Charactersrequi

Yeah, Mercy’s been so much better recently. She’s getting a ton of value.

The only reason people find Mercy boring is because her kit doesn’t really show the value she can get, and the really big carry plays that a Mercy can make are kind of like “oh wow cool”. Now i’m a mid gm (4400 peak season 15) Mercy player and when I make carry plays I see it, and it feels good. But it wasn’t always like that, a while back I just didn’t see the carry potential of the hero to actually appreciate it.

Another reason for this is there isn’t that much you can really do if your team aren’t cooperating. Widow can land headshots, genji can kill 6 with blade, Ana can heal through dumb players who feed. Mercy really can’t do any of that, she can only carry dumb players to a certain point. This makes games just feel out of your control completely sometimes.

Buff probably is happening tbh

Yeah… They do need to get better at aiming if they can’t hit a Mercy. They also should be holding on to ults cause of rez but people said ‘screw that!’ and chucked everything without thinking about the Mercy and complained when it backfired.

3 Likes

Their opinion is, because they named some specific factors that they feel makes Mercy unfun. Your opinion boils down to “Nuh uh” by comparison.

8 Likes

That’s actually a really poor argument in context. The forum population is much smaller than the game’s population, enough so to consider it not a good sample size. Overwatch subreddit has a lot more unique visits and a much broader group of regular’s, for instance.

1 Like

Tbf I don’t think I said that it’s only the forums. I’m sure other places complain too such as reddit YouTube twitter twitch etc. Now as for why they care, uh hello? It’s just custom games lol, not the real game. And not everyone is gonna want to join these “mass rez lobbies” so good luck finding ppl. Sure they may join eventually, enjoy the long wait tho

But I didn’t say they have to stop playing it now did I. I simply made a suggestion that if you don’t enjoy playing it then don’t play it, it’s that simple. I play it and to me it is fine and doesn’t need to be changed. I’m allowed to have a different opinion about it. Also I never said the other side can’t have their opinion. All I said is they probably aren’t gonna change the character

right and I never said they can’t, just that change to the character is unlikely

Probably not happening considering it’s the 3rd most picked character at Grandmaster level and 4th most picked overall

Well Goodman said they ARE looking into possibly buffing her damage boost when it was asked if there was a to buff her up to 55hps. Just unsure how to go about it cause they don’t want a boosted Junkrat taking out 200hp heroes so easily

And how long has it been since he said that, weeks, months? If they were gonna do that I think it would’ve been on PTR already. And now that mercy is back in the top 5 most used characters it’s especially unlikely that they would buff her

Thats just how it is for Mercy in general. She has the same value and is as powerful as it takes to use her. Other heroes like ones you mentioned (Genji, Widow) have higher skill ceiling so more value/more powerful so games are more in your control

I… just want her on fire rate looked at. It’s crazy low.

If we’re nitpicking though, I wouldn’t mind a shorter valk duration with a little more oomph behind it. I don’t care if the numbers balance out to be the exact same amount of healing/boosting in that time frame. But being able to use valk in a bit more of a defensive fashion would be cool.

It’s hard for a character who can only heal/dmg boost/Rez to really be “on fire” tho. It’s probably at the correct rate already considering her lower power level, the fire rate would most likely be low as well. And Battle mercy picking ppl off gets her on fire of course but then you’re not doing your job

See, there we have problems. Because stats do not work that way.
I’ll take an exotic example. We haven’t looked at a lot of protons - I mean, we have looked at a crazy amount of them -but we haven’t look at a lot compared to the number of protons in the universe.

But…

We have a pretty good idea what the next proton is going to act like. That is because the predictive power of a sample has VERY little to do with the size of the global population.

We have way MORE than enough people on the forums to get a pretty damn good sample of the global playing population.

3 Likes

Blizzard already lost 3 million of their players this quarter alone, due to their intense bungling.

Do you want to make it worse?

Think before you speak, because with that attitude the REAL alternative may very well be YOU finding a new game because this one got shut down.

As for me, am doing a daily PvE event for boxes, and then logging out. Game is not in a state I recommend playing. And Blizzard can forget me getting the All-Stars Mercy skin, even though I have all other skins for her (pre new OWL teams).

2 Likes

They didn’t lose 3 million from overwatch, but it is pretty obvious they lost a fair amount of players.

The last couple of rebalancing they have done has been pretty good, and the workshop is amazing.

But, I don’t think we are going to see those players back, and with the new player experience basically being put in a room full of smurfs and see how long you last until you break, I don’t think we will be getting new players either.

I think, OP didn’t take roleQ and what happens if more supports leave playing support, or just leave the game, into account.

I think we are losing players pretty quickly, because we can look at indirect indicators like google trends, and see get a pretty good idea of what is going on.

1 Like

In my opinion, given Mercy’s current potential power level, I’d say that the ‘on fire’ rate is probably about where it should be at the moment. Changing it would just likely effectively mask her lower amount of potential impact in matches, which shouldn’t be an option.

Complaining about something you paid for isn’t entitled, I think that’s a very easy concept to grasp even for you.

5 Likes

But those are two different things.
The proton thing is inherently non-bias because well…science can’t be bias or it doesn’t work.
The forums for this game however is a hot zone for complainers, people who are angry/mad/upset etc.
You don’t many people here who praise anything its mostly people complaining about something.
Its VEEEERY bias on multiple subjects.

Nothing can be drawn from bias data.

Megathreads for example are going to draw in a particular kind of person with the same opinions while shunning/reporting anyone with a different opinion (I’ve took many forced forum vacations due to posting a different opinion)
This makes them largely useless for statistical use as its one sided.

3 Likes

A little bit before Archives. Understandable why they haven’t implemented anything yet because of that.

“I paid so I get to be entitled.”

2 Likes

Yeah see none of that really adds up when you consider the overwatch subreddit has more unique visitors, a wider variety of regulars, and the sentiment on mercy is the polar opposite from the forums. The sample size here is smaller and by all accounts bias on that subject. You aren’t getting an accurate reading of the general population from these forums. It’s just not a reality.

If i actually cared enough, I would dig up the old survey people did on the forums about Mercy where it clearly showed the majority were mercy mains just here to complain at the time. Then you can look at the most recent #Reworkmercy™ and see how it failed in comparison to the general population’s sentiments on the matter.

1 Like

The forums have a pretty large cross section of the player base.

Sure people come here to complain, but it doesn’t invalidate it as a reasonable tool.

It is like overbuff, people who don’t like the results it gives LOVE to say it’s sample size is too small, however, other trackers give the same results, and they are sampling different people.

As far as Mercy goes, you can see the massive drop in pick rate she had from v1.0 to current.

Her win rate used to be pretty bad, but, she had a MASSIVE following. Now she has a better win rate, but lose a whole lot of players.

The complains on the forums is good for giving you the reason that happened.

She had a unique playstyle designed within an inch of its life to work for the “lots of plates in the air” crowd.

She appealed to the ‘lots of plates in the air at once’ style of players.

The issue there is, you have to be really careful with gameplay for them. They are the people who play your faster shopkeeper style games, rythem shooters etc.

All good so far, but if change the hero so it no longer targets those players and don’t have a replacement, you will see what we saw here.

A LOT of complaining, and a massive drop in pick rates, even though the hero is ‘stronger’

I expect they lost the origional designer, and didn’t understand the choices that were made around the hero.

2 Likes