Change McCree name back

Becoming synonymous with terrorism is different from one guy using the name once to commit a terrorist act. I would even agree that, if the name McCree was literally synonymous with abuse, they should change it, but in this case one guy with the name did something once ALLEGEDLY.

I don’t even think he has charged brought up on him, but I could be wrong. Its just weird that you can have literally no legal repercussion, and no evidence besides being named by someone who, for all we know, can be wrong or misled, and now everyone thinks there’s something wrong with the person and the name.

Well, no. The put the name in because McCree sound like a cowboy name. Its not like they said “We shall now honor our McCree by immortalizing his name forever in our game Overwatch. May he draw power from it forever!”.

Which, if they did do that, I’d also be fine with them removing it. It seemed more like a “oh, lmao, Jesse McCree already sounds like a good name. Job done, lets work on the next guy”.

2 Likes

hey little legal tip no charges dont mean it didnt happen neither does a not guilty at a trial

What are they gonna do? “Oops sorry, I know we just changed it but a bunch of people on the internet called us oversensitive snowflakes.”

No, we don’t know a lot of details as to why they changed the name. Do you know who probably does? The people who asked for the change in the first place. Those people’s opinions are the one that matter here.

Make the abuser change his name

better remove overwatch league names just in case one of their members is accused of something. i mean the names of team skins are based on real life right? thats how dumb this whole argument sounds. cause it never ends.

1 Like

I mean, they did do that with the Zarya alien skin. Lol

Here’s another legal tip: no evidence of wrong doing doesn’t mean we should treat someone like they’ve done something wrong. There’s no evidence of you doing any wrong, but if some user tells me you did, I should say “Tamramx should lose everything they have. They should be banned, they should be put in jail, this person said this, and they wouldn’t lie or be wrong, so Tam is clearly an awful monster”?

1 Like

Stop trolling. McCree is a fictional character who is an important character to the Overwatch lore.

I can care less about their internal affairs. McCree is essential to OW not Cassidy…

Can care less about their feelings

This decision was questionable imo…but from a veteran to a newbie, please don’t necro a thread. Make a new one.

5 months later, and this is the kind of reply? Yikes.

2 Likes

My man literally no one cares, i dont mind what they do, no one in this earth will make me call that guy cole cassidy. It simply doesnt sound as cool or matches him as Jesse Mcree and never will.
Dont care what’s in game, the name change was the dumbest thing they ever did on this game and i(and most of the community) will call him mcree, no matter what they do

You’re the one thats trolling by mass replying to a post 5 months old?

3 Likes

~Looks at post.~
~Looks at the post date before it~
~Looks back at post.~
~Blinks~

Well that’s a awfully angry reply for a topic that is no longer irrelevant.

His is still, and will always be, McCree.

2 Likes

I hate to break to you folks, but most people don’t even know who he is named after. SO, buy screaming over and over he gets more well known. I still don’t know and don’t care. It’s a characters name and that is it.

As I don’t know what abuse there is, I will say that I am horrified by the poundmetoo crap as a lot of it turned out to be lies. The problem with that is that it actually MARGINALIZES the people that should be heard. It makes women like me question every story that comes out now.

So, as I don’t know the details, I won’t say if its true or not - but I will say its just a character name and 100% better than what the screen says now…

1 Like

They didn’t change it for you.

They changed it for the people working there, so they didn’t have to be reminded of him everyday.

I could give a flying fig about your opinions on a name that is emotionally exhausting for his actual victims.

But you play the victim of a name change all you want. His name won’t change. It wasn’t about you then, it’s not about you now.

I’m a survivor of SA and if I had to hear his name at my workplace every single day I would have to find another job. I’m glad they valued their workers over a silly name.

And here’s the neat part. You can call him his deadname as much as you like. You think you’re being smart, or owning someone or winning somehow but it doesn’t matter. It never mattered. Because the people the name change protected will still be protected. And whatever words you use to describe him doesn’t reach them. They don’t read your posts. So call him whatever you like.

With their blessing in fact. Documented blessing in fact.

It’s tough learning that not everything is about you though isn’t it?

3 Likes

Changing his name was the silliest thing Ive ever seen. I will never NOT call him McCree. Jesse McCree for life!

I literally dont care about some d-bag of a person that they got name inspiration from. Never gave him thought before, and certainly not now. Jesse McCree in game is clearly a better person anyhow.

If anything, the IRL person could learn a thing or 2 from him. According to Ana, McCree always was a gentleman.

The better solution to this whole problem was to write into lore, and voicelines about how much better or a person McCree is and how he treats women with respect. Make him even more classy.

No matter how many times Echo repeats Cole Cassidy, he will always be McCree in my books.

3 Likes

They changed it because of what the person he was named after did so they did something respectable