Come back to us, BrightTitan :' (

Preamble
On the issues of MMR and algorithmic handicapping in Competitive Play, players tend to be either for or against. Fence sitters are few and far between; at least they tend not to comment. In my five years on these forums, I have never seen a player reverse their position, after they have taken a position on this polarizing subject. It was a bit of a shock to me to finally see such a reversal come to pass. It was a greater shock to realize that the defector was from my own camp.

Up until last week, BrightTitan had been one of the strongest proponents for a cause that I think is really important. They are someone who I know to be a student of law, regulation, civics, economics, and governance; subjects that are at the heart of this debate. When I read BrightTitan’s case in favor of Match Making Rating (a core component of Activision/Blizzard’s Matchmaker for Overwatch), and True Skill (Microsoft’s 2007 matchmaking invention), I found it profoundly disheartening.

How could a thinking person voice support for systems that violate the principles of transparency, fairness, and non-discrimination in ranked competition? Rationality is a double-edged sword. A person can take a correct position on a subject based on reason, and they can rationalize an incorrect position based on falsehoods or wrong assumptions.

Dear BrightTitan,
Let me talk to you more and help you find the falsehood you have accepted or the wrong assumption that underlies your position. Of course we do not have much of the information we need to make a final judgement, because Activison/Blizzard is withholding so much of it. But if I can at least persuade you to suspend your judgement, I’ll consider it a victory.

First let me say I don’t blame you for this disagreement. We are all casualties of the information war that the multinational corporate world is waging on public society. With Activision/Blizzard holding all the cards, unresponsive, keeping resolution out of sight for years on end, being the point person for this cause has been painful for myself. Losing the loyalty of an ally is similarly painful.

I know that pain can spur us to false words so, afraid of overreacting, I took a week to consider my response. On sufficient reflection, meditation and revision, I think I’m ready to start one final thread on the subjects of SR/MMR/PBSR and algorithmic handicapping. And though it won’t be my last post on the subjects, I think it will be my final thread.

Is this post from Ozone the one that turned you? You must know that he has things backwards.

TrueSkill is a Microsoft invention, based on their 2007 patent for “Handicapping in a Bayesian skill scoring framework.” But the concept of ‘grading players on a bell curve’ is not really something that can be invented or owned by any company, because it is too basic of a concept. And even though algorithmic handicapping based on Bayesian skill scoring has become industry standard for game publishers, the basis of my argument is that they are all wrong to do this, and players are wrong to accept it.

I think it is not incidental that you are a young person (as you have said). Older folks have less of the neuroplacticity it takes to rethink their beliefs. Activison/Blizzard devs and fanboys have argued that Match Making Rating and algorithmic handicapping make matches more fun. But competitive players do not play for only or even primarily for fun; they play to win.

The crux of the matter is this: a player’s ability to win matches rightfully belongs to them. By measuring player ability with MMR and using it to handicap matches, Activision/Blizzard is effectively taking away the advantage the rightfully belongs to the individual. They are taking away the advantage of skill and giving it to the unskilled.

But they are! I don’t understand, how do you dismiss your original views about these things?

But your teammates are the choice of the matchmaker!

The truth of the matter is relative to the subject; there are many systems that can be considered perfect, depending on what criteria apply. The questions is: what is the system meant to do?

Overwatch’s ranked game mode is a massive, systemic miscarriage of competition; a depraved and perverted travesty of an “E-Sport.” It didn’t have to be this way. Competitive Play could have been a true competition that could have produced an accurate ladder of “Skill Rating” with real champions at the top. Instead it’s a slot machine, spewing results that are ostensibly random yet carefully and demonstrably engineered with winners who are essentially chosen by a rigged lottery. Far from a perfect system, quite the opposite.

Do you think that a system like SR/MMR/PBSR would be necessary and logical if Competitive Play was solo-queue only? I have argued that solo-queue is the only equitable way to handle ranked multiplayer competition. Groups should not be allowed. Do you agree/disagree?

I am the single biggest advocate of this topic. Do you think that I am not well meaning? Do you think that my arguments are wrong, based in falsehood or wrong assumptions? Do you doubt the my sources or think I have misinterpreted them?

No, BrightTitan please, do not waste another minute on this game! Overwatch’s Matchmaker is not elemental, it is completely unnatural. It is not a force you can reckon with, or an opponent that you can study and overcome. Every match you play, the system is reckoning with you; studying and overcoming you. It does this easily and efficiently, by aborting fair matches and pitting skilled contenders against each other.

The Matchmaker is not something you can beat. At best it might favor you by chance, but for how long? It’s foolish to think we have any agency in a system that is predicated on algorithmic handicapping. Most of us don’t even know it’s going on, but I didn’t think that was you. Don’t sacrifice your life to a lie.

