Competitive forces 50-50

Dude… if you cant carry yourself out of low elo, you are simply not good

Jesus, is that so hard?

1 Like

“Elo” was a statistician who came up with a way to rank chess players based on their wins and losses record. It comes in the form of a four digit number that represents your ability to compete against people with a score within 200 of your own, in a 1v1 strategy game.

Misappropriating it to describe what Blizzard has done is… stupid. I know that meme came from League of Legends, but I can’t be sure you played League of Legends so I won’t bother going into the specific details of why LoL’s format lends itself much more readily to the description of Elo (still wildly inaccurate) than a game like Overwatch does.

In any case… if personal ability were the only factor involved, I would agree with you. 100% I would support the position you’re taking because Elo is a way to rate individual ability in a 1v1 scenario.

IT DOES NOT APPLY TO TEAMS NOR DOES IT APPLY TO GAMES WITH COMPLEX VARIABLES.

There is a reason that computers can beat human players at games like Chess, Go, Stratego, Risk… board games with tightly constricted variable sets and turn-based positioning. It’s because computers are bringing to bear millions of games worth of experience against a human’s much more limited window of memory. The human advantage is the ability to adapt and produce novelty… which is arguably an illusion. (in the computer science field, the illusion of freedom is a major point of discussion for a huge number of reasons).

But no… what you do in Overwatch is, at most, 8.5% of the reason for a match’s outcome. It’s the other 11 people that are in the match with you who get to decide the rest.

1 Like

I’ve had severe drops due to mainly tilt and playing with friends but I often know I’ll lose 200-300 SR and is fine with it.

I’ve also managed to do mad climbs, like up to 400-500 SR in one very long session. So yes, if you are diamond or high plat you can at very least climb out of let’s say gold to mid plat in a day rather easily.

So no, system ain’t broken in that regard and it’s impossible to know how well people will perform, me for example is a typical case of being a momentum player so consistency varies a lot which means that when I play good I do next to flawless games and when I play tilted or angry/frustrated my aim can drop down to gold level. I’m also a player that have easier time to play with people on very very high levels and keep up rather than lead on lower level in general since vast majority of like plat players are either overextending too much and don’t secure kills to stagger when having the chance which makes it hard since this often results in me being baited to death or have to defend a point alone or just with a few others.

If it was forced no one would be able to climb but since better players obviously manage to climb it can’t be forced. It’s a marathon and not a sprint, if you play 10 games you might win 2-3 due to other team having leavers, throwers and whatnot and you lose 2-3 for the same reason so no matter how good you are some games will simply be out of your control, the other 4-6 though you can be the one having enough impact.

In plat I’d say Reinhardt players have the easiest time to climb because a good Rein will make even bad DPS be decent along with crushing the opponents entire frontline as long as he get mediocre heal. So if you want to be carry material, Rein is the best way to go and I have a long friendlist and since I’m a dps flex many good healers and tanks often add me and those that are under their level, especially Reinhardts and Zarya players I often see climbing 1k SR from gold/plat to diamond (one even went from gold to masters in less than a season, he came back from not having to played for long on PC but was like diamondish on console), point being, you can’t excpet to climb over just a few games, you need to do long sessions and rather many of them and if you are consistently performing better than the SR you have you will climb without any issues whatsoever.

The SR is there to prevent stomps and create games the system feel being equal to one another, not to make us all be stuck on the same rank. Is it flawless? No, it’s not but that affects everyone so…

What… I’m exactly implying that those “circumstances out of our control” are very random and in no way can the matchmaking have any influence. Your argument is stating the matchmaking somehow magically makes you lose the same amount after a win streak; eg lose 3 times in a row after 3 times winning. This is what you mean by “forced 50-50” right? The reality is those “random factors” are human behavior. How would the system know if you’re gonna get 3-5 DPS after a perfectly balanced, well communicating team? There’s absolutely no way.

If your argument is “the result of the game isn’t 100% in my own hands”,- sure, that’s true since it’s a 6v6 team game. But you’re implying the “rigged matchmaking system” can somehow make you lose or win by some magic algorithm, it really can’t unless it’s blatantly playing you in games against people way higher than you, which isn’t true.

You win games because your team outplayed the enemy team, and you lose games because the opponent’s did, or you/your team made more mistakes. It’s that simple.

No iam a gm smurf look at the account all 60% winrate .
i did this account for tests the more win streak i get and the better you play .
Not only the game put you vs good people which i can deal with but it give you braindead team mates which is NOT okay no matter how good you are you can’t 1 vs 5/6 i mean i can do it with some heros like tracer genji and zarya but now i can’t we have brig even a plat player can combo gm tracer mostly Something is wrong here believe me the matchmaking is doing something wrong

1 Like

read what i said its not about 3-5 dps you can win even with 6 dps if they do know what they are doing not just going in feed and die

the matchmaking give you worse or really bad teamates if you are in winstreak or a very good player with high mmr in your elo and expect you to carry the game i recommend you read this one

1 Like

Using Cuthbert’s thread as evidence of anything, talking about “braindead teammates”, and having an endorsement level of 0 tells us everything we need to know about you and your mindset, and not your teammates.

