Cole Cassidy? I’ll stick to cowboy

The problem is that Butch Cassidy is one of the most well-known cowboy outlaws ever. He’s a household name and otherwise Cassidy is an uncommon name at best. To say that they didn’t draw inspiration from Butch just seems disingenuous to me. He’s the reason why the name is ‘cowboyish’ at all.

I don’t have a problem with naming him that, but let’s at least be honest with ourselves here.

4 Likes

Exactly, Cole Cassidy is scary to you. It has intimidation factor.

1 Like

I think i saw only post from him about other way around, about spam reports for not calling him old name.

1 Like

To be fair, im bad with names, he either get some easy to remember nick name or i will be lost in the game more than usually XD

2 Likes

That’s not a problem at all. What I was getting at is that they probably did gather the name Cassidy from Butch Cassidy. I imagine it was one of many names that they threw into a pot and paired against eachother (i.e. the same process they talked about when discussing how they got the name “Jesse Mccree”)

The point is, that’s not the same thing as intentionally naming him after Butch Cassidy.

Actually you’re right. I stand corrected.
But to “Jeongyeon” if you wanna test your luck to see if they’re gonna ban people for calling him Mccree, please go ahead.

I think the takeaway from that post was “don’t report players for using names you don’t like” tbh.

edit:
AndyB has explicitly said this will not be the case:

1 Like

What about John Doe?

Isn’t that the standard name for people (or corpses) found with no way to identify themselves? The female equivalent would be Jane Doe

1 Like

If only the name Cole didn’t remind me of either “coleslaw” or “Old King Cole” and if I hadn’t known several dainty girls with the name “Cassidy” in real life…

3 Likes

Cole should remind you of coal, a very hearty American pastime

1 Like

Give it a few months. You’ll adjust.

2 Likes

Sorry, where did I say that I prefer the name McCree?

Some of you “I offend people at random even if I apparently don’t know how to comprehend a written post” are really seeing things that don’t exist.

3 Likes

There is no feasible way this is not a reference to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid considering that it was sort of a huge western at the time a lot of the head developers would have been growing up. Its just not practical to believe that in a room full of people NONE of them made that pitch unknowingly.

4 Likes

Just gonna call him. C2 from now on.

What? That’s exactly what they did. They threw McCree’s name in the pot with a bunch of other cowboy-sounding names and voted on it. Several dev videos had confirmed that exact scenario.

2 Likes

I think we should be free to call him whatever we want, call him McCree if you want there is nothing wrong with it and they said it was fine.

1 Like

im glad they said this tho since its gonna be real hard for me and i bet most people to get use to the change. for what 5 years we have known him as jesse and he is really an iconic character since a cowboy and american. the sooner it happens the better tho so i can start to familiarize with it. i might turn on voice chat (havnt in over a year) just to see how people respond :grin:

Thats part of the issue, the name is printed in our brains. Its not just a matter of getting used to for some people he will always be McCree and thats fine, we should be free to refer to him as McCree if we want. The name change was done for the devs not for us, so we dont need to use it if we dont want to. At the same time I wont blame anyone using the new name, we arent dumb, we will know what is being talked about regardless of what name is being used.

And honestly for some of us, the new name is ugly af. If they wouldve chosen a name I likee I would consider using it but Cole Cassidy aint it, it feels off by a long shot.

3 Likes

just don’t swap it into Cassidy Cole because it’s a stage name of a rather ‘Spicy’ performer.

4 Likes

its as eerie as the mandella effect. i could have swore it was the bernstein bears and stouffer’s stove top stuffing.

like 20 years later its the berENSTAIN bears and stove top stuffing was never stoufers?