From prodigy to prodigal son, or estranged brother…I haven’t lost my faith in you. You are an intelligent person who obviously has media literacy and critical thinking skills. One day you will recover your original conviction, and reconcile with the truth. On that day, I’ll welcome you with open arms. And if you want to keep talking with me now, I promise to engage with good faith, love, and respect.

Come back to us, BrightTitan! We need you in this fight.

5 Likes

Fantastic post Cuthburt and I do agree with you

2 Likes

Thanks HULK! I made some structural mistakes in the original post which should be fixed in the last edit…

1 Like

Every person who has ever climbed to a higher ranked will beg to differ.

Yes. The previous quote of you illustrates very clearly your assumptions are wrong, otherwise you wouldn’t arrive at the conclusion that the matchmaker “is not a force you can […] study and overcome.”

Also, what bothers me with the discourse on this forum is this cult-like behavior of the two opposing views on how the matchmaker works, and this post radiates exactly this. Bright digged a little deeper, looked at independent research, and – in light of the evidence – changed his mind. In response, you act like you’ve just lost your son in a freak accident. To be fair, I did wonder how you would react to this, guess now I know.

11 Likes

And it still amazes it me till this day that people will write lengths about how the matchmaker is rigged when in reality it isn’t.

17 Likes

Don’t care didn’t ask ratio

10 Likes

Stop calling out specific accounts in your post titles just because they disagree with you.

9 Likes

That’s a lie, I don’t do that! I’ve made posts about players who have supported my argument, as BrightTitan has in the past. I don’t make posts about most of my detractors because their disagreement is too vacuous to warrant response. BrightTitan has demonstrated strong reasoning skills in the past, so I expect he will reason his way back to the truth. In fact this is the first thread I’ve made in response to a specific poster, which is kind of special honestly. This is hardly a call out, and I do it with no disrespect, unlike you pal.

1 Like

Hello! Thanks for the nice words, Cuthbert. :slight_smile: It’s been a whirlwind the past few days. Sister’s long time bf just popped the question last week so our family and his had a little impromptu get together, a little traveling, a little merrymaking. And we have not yet been attacked by Will Smith, so good fortune smiles upon us. :slight_smile:

I will definitely reply soon!

7 Likes

The Code of Conduct clearly states not to name specific people in your thread titles. Reminding you of the rules isn’t disrespect; it’s attempting to keep your account from being actioned.

This could have been a private message.

7 Likes

You have issues and should seek professional help.

8 Likes

Dude… You’re really going to paint Titan as some kind of Grand Betrayer?! That’s completely unnecessary. This isn’t international politics.

Looking at the game with eyes shut, its very easy to understand how someone might arrive at the conclusion that the game is rigged against you.

By this I mean, matching players of equal skill together and requiring that all teammates put forth their best effort (EVERY SINGLE GAME) to be successful/climb, is exhausting.

• And as you clearly have experienced, very frustrating.

By taking a step back and observing the variables of a match (Balanced, unbalanced, ROFLSTOMP, draw), you can break down the individual performance issues that lead to your team collapsing to the other team.

By observing these variables and learning to maximize your personal performance, you are able to overcome the inconsistent performance of player’s you’re matched against.

Minimizing the amount of opportunities for exploit by your enemies makes you a better player and as you progress through your games and continue learning and focusing on micro-managing these aspects, you very much defeat the MM which isn’t asking to be defeated in the first place.

Its simply granting your request to be placed in balanced and fair matches based on your consistent ability to perform in a competitive environment.

• No smoke and mirrors, no boogie man trying to oppress the gamers. Just algorithmically sorted and compiled data to provide you with the most balanced competitive experience, CUSTOM FIT to your ability as a player.

Dude!! Super congratulations!!
:confetti_ball: :tada: :firecracker:
Hope they have an excellent life together!!

Enjoy your time with family away from all this nonsense!! Don’t feel the need to come back here. Your time is better spent in the real world with real people!!

Chris Rock did nothing wrong. He’s literally a comedian. Its his job to be insensitive.

• Not to mention, can we address how much class it takes to take a disrespect like that and turn it around into a positive experience?

It is when feelings matter more than logic.

5 Likes

One can create humor without being mean spirited or punching down. Rock fails at both.

1 Like

The level of delusion is unreal. Some people are just unable to accept that they simply are not… sufficiently skilled. It is commonly seen IRL as well.

7 Likes

Respectfully I disagree.

That said, it’s not exactly the topic of these forums.

1 Like

True, but it’s as least as relevant as this thread, right? :rofl:

1 Like

Forum users explaining the atomic structure of the solar system to justify their lose streak

11 Likes

Imagine if they put a QUARTER of that effort writing copiumfilled essays into improving themselves, they do all be top 10 players by now :rofl:

7 Likes

Is people still answering to this troll thread?
Surprised it hasn’t been taken down already.

3 Likes

Calling for censorship! From “The Intellectual Coward’s Playbook,” page 1.

1 Like