Cuthbert intentionally takes a dev’s quote out of context, I call him out on it, and he never even tries to refute:

3 Likes

Polite boy is right , the game forces impossible games on you. Quarters you’d rather believe the system is perfect than flawed with forced 50-50? Funny

i made this account to test and it did prove it but Fan boys are fan boys Also having private profile with lvl 1 endorsement tells us everything we need to know about you and your mindset, and not your teammates.

1 Like

Alot of blizzard employees come on this chat as well to troll and tell us to “git gud” when they can’t account for variances in skill with their current broken matchmaking system

1 Like

No one’s saying the system is perfect. But you’re the one claiming that the matchmaker intentionally tries to drop your winrate to 50% via impossible-to-win games, yet you also talk about the matchmaker being unable to account for variances in skill.

At least I acknowledge the variance in skills argument. Some people can mechanically execute at a high level yet have terrible gamesense, some people have great gamesense but cannot execute mechanically, some people do both and more at a very high level, and some people can’t execute and have poor gamesense. All of it happens to varying degrees and that’s what makes up the ranks, so you have to find a way to get you and your team together to deal with the other team.

Basically, your ranking is a culmination of those mechanical skills, gamesense, and soft skills (communication, teamskills, willingness to adapt and even compromise, and other general people skills). A lot of people lack the last thing, and in the long run, that won’t fly in a team-reliant game like Overwatch. If you don’t want soft skills to be a factor, your mechanical skills and gamesense need to be sharper to make up for it. Otherwise, this game isn’t for you.

Kind of like how these two players below “proved” they had “braindead teammates”, right?

2 Likes

OP is right. In no other “sports” you get forced 50/50. Blizzard has to remove this and all other effects effecting who you meet. IF you do any other sports like basketball this would be disaster

2 Likes

Kind of like how these two players below “proved” they had “braindead teammates”, right? wtf are you talking about you can just look at my profile you would tell its 100% smurf i know what iam talking about if i can’t carry game in diamond after alot of winstreak with retarded braindead teammates but ican do it in highmaster /GM with normal teammates .
i know what iam talking about but i think you will never feel this because you are one of them iam pretty sure about this you are getting carried through games by good players then you get put or people like you with good players so they balance the game with braindead teammates

1 Like

don’t bother explaining to these guys , fan boys will be fanboys. Blizzard won’t do them wrong according to them they are waving evidence of a broken game in their face and developers even admit it themselves yet they don’t believe it LOL

I love how you think this is a blizzard issue when more or less the same matchmaking system is used in every game. Hell i don’t even particularly care for Blizzard or Activition for that matter. However it’s still silly to think this game is rigged.

1 Like

You’re wrong . The same system is used but skill is more accountable. In CS GO you play CT or T so skill variance is very much the same and it’s measured more accurately. In this game they put 5 healer mains in 1 team and expect you to win based on that. Or how about when they put 3 DPS on 1 team and the true good player out of the 3 is forced to choose a healer or tank and then end up losing the game? Youre a fanboy with no logic so sit down.

See those things are not even accounted for in matchmaking all it does is match you with players of similar MMR. Also calling me a Blizzard fan is adorable considering Overwatch is the only Blizzard game I even play and I don’t even particularly like this game I play it because my boyfriend does.

1 Like

Which is why it’s broken and yes it does account those things to force people to lose

No, it doesn’t.
I can tell you’ll never climb. If you dropped your attitude and accepted you are the only reason you can’t climb, then you’d actually climb.

1 Like

This tired line is never backed up with actual examples. The ones who say “I climbed from bronze to masters just to prove it can be done” always fail to tell you that they 4-stacked with their thrower friends, and got carried by the remaining 2 players who flexed their brains out because that 4-stack always went Zarya, Hanzo, Genji, Mercy and refused to heal or shield regardless of the situation because that doesn’t give you the MMR boost you want in order to maximize SR gains. They don’t tell you they threw 40% of their matches to confuse the MMR system so they could rank faster. They don’t tell you it took them three weeks of this pattern to get most of the way back to where they think they belong… and they don’t tell you they ditched that team 300SR from their usual resting place because they needed to solo-queue and get carried the rest of the way.

They also don’t tell you that they only played between 3am and 8am on tuesdays and thursdays in the first two weeks of the season when the trolls were thin enough to rank up in the first place.

It’s a whole lot of bullpucky.

1 Like