Changing Mecree's Name Over Real Life Problems

I think it depends on how they implement it.

If they do something like Robin —> Nightwing where Mccree goes through something and takes on a new name, that’ll be fine and make sense without being too ridiculous.

But if they just change his name and expect people to roll with it THAT’s when it’ll be an issue. Because you can’t just pretend like he was never Mccree. There are books and what not where he has been Mccree. I think cinematics where he has been referred to as such, too.

You can’t pretend like the past doesn’t exist. So, IMO, they need to have a story reason why he’s dropping the name Mcree and becoming something else.

2 Likes

I mean they have mentioned that they are not changing any previous media-cinematics, comics, novels.

It’s just going forward it’s changing. So it could be the Robin-Nightwing thing or something like that.

1 Like

If changing a name ‘ruins’ a character then the character isn’t very well made in the first place.

Or you’re just looking for something to be upset about.

11 Likes

and what amount of people associated this person or even knew of this fact and then thought that the FICTIONAL character mcCree had literally anything to do, personality wise with the person who he got his name from.

These people always care more about signalling to other self proclaimed good people about how good they are than actually doing something good.

2 Likes

What really is destroying this game, is toxicity of players and neglection of devs. People go crazy about a name change, that literaly really doesn´t hurt game in any way - the same people, who are than toxic in game - ruining it for others. That is more concerning, than some cawboy name change…

1 Like

This is not for you.
This is not for me.
This is not for pros.
This is for the victims.

End of discussion.
You do not get a say.
Neither do I.

11 Likes

so his name should be mecree instead of his current name?

They made a mistake naming him after a developer. That’s done, they can’t change that they did it, and since then the character has taken on a life of his own. They’re making another mistake by bringing an RL scandal into their decision-making process again.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

We get a say in how we react and how we call him in the future. He will always be McCree.

They can do what they want legally, and we can think what we want of them for doing it. They had a lot of sympathy for what went on there, much of which they just spent in the eyes of many players by doing this.

4 Likes

The dev team employees aren’t policymakers at the company. That’s corporate, which are all the people that report to stakeholders… executives, HR, and attorneys.

Dev teams don’t make key decisions on removing exploitative policies or provviding backpay or eliminate clauses from the contracts or compensation. By doing this, the dev team is literally doing all they can do.

1 Like

my argument is that NOBODY knew who mccree is named after and even if they did they didn’t fall in love or get interested in the person behind the name but interested in MCCREE y’know the gun slinging bad a$$ who cannot exist in the real world bc he’s fiction…

i just feel as if the people who want the name change are desperate to make the OW department as bad as possible (most harassment was going on in wow team i believe)

4 Likes

Ya it has nothing to do with distracting the world from their overheating paper shredders.

Mostly the warning label exists so the company doesn’t get sued. Their defense becomes easy. “It literally says on the box not to eat it.”

As for as we know people at overwatch team weren’t victims, as the above post from mod shows or are they hiding that which is worse.

If they are not victims then the irl cree behaviour is well known from 2013 atleast from the evidence, then why did they name the hero with his name in the first place, and now doing a virtue signalling hypocrisy.

If he was that bad and you cared about victims on the wow team you would have done this a long ago by not naming after him.

It’s a huge waste of company time and resources, not to mention the already delayed ow2 project.

Resources that can be put into actual benefit of victims and better culture instead of this kumbhaya.

2 Likes

Oh please. The WoW team started removing offenders’ names weeks ago. Overwatch casters (Blizzard employees) started avoiding McCree’s name and referring to him as Cowboy weeks ago. It literally made news when people noticed.

Take your tinfoil hat off.

If they wanted a distraction from the lawsuit, it would be far easier to provide some sort of OW2 development update than to do something that makes everyone focus on the lawsuit.

1 Like

That’s the thing though. Everything about this change tells us it wasn’t for us. It was for the Overwatch Development Team. It sounded like they just were uncomfortable with going forward with a daily reminder of the IRL loser.

Its only a problem if you decide to see it as a problem.

a name change is hardly ruining a character

1 Like

But i can ask anyone of you. BEFORE all this happened i can almost say with 100% certain that none of you knew who Jesse McCree was on. Hell i didn’t.

This is just the PC bull.

2 Likes

Well, sadly, the developers’ real life colleague was sexually harrassing their real life friends, and they decided they don’t want to be reminded of him on a daily basis.

It shows only one thing: Blizzard is gone woke.

RIP Blizzard. Your future games gona suck. At least the old guys made good games.

They made it even official:

…will be more thoughtful and discerning about adding real world references in future Overwatch content.

So they cancel what made OW Lore so good.

Blizzard is the new EA

1 Like