Cole Cassidy is also the name of an irl person

But he is has no relation with Bliz so… :clown_face:

2 Likes

And there’s a difference between something coincidentally having the same name as someone, and something deliberately named after someone.

You massive genius.

3 Likes

Seeing how Blizzard is naming him after Butch Cassidy, I think its safe to say theyre being quite hypocritical, and this was a pathetic attempt to sweep their legal nonsense under the rug just to virtue signal with the IRL McCree

3 Likes

Who is butch cassidy?

A US Wyoming outlaw, leader of Cassidy’s Wild Bunch

1 Like

Hopalong Cassidy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopalong_Cassidy

And where does it say he was named after “Butch” specifically? Because I just read AndyB’s posts.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/cole-cassidy…-i-love-it/638393/34

1 Like

Please do not drag the immortal witch C.C. into anything to do with blizzard.

(not referring to the dev team, i refer to the corpo entity, the dev team gets much love from me)
Blizzard wants to convince you they care, while doing everything but showing it and C.C. just wants to be loved genuinely while doing everything to prove it.

Really? Says the dude that came out with this absolute gem?:

Enjoy your silence btw.

3 Likes

1- they didnt name him after butch cassidy, its a reference. Theres a difference.
2- butch cassidy is long dead
3- butch cassidy didnt work for blizzard or have any associations with blizzard

Im sorry but if you genuinely think that referencing a famous dead cowboy is the same as directly naming a character after someone who works at blizzard, you are purposefully being obtuse for the sake of not liking the name change.

7 Likes

I’d rather they change the name to something less generic, personally.

That’s awfully close to ceedee. Ceedee Lamb is the name of a wide receiver on the dallas cowboys

So you were given the name Jake by your parents which you were named after your formally employed sexual harassment activist Uncle at Blizzard.

Your NEW name will be Barney instead.
No problem. That’s what everybody does.

There’s a difference between coincidentally being named after a random person, and being directly named after a person who harassed that harassed your colleagues.

1 Like

Names are meaningless. We don’t change our own Names just cuz we were named after someone w/ our name that committed some acts of Evil.

We know How to distinguish ppl as individuals yet Video Game characters are NOT allowed to be separate individuals w/ their own unique traits & personalities?

Even if someone was victimized by that individual on the OW Dev Team itself I am certain they know the difference between OW McCree vs WoW McCree.

2 Likes

Every name is the name of a real person. Only way to get around that is to name him something like “Jarfurious Carnoovooloo Jr.”

1 Like

Great name, but could cause some issues on comms.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

There is also a difference between a video game character and a real human. The real human feels attached to his name. You normally don’t feel attached to a video gaming character.

Ofc they do. But maybe they just hate fact that their product was named after someone they dislike (could still be a PR thing but you know what I mean). It’s not like they think they are the same person.

1 Like

That’s obviously incorrect otherwise nobody would even challenge the notion of calling McCree instead Cole or Cassidy.

We are indeed attached to the characters. Some of us just less attached than others or are willing to adjust while others are going to remain defiant since McCree was the name we were given 5-6 years ago not yesterday.

Well… I meant in a sense that you would cry over it or get depression. Imagine someone would force-rename you because you have the same name as some random criminal you have never heard about you.

Everyone can live with a character’s name change. It does not affect them.