the mic was someones TV and some ones music.

In this case you would just mute the disruptive mics.

Oh they were.

Made a few call outs, got nothing back.

Mute.

What I think the best solution is if you’re looking to play organized games, and this is what I started doing.

Is when you play with someone you’re combo’ing well with, even if they aren’t on mic.
Just ping them a little message after the game with something like: “Hey that was a game, if you want to duo sometime”

Granted most ignore, but I’ve got a few adds from people, and had a few good games as a result. But once you’re in a party playing, you’ll be surprised how many people want to join the party/chat.

You can turn off voice chat in CS:GO.

you can? I thought you could only put volume at 0?