Cole Cassidy….. I Love It!

sounds like a salad dressing but hey its a name i never would have come up with. i would have named him after a real outlaw like johnny ringo but that would probably create problems with peeps too

might as well turn him into a girl at this point

3 Likes

What about all the interactions between 32 characters that have to be changed and/or re recorded? No one is talking about it

Pretty sure all of them that directly referred to him as Jesse or McCree were removed entirely from the game with the Halloween patch.

I will definitely be referring to him as Coleslaw.

9 Likes

A real outlaw you say…

Cassidy is a pretty well established outlaw name :wink:

16 Likes

hah yea “butch casisidy” and the sundance kid (Harry Alonzo Longabaugh). maybe his great geat great great grandfather? be some nice lore-bits there

1 Like

Doesn’t work. It would have to be Cole Parker. As Butch Cassidy’s real name was Robert Leroy Parker

It works…

(Type 20 characters or so).

Also, we’d like to hear the story behind this please. (Not the one thing.)

Was there a game, a voting contest, a role of the dice or spin the wheel? :stuck_out_tongue:

I dunno, “Cassidy” is just about the blandest name you could give to a cowboy. I wish they kept the “Mc”.

2 Likes

To expand on Andy’s point, the reference is to Butch Cassidy a known historical outlaw from the 19th century American west. Ironically, Ashe’s nickname “Calamity” comes from a person who was never an outlaw but actually an American folklore heroine.

(from Wikipedia)

3 Likes

I like it. Obviously the community is going to say it’s terrible at first, because they’d naturally say that about any name change. If his original name were Cole Cassidy and it were just changed to Jesse McCree, people would have the same reaction.

As for the weird complaints that Cassidy can be a girl’s name, that might be a deliberate effort to retain a gender-neutral portion of his name LIKE JESSE.

5 Likes

Nothing quite so complicated.

Names were able to be submitted by the entirety of the team, expectations around community thoughts were communicated, the narrative team and Team 4 leads narrowed it down to a few candidates. After that we had to check with Legal, regional teams (for any unintended cultural significances), and other business partners within the organization.

23 Likes

That would be kinda funny

So is the story retconned so that the name was always Cole, or is it that McCree changed his name for some story reason?

I’m ecstatic because I have even more reasons to make fun of McCree mains now. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Very historical…

Okay so onto the new CHANGE for the game.

Time to fix Widowmaker and Tracer again. She does need a shirt-top for that jumpsuit and the poor gal needs a back brace too. I can’t imagine the pain her back has. :slightly_frowning_face:

He assumed his true identity with this announcement.

16 Likes

Seems like Cole Cassidy abandoned his name when he was young, and took up the name Jesse McCree. Now that he’s trying to redeem himself, he’s dropping the name he used as a criminal and going back to his birth name.

4 Likes

Thank you for responding to my post and letting us know on the Change. Do you think you will do youtube posts like Jeff use to do?

“The Jeff From the Overwatch team”. :sunglasses:

Thank you for posting!!

:+1: