Changes to Widow and Hanzo so they rely less on one shots

Chaos, makes thing more interesting.

Gotta have some of it.

Gotta keep the post up yknow. lel

At maximum, that’s 8% of the playerbase. At least 2% of which play them just because they are strong.
Then if you nerf them, at most half of them would dislike it. And at most, half of those would quit. Which gets you all the way down to less than 1% of the players.

That’s not enough players to matter.

Especially if you factor in playerbase growth.

If you can’t interact with something, it’s not interactive.

How far will that logic go until we have soldier vs soldier? Every time a percentage falls low enough you nerf them hard into the ground.

Do you really think they don’t have enough hero options in the DPS role, if Widow and Hanzo just stopped existing tomorrow?

Obviously but thats kind of necessary so things dont get too predictable.

That makes no sense, by that logic, you could keep deleting a ton of heroes just because theres a few more options, doesn’t mean they should decrease.

They can’t give hanzo a sword. Hanzo and Genji were 1 character concept that got split in two. If they give hanzo a sword, they might as well combine the characters back into the original concept.

If they had to “remove’s hanzo’s 1 shot” i’d prefer they actually lean into more of a stealth flanker hunter playstyle. My concept would turn his primary fire into something similar to storm arrow and, like you, remove his Storm arrow.

I’ve yanked some stuff from the wiki and changed numbers to exemplify what I’d personally change.

Storm Bow

Damage:27.2 - 75 (depending on charge)
Headshot:✓
Rate of fire:0.3 seconds recovery
recovery stops while using melee
Ammo:∞
Area of effect:0.1 meters arrow radius
Spread angle:Pinpoint
Move. speed:-10% penalty
Projectile speed:25 - 120 m/s

takes 0.47 seconds to reach max draw
DPS = 97.4 (same as current)

Sonic Arrow
Same as

Lunge

Max. range: 10 meters
Move. speed:15 meters per second (horizontal)

Dragon strike

Remove the dead zone so it starts on your character

Storm bow

Some sort of close ranged burst shot to give you close quarter defence.

===

General character changes

• Reduce the sounds of his footsteps so that you can actually move around the map stealthily like tracer and so many other DPS do. Even a flying pharah is quieter than this hero and she has rockets strapped to her back. With these damage numbers you literally cannot 1 shot anything except a tracer, so there’s no reason for you to be louder than a semi truck
  • Remove the Sound when he draws his bow
  • Remove the loud exhale when he lunges (the only character that has to scream to move)
  • Remove the delay on arrow firing (there’s a 0.032second delay when you release your mouse before your arrow even releases)
  • Reload speed reduces recovery time of your primary fire so that the (T)role passive actually benefits you.

All of these penalties were added to the hero over time because “he can 1 shot” giving you an entire page of drawbacks to deal with.

And no the hero doesn’t need Damage falloff or any more nonsense penalties. Junk rat can lob bomb across the map to kill things he has 0 line of sight on.

Choices that aren’t choices.
And aren’t fun.

Aren’t valuable to game design.

They are, again, in just the right amount.

Fun formatting.

And who is to say that amount isn’t in the bottom third pickrate between 18 different DPS heroes choices.

Overly frustrating gameplay doesn’t deserve to be frequent merely because it exists.

But that’s your issue. Your bias for those two clouds your mind, how far does your logic go. Kiriko is annoying and only 8% of a population plays it. If that’s the criteria for a hero being useless or deleted in the end we’ll just have mercy. That’s it. You aren’t making it better. You’re creating a slippery slope of bland gameplay. You have a biased hatred for them. That’s it. And you’ll clearly have one forever.

Also 8% is massive. Tha yes almost 1/10 of the population. Out of a roster of 38 heroes one hero is almost 8%. That’s a massive population compared to so many heroes.

Every character has some thing you cant just react to easily as well btw, thats my point, while one could argue snipers maybe are too uninteractive, i think that only applies on very long ranged maps, but i think there is a need for them to be able to sometimes just surprise you and kill you and the fault be on you not getting a good read on their position, wich is sometimes up to luck.

The way I see it.

1. I’m following guideline set by some of the best gameplay designers in the entire world. Including the TF2 devs, who designed the character Widow/Hanzo are based on.
  2. It’s very “meritocratic” that heroes should have their pickrate be based on how enjoyable/unenjoyable their counterplay design is, for the largest amount of players.

What’s “biased” is to argue that a teeny tiny fraction of players need to act as a roadblock towards larger playerbase growth.

1. You’ve never studied gameplay design, the way professionals do it. So your judgement on quality is pretty suspect.
  2. You’re basically using a logical fallacy with that. Which is pretty close to lying. Like for real, there’s 18 DPS hero choices, and you’re acting like nerfing snipers immediately reduces that down to 1 DPS hero choice. Which is entirely dishonest.

Well that’s the thing. Either drop their frustration level. Or nerf them down to the point where they are “niche map specific heros”.

Then why do a majority of fps games have snipers? Just to trigger people? Because they’re popular. You hate snipers. But fps gamers love them. This logic of only 8% play therefore the other 92% hate snipers is flawed.

Snipers are already niche map specific heroes is the thing though, specially Widow.

1 Like

Because pretty much every other modern FPS game in existence has better counterplay design vs Snipers.

• COD/Battlefield have severe damage reduction at range, with extremely bright “Scope Glint”. BattleField even has Reverse damage dropoff at closer ranges.
  • Apex, bullet drop, but also you can’t oneshot with the Kraber unless it’s damage boosted with a large stationary deployable. And the Kraber is an extremely rare lategame pickup with limited ammo.
  • TF2, the Sniper is extremely squishy with basically no escape when rushed at close range. And a Spy with a Deadringer, Spycicle, and either Enforcer, Diamondback, Ambassador just gets free kills on them.
  • Halo, just shooting even 1 point of damage descopes a Sniper, and they get 8 total bullets, with generally shorter ranged maps. Not to mention extremely bright “Scope Glint”. And otherwise just avoid maps you don’t like.
  • CS/Valorant, it’s extremely risky to buy sniper rifles for Econ reasons, and otherwise there’s just a ton of smokes/flashes, and the vast majority of the level design is shorter ranges. And otherwise 2 bullets from an Assault Rifle or even 1 Deagle shot is enough to counter right back.

By comparison, with Overwatch:

1. Hiding behind a wall/barrier 90% of the game is frustrating/boring.
  2. Trying to dive Widow/Hanzo when they can either easily run away, or drop 450-900 damage in 1.2sec. Is frustrating and unreliable.
  3. Sniping Snipers with more Snipers, just makes the issue worse for everybody else.

Are they in the bottom third pickrate out of 18 DPS hero choices?

Holy **** you type fast.

No good hard data to go by but for sure Widow isnt nearly at the top of the most popular heroes, since on most maps you’re throwing on her and i personally dont see Widow all that often unless on sniper maps.