Change McCree name back

As a woman, I hate that that made me laugh.

1 Like

Blizzard logic: You must change the name your parent gave you at birth if criminals has the same name as you or you will hold the same responsibility as them.

except nobody is acting like it, especially blizzard lol. everyone is jumping the gun, pun intended.

nobody had the optics to even see until they made the name change and gave it way more eyes than it previously had.

It already happened. The in universe explanation was that Cole Cassidy was always his real name. He called himself Jesse McCree as a pseudonym to try and keep the law off of his true identity. He carried it into blackwatch to keep his real identity secret from the public, which makes sense since the operations they normally did were undercover and potentially damaging for overwatchā€™s reputation. Itā€™s only after the recall that he chose to be true to himself and use his real name because he could finally fight for just cause that he believed in.

Watch RL sex offenders start changing their names now to get off of ā€œThe Listā€.

How long until people realize that most people remember McCree because of the hero in Overwatch, not an actual person? A lot of people didnā€™t even know it was in reference to the former dev until Blizzard said that, so they just ended up shooting themselves in the foot in the end.

Cole Cassidy sounds like a name Stan Lee could make.

except itā€™s not coincidental, is it?

they named the cowboy after that specific member of staff because they wanted to honour him, a terrible mistake in a post-saville world. they removed all references to the cosby suite guys (good) but now i have to scream his new name* (bad)

* = in match, of course! what else were you thinking? :woozy_face:

Get over it, itā€™s just sad at this point.

This is absolutely already happening, along with something elseā€¦

^This!
I still call him McCree and why? Because after 5 years of Overwatch McCree is its own identity, no one I know including me knew McCree was named after someone working at Blizzard at the time.

And the reason of the change has the complete opposite effect on me and let me explain why lol.

If I hear McCree even today I think of the OW character and not a moment of the Blizz employee as McCree is a cowboy name who has his own identity and personality.

But if I hear or read Cassidy my mind instantly goes to remembering the Blizzard employee as his name change was because of what a person did and now as a result Cassidy is linked to the Blizzard employee and the reason why connected the new name more to the Char then his actual name.

McCree was his own personality with his own backstory and I bet 99% of the playerbase did not even knew it was named after someone. But now 100% of the playerbase think of the Blizz employee as that is the sole purpose of the name change to Cassidy.

Everyone here is reminded of a bad person the moment they hear Cassidyā€¦ Before the change no one even knew McCree was named after him and so the smart asses now actually linked the char to the employee in the minds of MANY.

2 Likes

The really strange part about all of this is how a name change in real life is no big deal. People get married or divorced and change names. Friends decide to go by the long/short version of their name. Pretty much every actor has changed their name to a stage name.

nobody cares and nobody picks this as the issue they make a random stand on for some reason. Nobody is calling Tom Cruise his birth name of Thomas Mapother. They donā€™t even call him Thomas Cruise, itā€™s just Tom Cruise.

that fact anyone cares Cree/Cole got a name change or makes a big deal out of it is a bit embarrassing for the OW community in general.

1 Like

Give a story like that to gaming journalists and it hits the forums within minutes.

Was he charged with an actual crime though?

Nope. Nobody outraged by this on the forums even knows what he did.

You mean Joel?

Cuz his real name is Joel.

Once Mcree always Mcree

It would have been easy to keep him McCree while nerfing his first nameā€¦ā€œIā€™ve never been Jesse McCree, that was just a first name I used to make me sound evilā€

But he did nothing, he wasnā€™t even accused of anything other than being in the same room with the people who were accused.