Competitive should have Tiers

For those who don’t know what I mean, several competitive games have tiers for each rank to better match players in fair games: Bronze I, Bronze II, Bronze III, etc.

At the very least, it could address the problem of higher-ranked individuals being in games they shouldn’t be in…if done correctly, like so:

• Bronze I players can be matched with other Bronze I players, but also Bronze II or Silver III players.

While some could argue that there’s not enough players to implement this concept, I think it could work…assuming Blizzard’s claim of having over one million active players is true…

So what are your thoughts? Do you think a system like this could better competitive integrity? Of course, there would still need to be more done to make this game a true competitive experience, but that can be further debated if asked.

10 Likes

I mean that’s pretty much what SR does already…it’s just not visually broken down like that

5 Likes

no thanks, i rather cry by numbers going down faster than they can go up

I think that’s the problem: the current system is by numbers (1500 sr, etc.) which can be rather vague for the average player. With tiers, it would allow players better clarity on the matches they’re playing, at least from my perspective.

I just think it would be better to see Silver I players going against Silver I, Silver II, or Gold III players, rather than what the current system does…

Regardless of what they call it, it would either be the same players as now, or queues would be longer if it’s looking for closer matched people.

At that point just create a whole new elo

2 Likes

I think that would be necessary. Then again, players did say they were willing to wait longer games if it meant better compositions…

Of course, there was the other option to address stacks, but that’s still up for debate.

Oh I remember what happend in HOTS.
My MMR skyrocketed, was around high plat, 1/2 plat while my tier was gold 3.
Was really funny to see 5 gold 3 vs 4 gold 3 and 1 plat 2. It scaled accordingly for a long time :smiley:

I mean I’m all for it, exactly of this reason

I still think just having the rank name is fine. Without numbers at the end. I can see wanting to only face people closer to your rank and wait in longer queues tho.

1 Like

True, but I just feel like it would be better for clarity. It just looks and sounds better:

Silver II versus Silver III feels more descriptive than 1500 sr versus 1700 sr.

Perhaps a gauge to see how far one is from rank up would help…? Most of this is from another game that, surprisingly, is competitively stable.

1 Like

Well it wouldn’t be 1500 v 1700, it would just be silver vs silver. Unless ppl look into profile, assuming it’s not hidden.

They could add 1-5 for each 100sr in the rank, but I still don’t think it really changes anything. And why bother changing a 5 year old system of displaying ranks when in the end it’s still the same thing.

50 shades of bronze?

7 Likes

Feels better when you make progress

1 Like

if all it does is having a different name instead of 2500 sr for example, it doesn’t make much of a difference.

Even now the game matches you with +500 sr skill difference.

Just three for each tier: Bronze III to I -> rank up -> Silver III to I -> etc.

just something better than Bronze (___ sr) versus Bronze (___ sr). At least from my view point…

You know what, I like this idea

2 Likes

Matchmaking isn’t based on rank.

Yeah I think I agree. Be really nice if we had “mini-ranks” every 200 SR or so, just for feedback and “psychology” purposes.

2 Likes

People still are making progress. Regardless of it changing every 500 sr or every 100.

Doesn’t matter if it’s factually correct, these are design choices influenced by how people perceive things.
If people perceive this as more progress, feels better than it is what it is.
Humans are not robots