Competitive backfill

Assuming that Priority Pass works out, could you then use it as the basis for a backfill system in competitive?

If someone quits a match early, in addition to whatever penalty they would normally get, they also have to flex queue once, with no priority pass credit, before they can role queue again.

If you backfill you can gain a priority pass, or just some SR or XP…but something substantial enough to get people to want to do it. (I personally like jumping in and trying to win from behind, but I know that’s not everyone’s jam.)

What are the potential downsides? The only thing I can think of is people might be more inclined to quit a match…but at least it would then replace them with someone. I’d rather have someone than no one.

Yes, this would be wonderful, but, this would not leave 10 people raging and carrying this rage into the next game and this is something this game wants you to do. Yeah, I know, I get my Aluminium hat…

you want to risk your sr by no fault of your own by being placed in a losing match?

2 Likes

Yes, I would, because in this system I would not be punished for I would be asked If I wanted to join with all consequences pertaining. But, I know, volition is not what the gaming industry wants.

Yeah, no. Leave me out of your fetish for smurfing or your insanity for a “comeback” game; whichever applies more.

2 Likes

No freaking way. I would however absolutely do it with no sr involved win or lose and only reward (priority queue, comp points, or loot boxes) on wins.

4 Likes

Do not fear anything, love, this will not happen. You are safe now.

1 Like

every topic on these forums is a thought experiment.

3 Likes

Yes it is and nothing else but this. We have got no sway in anything about the game.

Maybe with some players which gets a badge for being “good intentional players” with gold border+ ?

So a lv50 smurf cant backfill, but a lv 1000 (is that gold?) gold border player which has shown that he would do that for the community?

Leaver system that league of legends has is the solution and overwatch had as well. Removing it was a joke and competitive is meangingless. A competitive system with leavers will never have integrity without a system to deal with it.

So you want to throw someone onto my team that not only leaves matches, but is being forced onto a role he doesn’t want to play? No thanks. I’ll wait in queue.

3 Likes

The idea being that people will either 1) be dissuaded from leaving, or 2) at least contribute something by playing a needed role. The people who habitually quit are going to be banned anyway. This is about the people who could be enticed/coerced to behave better.

But I realize that yes, if I didn’t care about my tank SR I could flex and just hope to get a tank match so I could throw it. That’s a good reason why this idea wouldn’t work.

I’m not saying it’s a magic fix. I was just wondering if the Priority Pass system provided enough of a framework to do something like this. If so, then it might end up being relatively easy to put in some kind of backfill. And that might be one way to alleviate the problem of people leaving games.

I don’t want someone being coerced to play tank on my team. I want someone who volunteered to play tank.

Do you get the larger point? That by changing their behavior they could then WANT to play tank? I didn’t play tank for 3 years because I hated the idea of it. Once I actually tried it, not only did I like it, but I found tanks I can play well, and now I can be beneficial to a team as a tank. It’s fun. I enjoy it. I’m good at it. But I needed to be coerced to take the first step.

Very little about this game will change unless people’s individual behavior changes. One of the reasons role queue was a success in terms of game balance is because people’s behavior shifted. People are queuing for tank and support who were not doing that before. I do it sometimes just for the loot box or credits, neither of which I need, but it’s fun and it helps the game.

I want a team full of people playing the roles they want to play. Of course I want that. With matchmaking, that is clearly not always possible. The next best thing, then, is a team full of people who are at least EQUIPPED to play the roles they are assigned. And the more you flex, the more well rounded you are, the more likely you are able to be an asset to your team. So you can see why it would be better for everyone to encourage that behavior.

If you’re happy with the way things are, that’s fine.

You tried it on your own. Humans interpret experiences differently when they are forced into doing something.

Backfill has been discussed several times in past here. It has sadly too many potencial flaws to implement it into comp.

I understand it’s not an easy thing to implement. But I just played 6 matches and people left 3 of them. All were winnable.

If they said they tested backfill internally and it doesn’t work, okay cool. I’ll leave it alone. I just think it’s something worth trying that could help improve the quality of all games immediately.

Backfill? For Competitive? Are you insane? It already sucks in Quicks, putting you in a 3-second-Defeat most of the time! No way such thing should be in Comp! I’d rather have system cancelling the match or have a full Comp match with leavers than have this.

Ummm no. First off, Priority Pass has made Comp EVEN WORSE. It gets worse and worse per season and this jumped to beyond worse now. No wonder Valorant is still destroying OW in all aspects even when people said after a few months it would be lower in views on Twitch… UMMM OW is at an all time low on Twitch and Valorant is destroying OW in views.